“Great for scuba diving, perfect location, super infrastructure”
Review of Buddy Dive

Buddy Dive
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed 5 November 2012

They have a beautiful reef at the hotel, but also a great drive-in for loading new tanks so you can go around the island, diving in the reefs all around the island. The hotel also rents pick-ups so you have the whole package. We were here for a week with a group of divers and really got the max out of our vacation. The buffet style breakfast was as it should be, the rooms were clean, recently renovated and all airconditioned. Poolbar and restaurant with tasty cockails and food, and very nice staff. I really cant say anything bad about it!
I recommend this one big time.

2  Thank Antwerpgirl_10

Reviewed 4 November 2012

As an avid traveler and former "Green Beret", I am very opinionated when it comes to value for the dollar spent. Buddy Dive Resort is just that, great value for the dollar. To start with, I was picked up at the Airport. You're right, most places do the same; however, in all my travels I have never been given a vehicle as part of my dive trip upon arrival at the resort. The facility was fantastic and the diving was likewise.

I noticed there were days when the resort had crews updating the rooms. That was in my mind a positive because the management is doing same to improve the quality of the facility for all current and future visitors. I would give them a "5" for effort in making improvements.

Mosquitos, yes there was that issue, here are your choices; use a commercial spray company to kill the insects or as with any travel, take along something like "Cactus Juice" all natural insect/20 SPF lotion or spray. I did; I had no problems with Mosquitos. It is the same for Rotan or any other tropical destination. I enjoyed the Parrots, lizards and Iguanas crawling around for my entertainment much more than not seeing same due to my failure to plan properly. Chemical sprays kill lizards, birds and other critters. I am not an environmental wacko either. I just realize that a little planning on my part saves a lot of problems. Nuff said 'bout that.

I will include photos if able to show the facility. RESTAURANT: Fantastic breakfast, with a name like Mr. Pig it had better be good, thats my nickname. Some call me the Travel Hog; but I like these names, it says that I can't get enough of either travel or food or diving. DIVE SHOP: Best setup I have found in my travels diving. Everything from Drive Thru tank facility, provided truck which is a 4 door with tank racks in the back to the pier tank pickup and rinse facility.... I woke several mornings at 0400 hrs and my buddy and I met friends made at Buddy's for a 0430 night/morning dive. The term "freedom" was used by one of the dive masters at the facility. He was talking about the personal diver. You dove when, where and how you wanted to dive. Logs were available to write down your Nitrox info and when the urge hit you for a dive, walk out to the pier or grab your gear and load the truck with tanks and drive to your "Freedom" shore dive location marked by bright yellow rocks with names on them. ROOMS: my friend is the person who told me about the "BUDDY DIVE RESORT". You're right, he went also. Neither of us had one complaint regarding our room, maid service or the grounds itself. I watched one employee, the grounds keeper, Rex was his name, he never stopped working Unlike others i observed who seemed to make it a game to dodge management.

Confucius said one picture is worth a thousand words and I hope I will be able to download some pictures for your opinion of the facility. You be the judge and tell me this isn't just paradise.

I will return to Bonaire and it will be to " BUDDY DIVE RESORT" for many reasons; Quality of the facility, dive facility, vehicle included for shore diving and touring the island, restaurant and last but not least, the diving in Bonaire.

One more thing, having owned 3 Restaurants and being a person who understands time management, I would change things at the Reception Desk. I would have two lines, one for those who filled out "completely" the preregistration forms provided and one for those who failed to do so. An individual would form the line and send the folks who did fill out all forms to the right and those who need to fill them out to the left. This would ensure those who did fill out the forms are processed quickly for their effort prior to arrival. I will see if this is implemented on my next visit.

Room Tip: Our room was on the end next to the parking lot. Never heard any noise from same. The visitors who...
4  Thank MrPig
Reviewed 28 October 2012

First visit to Bonaire and very glad we stayed at Buddy Dive. No issues with reservation, transfers or check in. Room was comfortable and clean. After a tour and explanation of the resort and how all of the diving and gear worked, we were off to do what we love most! This is a great way to get in a ton of diving. We had only dove in Cozumel before (several trips over the years), so going out by ourselves was a little intimidating. Not to worry, the visibilty, calm waters and easy navigation made all of our shore diving awesome experiences!! The tank loading, finding the various shore dive sites were all very easy. We did get a couple of maps and dive sites prior to out travels. They came in very handy when deciding which dive sites to visit. We also did some island exploration taking in the windsurfing at Lac Bay, kite boarding at.Atlantis Beach, slave huts, travel through Rincon The food at Buddy Dive is good. We did dine at several restaurants (Richards, Appetite, Lilly's etc) in town and found them all to be good as well (other than a weird occurence at Richards, which seems to be "normal")
All in all a great time was had and we will be back!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HPSGene
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Fun - Fun - Dive - Eat - Sleep !!!! This is our second stay here and all the staff was very accommodating ! A few minor concerns were address without hesitation. The front desk staff was top notch, they were always there for us !!! Our Truck was in great condition, our rooms was kept very clean, between 4 divers we used app 12 tanks of air each day for 6 days and only had one that had a bad "O" ring. Our boat was new and the crew took us to places we all liked, and they show a concern for each person safety as well as us enjoying our boat dives. Each day they had fresh fruit and water for us !!! All the guys and gals at the dive shop and tank areas were alway willing to help us in any way they could !! They were all fun to be around !! We had a really good vacation and hated to leave !!!
The Cherry Family

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank RCherry55
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Bonaire is the bomb for diving and Buddy Dive is totally got it going on!

