“Group Diving Trip”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kralendijk
Roanoke, Virginia
“Group Diving Trip”
Reviewed 22 November 2012

The Sand Dollar was pretty much as advertised. It's a fairly typical Caribbean timeshare/condo development that rents/trades time when the owners aren't using their units. We looked at several different units while we were there, most were pretty much the same level of quality. Some were in need of new doors [all the doors are louvered and the older ones didn't close well so air-conditioning escaped and bugs came in], some didn't have screened porches. For the second and third floor rooms, probably less of an issue, but all of the first floor porches really need to be screened in, only about 2/3rds are.

Some things didn’t work [like the TV in our bedroom] and unless it’s critical to the usability of the unit, it doesn’t appear they make repairs during your stay the way a hotel/resort would. The other TV in our unit worked, so this wasn’t an issue for us. The door to the screened porch was broken to the point where the only way to open it was to give it a kick at the bottom when you wanted out – again, minor flaws are very typical of owner rented units throughout the Caribbean, not something unique to this facility.

The front desk staff was very helpful when we needed anything, others commented that they had bad experiences with the desk staff – this wasn’t the case with us. We stayed in our room on one of the cleaning days and the cleaning staff was very pleasant and thorough – again others commented that they had issues with house cleaning, we didn’t have any issues during our stay.

The kitchen was well stocked with dishes and utensils; we cooked all our breakfasts and a handful of other meals. None of the pots/pans/utensils were state of the art, but they were serviceable. Our stay was during the “rainy season” so we did see a few more critters in the kitchen than we’d have liked to. We bought some insect spray at the local market and a few shots under the sink on the first day eliminated most of the ants we were seeing. I expect during the dryer months it would be less of a problem. Also be aware that during the rainy months an insect repellent is NOT optional, on our first night on the island, my wife counted up over 40 bites from no-see-ums and mosquitoes. A little insect repellent each day took that number down to a few each day afterwards.

Look hard at the local menus before you go out for lunch/dinner, we only found a few places that we enjoyed. All had great venues, but the food was often not to our liking. For lunch there is a little strip mall directly in front of the property with good sandwiches and there is a restaurant on property [Eddy’s] that had a good lunch and dinner each day [located beside the pool]. I understand that Eddy’s hours seem to fluxuate, this week they were open all week for all three meals. We did try out several other restaurants around town during our stay, easiest way seemed to do a bar crawl in the afternoon, checking out dinner menus along the way. After a couple days of this, we really only found a couple places that we liked [Karels, Eddy’s, Rum Runner, Wanttaburger and Buddy’s Dive Pool Bar]. Our taste is definitely not “international” so I’m sure others would have a completely different opinion, for us it was tough to find food that didn’t have “that little extra thing” that made it taste/look/sound just awful – a few that fell into this category were [City Café, Bistro de Paris, Spice Beach Club]. The absolute worst meal we had while on the island was at Spice, I’m not sure what was in their hamburger, but it wasn’t any four-legged animal I recognized.

The part everyone probably wants to really hear about is the diving. I really don’t know what they could do better in this regard. The briefing was great [Shaun was our briefer and he was very good], he gave us ideas about how to handle our week and how/where to go, logistics, safety etc. They have a locked gear room with a code for everyone to use for 24hr access. Tanks were setup the same way, they were kept up on shore for anyone diving away from the property and kept on the dock for anyone diving on the house reef – again both had a code for guests to use for 24hr access. The dock facility was great, steps for in and out, showers, separate rinse tanks [4 of them] for gear and cameras. We kept our gear on our porch since we were in the A unit, it really was about the same walk to the room as it was to the 24hr gear locker so we opted to hang it on the porch. It appears each porch is setup with plenty of pegs on the walls just for gear. They have two dive shops on property, we dove with Bonaire Dive and Adventure wich is adjacent to the property, the onsite property doesn't seem to really be up and in full swing yet. The two LDS are physically back to back on the property line, you'd have to check with Dive Friends to see what their agreement is for use of the BDA dock facilities - there seems to be some friction in this reguard.

All in all – we feel we got a good value for our money. This property is a SCUBA lovers paradise, the amenities are really tailored for divers, if you're mixing up your holiday with a lot of different activities, this might not be the place for you.

