DIVING. The dive shop staff is wonderful and goes out of the way to help with your every need. However, we were not impressed with the layout for the diving activities. The dive shop is located at the far end of the lagoon. The larger boat that is typically used for the morning two-tank dives can't get under the bridge to get to the dive shop, so your gear is trucked around to the dock. The diver locker room is cramped and difficult for equipment access when multiple divers are trying to get to their equipment at the same time. Even though the resort prepositions air tanks at two points along the beach for beach dives, it is a long walk from the dive lockers with all your gear, especially your weights, to get to the access points. There are two points for walk-in, and both are difficult access through rough coral. There is one point for walk-in from a pier and down some steps. The steps are very slippery and require considerable care to avoid a fall.
FACILITIES/ROOMS. Our friends stayed in one of the premium suites, which have been completely renovated and are quite nice, and we stayed in a junior suite, which has had the bathroom renovated. In both the premium and juniors, the bathroom renovation includes an open end shower which, unfortunately, is too small, so be prepared for your shower mat to be soaked at the end of your shower. If you stay in an unrenovated room, lift some weights before your stay as you will need plenty of strength to slide the patio doors. We found the entire resort to be in a state of decay and disrepair, with numerous areas out of service. The plank walkways throughout the complex require that you keep a keen eye where you are walking as there are many areas where the planks are either rotten or are lifting. I've seen other reviews about all that they are doing to improve the resort, but we saw no ongoing renovation activities; just routine maintenance.
MAID SERVICE. The service for our junior suite was barely adequate. On one occasion the maid showed up when we we're getting ready to head to the dive shop. We asked her to return after we left, but she never came back. On two other occasions they didn't change out our towels so we had to call to have them brought in. The light in our closet burned out and I asked the maid to have it changed but that never happened.
ALL INCLUSIVE. If you want to eat a lot of mediocre-to-average food, and drink a lot of alcohol, it's a good deal. Meals are all buffet style. No variety to breakfasts. Lunch and dinner offer more variety, but none of the meals were memorable. The best part of the all inclusive is that they have plenty of free bottled water.
SERVICE STAFF. Other than the problems already identified with the maids we found all of the resort staff to be friendly, outgoing, and helpful. The restaurant staff is exceptional.
LATE CHECKOUT. Normal checkout time is 11:00 AM. Since our flight was not until 3:30 PM we asked for late checkout until 1:00. It wasn't a problem, but they charge $10 per hour, which was a new one on us.
Overall Comment. With the all inclusive, this resort would appeal for a budget conscious family, but you must take care to keep your children safe in the common areas. We did not find the resort particularly appealing for serious divers. This resort is either on the front end of a miraculous recovery, as demonstrated by the renovated premium rooms, or it is in the midst of a slow death. As divers we wouldn't stay there again unless they made drastic changes to the dive setup, and then only if all of the other renovations come to fruition as well. The resort does have a great beach area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoyment without limits, an all-inclusive vacation at Plaza Beach Resort Bonaire. This resort offers 126 spacious air conditioned oversized Suites, both Junior Suites and Grand Suites located either next to the Caribbean Sea or next to the marina laguna. Everything is included: from a delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet in our restaurant with sea view to water sport activities, a diving school and a cozy beach bar. With the best beach on Bonaire and a beautiful swimming pool, there is nothing that will stop you from having a vacation to always remember. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Plaza Resort Bonaire reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Resort Bonaire Hotel Kralendijk
- Plaza Hotel Bonaire
- Plaza Hotel Kralendijk
- Plaza Resort Bonaire Kralendijk