Getting there is easy from Atlanta. Airport to resort is 10 minutes with friendly transfers. I booked this trip 4 days before I arrived so there was a minor reservation mix up. Thea, the room booking supervisor immediately jumped into the issue and got me into the most spectacular room (room 715) ocean front with views to die for out every single window and balcony. Thea is the kind of person you see taking care of high rollers in Vegas; smart, attractive and knows how to lead her staff and take care of customers. She even did a follow up with me during my stay and after the trip back home in Texas.

Signing up for diving was easy at the dive shop and the brief was painless and thorough. John from the photo shop takes dive orientation and photographic support to the next level. The dive boats are very safe and comfortable but what cinched it for me was the dive instructors and dive masters. The dive briefs were some of the best I've seen in 15 years of diving all over the world. I'm a retired Air Force Colonel and I know quality and safety when I see it. Buddy Dive has some of the friendliest and professional staff you will ever see at a dive resort. Danny was the best of the best on the dive staff. She made the dives awesome and was a lot of fun to be around. She also helped me find some awesome critters to photo on every dive.

I usually never take the time to fill these kind of things out but Buddy Dive and their staff really impressed me.

Happy diving and travels...Bonaire and Buddy Dive should be on your top 10 list!

Harry Kimberly
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
San Antonio Texas USA

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank HarryKimberly
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We did not stay here, but did eat here several times as well as use their dive shop. Great people in the dive shop and the food was scrumptious! You could sit under a canopy or in the sand. Sunsets were a delight.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

My son and I were at Buddy Dive for a week...primarily to (!) DIVE. We were part of a group of 38 from NC first week of September. And we are new open water divers. So first, I'll say that for anyone just getting into the sport, this is one of the very best locales to gain real confidence in a true paradise setting. Dive staff, facilities, options, drive thru tank pickup, etc. are all super here. Should be...they cater to divers.

The hotel part...It's been around a while, but there is ongoing renovation (major in some units). We had an efficiency apartment...one bedroom with two twin beds, bathroom, kitchenette..all major appliances..., living room and patio. The rooms were clean, modern, sufficiently furnished, etc. We had good A/C but just in the bedroom...that cooled the entire unit so well we did have to turn it way up at night to keep from being cold! Water is good (we bought bottled just to take on outings). Our daily maid service was on time same time every day...no guessing about when the room would be made up. We had access to extra towels if needed (beach towels are provided separate from regular bath towels). Reception is by US business traveler standards slow, but by island, laid-back standards very prompt and always courteous. It may have taken an extra 5 minutes but none of our needs were dismissed; all were taken care of satisfactorily.

I said we were there to dive. For families, there are pools which seemed very nice and very clean. At the dive docks are walk-in ladders...non divers will find just the snorkeling in this area a lot of fun. But if you are wanting to dive, your only worry here is how wrinkled your skin is by the time you turn in at night because you'll want to be under all the time!

Food: Got a sense of this hotel on first night. Our flights in were delayed. I checked in just before 11 pm and went down to the waterside bar/restaurant. The manager had kept the restaurant staff on since he knew our group was delayed. We had full menu access at 11 pm (and of course, the restaurant mostly to ourselves). I expected a limited sandwich offering, but was pleasantly surprised with an excellent hot meal. It usually takes me one or two meals in a hotel before I can't wait to find someplace else to eat. I ate 5 of 7 dinners at Buddy Dive and all lunches. Food was very good, nicely served, and offered some specialties that were great. I had barracuda for the first time and other excellent fish dishes, but plain old rotisserie chicken was one of the best meals there! And breakfast (included with the room) is full course, cooked-to-order eggs, side meats, pancakes/waffles, plus full European style cold-cut, cheese, etc. buffet. And I like strong, robust coffee...my only complaint there was there were no LARGE cups! Coffee was great.

Downsides: yes...WiFi is pretty poor (I'm told that is pretty much island wide); got decent connection reliably only at...THE BAR...that did make a couple of daily visits a necessity! And, what you read in advance about mosquitoes is true. But don't waste $$ on pre-spraying clothing, hauling DEET, etc. You can get a decent DEET compound on the island and I recommend stopping early at a market and buying the local flying bug spray for premises. Works just great.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family