Room Tip: 1- Ask for a room with a screened porch 2- Make sure all the rooms in your unit are airconditioned...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PA-VTFan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Sand Dollar Bonaire:

PROS: Was very happy to have a screened patio on our condo. Happy with the location of the property,

CONS:
1. This was my third stay at the Sand Dollar Bonaire. I found it to me is disrepair and very uncaring staff. I was told the units were air conditioned but they failed to tell me if I wanted $10.00 a day extra to use it!! Bang a extra $140.00 charge right off the bat.
I was told there is internet, but upon my arrival there was none. The office staff told me it has been down since the large storm many months ago, and I would have to do with!! I run a business in the states and need to have the net to keep on top of my business. I would have never booked at Sand Dollar if I knew there was not internet. (no sorry sir I will try to help sir) I ended up across the way from Sand Dollar at on of the stores that had the internet. But of course that meant walking there every time I need to use it.
The new Manager of Sand Dollar found out how pissed off I was and came to talk too. After telling him I had wireless internet to my room why can I not have access to it. It made it happen for me. He was the only bright point of Staff I encounter at Sand Dollar. He truly cared and took care of the problem. Thank Charles Vos, You the only one doing a good job.
House clearing staff did the bear minimum to keep the room up with towels or cleaning on the,
“Every third day “ But press me to leave a tips for better service!!! No they didn’t come right out and say it but I was implied every time They saw me.
They were painting the building I was staying in witch give the phrase “Island Time” a whole new meaning! The generator house is in disrepair with it’s door louvers falling off and many other repairs need around the ground. Maintenance seam to be as corrupted as the house cleaning staff.
I come to find out that Charles Vos’s hand are tied due to the fact no one can get fired from there job here and that the staff is doing every thing in there power to make sure Charles Vos fails as manager at Sand Dollar! (NO Charles Vos did not say this to me. I was told this from the shop keepers out in front of Sand Dollar.
I was told that local calls were free at the office but when I went there to make a call they tried to shake me down for $2.00s a min. per call.

The owner at Sand Dollar better find a way to keep the new manager and replace the staff.
Back stabbing and corruption seem to be running ramped at you property!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Aqualung A
CatDiveProvo, Marketing at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time for writing your review.

The issues that you have mentioned all have my priority to repair and without going into detail I can assure you that each and every experience that you have described will be handled.
At this moment I can only thank you for your detailed review which has at least given me the tools to accurately work on the problems.

I am truly sorry for the behavior of some of my staff and I will be contacting you personally to speak of this in more detail.

Sand Dollar Condominiums
P.O.Box 262 , Bonaire
Dutch Caribbean
Tel: 599-717-8738
Fax: 599-717-8760
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This condominum is right next to an excellent dive shop. The unit was clean and the daily maid visits a delight! Screened porches on some units and well worth it for sitting outside in "buggy" season. Shore diving was fabulous as was the boat dives we took.

Room Tip: If you dive, then Unit A and B are the ones closest to the docks and dive shop. Closer to carry the...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Scubaqueen01
Indy
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This is our eighth time to stay with Sand Dollar and unfortunately may be the last. We loved our room (B5). Its the 2nd time we stayed there.We love the location, the convenience, Eddys Bar and Grill, and Bari Reef.

But the service at Sand Dollar must be reflective of new management or the lack thereof. While I could really care less about using the internet while I'm there, some in my party needed access for personal and professional reasons. We were there for two weeks and never had internet availability. Eventually those needing access had to go over to the chat and browse to conduct business.

Evidently there is a shortage of toilet paper and soap on the island. We only got rooms cleaned on Mondays and Thursdays.. I'm OK with that, but if that is your plan then provide us with a few extra towels, extra soap, and by all means EXTRA TOILET PAPER! There were four of us in the room, no extra paper left. One of us went to the front office to get extra and were given one roll. When ask for more the little angry man behind the counter refused, saying the maid would bring more later. I had to go over again and ask the same little angry man a few days later and again was told the maid would bring it! Holy Crap! There seems to be a rif between sand dollar and the on site dive center. Evidently sand dollar is building their own dive shop. Really? They can't even keep us in crap paper, how can we expect them to run a proper dive center? They need to be sure they are providing the basic services expected in the provided rooms, before expanding to other ventures.

I hope they get back to where they were a few years ago. We love the location, Bari Reef, the convenience, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ico400
CatDiveProvo, Marketing at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Thank you very much for your review and your loyalty over the years.

I am sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t as comfortable as it has been in the past and I can assure you that this has nothing to do with any managerial changes that have been made.

Just before your arrival, Bonaire was hit by a terrible thunderstorm. Sand Dollar was struck by lightning 3 times in one night. The roof of the D building was hit and damaged a lot of the televisions and personal internet modems, the lights of the tennis courts were hit and damaged and our wireless antenna was hit and damaged the entire wireless system including all wifi access points.

Although my staff started with repairs early the next morning we have the handicap, like most small Caribbean Islands, that materials and stock are very limited and especially with items as a wireless internet access points and tennis lighting which have to be imported from the US.

We hope to have the repairs finalized by this Tuesday the 16th. During the period of outage we have been offering the use of wireless internet at both Eddy’s Bar & Grill and Between 2 Buns (both on the Sand Dollar property) free of charge.

I truly apologize for all inconveniences and will do my utmost to make your next stay as comfortable as you have experienced in the past.

