I now understand why this condo received the range of 1 to 4 stars. My friends and I have gone to Bonaire for many years, but this was the first time we decided to try out the Sand Dollar. (my favorite place so far is still Den Laman) I arrived with 4 friends in October for our 11 day stay and were adivsed that the condo next to the one assigned to us was under re-construction and there would be the sound of a jack-hammer Mon-Friday 9-4! Thankfully that had two other 3-bedroom condos available. We did check out the original 3 bedroom condo assigned to us and it was a DUMP! The smell of mold knocked us off our feet! We then checked out the next condo that was available in two buildings over, which was lovely! Clean, nice kitchen and faced the water. Three large bedrooms, comfy beds, three FULL baths. Perfect! I did pay 45 dollars for internet access. Because of their lack of technology is not the greatest. Don't plan on using your computer during the day. We usually only had connection after 10 pm. At least it was connection so that wasn't really an issue. Here is something we DID discover. The maid service. Those gals will eat you out of house and home! We noticed all of the beer and Diet Coke disappearing at a rapid rate. Then the food! I had brought a package of Beef Jerky from the States and one day when we came back from diving, the package was opened and most of the jerky was gone! Food is expensive enough over there without having to feed their staff too. The rim of my toilet was dirty and had some hair on it, so waited to see if they would ever wipe it off. 11 days later, it was still there! That was a real thorn in our sides. They were good about leaving plenty of towels though! :)
The diving was fabulous as usual. We would stay again (maybe) if we could have the same condo unit. However, to friends I would suggest Den Laman over Sand Dollar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sand Dollar Condominiums, member of the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame, offers guests everything they need to enjoy the best of Bonaire’s scuba diving with their “Ride to the Reef” packages including condo, diving and rental truck for island exploring. All Sand Dollar units have individual modems offering free high speed Wi-Fi, air-conditioned bedrooms, full kitchens, dining and living areas, and roomy porches or balconies overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The complex includes a pool, Eddy’s bar and restaurant, several seaside lounging areas, seaside grill areas, two tennis courts, deli and ice cream parlor. Several good restaurants and a full service gym are located within easy walking distance. Sand Dollar’s on-property dive partner Dive Friends Bonaire operates a dive center adjacent to the Sand Dollar Reception Office with a drive up tank station, rinse tanks, rental gear, private gear storage lockers that can be accessed 24/7. Tanks and benches for gearing up for shore diving Sand Dollar house reef Bari Reef are located seaside just steps away from a sandy beach entry. REEF organization rates Bari Reef the #1 site in the Caribbean/Atlantic for species richness, with a recorded 403 species to date. Tanks can be access from this are 24/7, enabling diving on the house reef dawn, day, dusk and night. In addition to having Dive Friends on-property facilities at their disposal, Sand Dollar guests have the added benefit of being able to swap out tanks for shore diving at any of the Dive Friends facilities at Dive Inn, Yellow Submarine, Port Bonaire and Hamlet Oasis. Dive boats depart from Dive Friends Yellow Submarine, a 3 minute drive in your rental vehicle, at 9:00 AM for morning 2-tank dives. You’ll be back in time for lunch to then take advantage of unlimited tanks for shore diving the rest of the day. Whatever your preference – studio or three bedroom, shore diving or boat diving, they have the condominium option and dive package perfectly suited for you and your fellow travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Sand Dollar Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sand Dollar Condominium Hotel Kralendijk
- Sand Dollar Condominium Kralendijk
- Sand Dollar Condominiums Bonaire/Kralendijk