Lees Summit, MO
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Great friendly staff, frequent housekeeping, location, location, location. The condos are comfortable and the grounds are well maintained. We ate at Edy's every morning for breakfast. Nice to have someone cook for you and good variety. Atmosphere is very relaxed and most residents do their own thing but very easy to meet other divers. Draws a diverse mix of US, French, Dutch, British, families and groups. Maybe not for everyone but this is our 4th time and will stay there again. Recommended to a friend who had stayed at Divi and Buddy's previously and they now book at Sanddollar for all their viists.
Give it a try and you will return. !

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank traveljunkie_MO
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 July 2012

5th stay at Sand Dollar - We come to dive and do not require fancy digs
We stayed in unit C9 (2 bedroom) this year and last.

The Good
- Good value for clean unit with screened in porch, ocean view and good AC
- Easy access to Bari Reef when diving with collated dive shop BDA (Bonaire Dive and Adventure)
- 24/7 access to tanks for shore diving with BDA package
- Bari Reef itself is fantastic diving
- Breakfast package with Eddy's
- Friendly service.. the staff is great

The Bad
- It's time for C9 to get a general renovation and an update. The unit overall is worn and tired, shower doors are corroded and bathrooms smell of mildew.
- Sand Dollar and BDA are having some sort of snit (more on this later)

The Ugly
- We saw a rat run accross the floor in the living room last year (we named him Ricky)
- We heard Ricky scratching around again this year in his usual hiding place
- When your guests start naming the rat, it's time to eliminate the rat

BDA commentary
For five years we have taken the package with BDA and have been very satisfied.
For some unknown reason Sand Dollar has decided to de-partner with BDA and partner with another dive shop. This does not serve customers well. Which option would you rather take:
1. 24/7 access to tanks, gear locker, rinse tanks and dock facilities at the collated dive shop
2. Get up each morning and drive around Bonaire to get your tanks. Store your stinky gear in your room

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bud P
CatDiveProvo, Marketing at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear Bud P. & BDA,

As you have noticed I have removed a part of my reaction which was posted last week. It was unfair of me to bring BDA’s good name into controversy. I am glad to hear that you have happily been diving with BDA for so long and I hope you continue doing so for many years to come. Just to properly react to you above statement, we have not de-partnered with BDA but as you can see on our website we just offer two different dive suppliers.
I would like to apologize to you and to BDA for the unfortunate situation and we hope to see you on Bonaire soon again.

Sand Dollar Condominium Resort
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We have been happy Sand Dollar customers for the last ten years but will NEVER stay there again...or should I say here again as I am sitting in the living room of unit E2 at 1:57AM local time trying to figure out what in the hell the new management was thinking when they scheduled a loud party at Eddys restaurant with live music until 3AM that is 100 ft from my door. Did I mention that I'm on the 7:00AM flight out later today?

But this is just the last event in a week of Sand Dollar disasters.

First, when we arrived, no one was here to meet us after we confirms twice that someone would. E here to give us our condo keys.

Second, the only shade by the ocean was torn down while I was sitting under it so that they could build new ones. When I asked why they couldn't tear one down and leave the other up for their guests while they built the new one, I was told that it is easier for the handyman to do both at once and that no accommodation would be made for guests. Clearly the handyman's convenience is more important than the paying guests. But the management told me not to worry as the new cabanas would be ready by the end of the week. Well, I'm only here a week!!!! BTW-it's the end of the week and you guessed it NO CABANA!

Third, the unit directly below us was having air conditioning installed and for some reason that involved jackhammer into the concrete walls for 8-10 hours a day for 3 days. We were given no notice or apology just nonstop ear splitting, teeth rattling noise.

Fourth, we were told that this was the last available 3 bedroom condo but when we got there, the Sand Dollar was only 25 percent full. If they had just used a little common sense and located us in a different building, none of this would have been an issue.

Fifth, every time that we have stayed here for the past 10 years we have had daily maid service but this time it was only Monday and Thursday. I can live without daily maid service but it would have been nice if they had told us that the maid service was only 2 days a week instead of letting us find out when the maid didn't show up and we were out of towels.
So if you hate customer service of any kind, don't want a good night's sleep, and like to pay for things that you aren't getting, the Sand Dollar is the place for you.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all...ever!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Katie G
, General Manager at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Good morning Katie,

I would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your Sand Dollar experience with me. None of the above mentioned nuisances should have occurred and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies.
As you mentioned, you have been a happy visitor to the Sand Dollar for over 10 years now. Even though the occurrences where a true disturbance to your holiday experience I hope that you can see that we are working hard making improvements.
Customer service is the most important thing to me and the Sand Dollar, and I will take the proper measures to prevent such disturbances in the future.
I would like furthermore to resolve this issue with you personally as I have failed in my customer services towards you and your family and I would like to make that right with you.
Would you be so kind as to send me your contact information at gm@sanddollarbonaire.com. Afterwards I will contact you as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.