“diving isn't everything”
Review of Buddy Dive

Buddy Dive
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Diving operation well run..Had roaches in our 1st floor apartment Had to spray every day because I cannot stand them and thought my wife and I were going to die from the fumes..Front desk gave us spray and told us not to breath it in!! GREAT! You think they would have offered to change our room when I went back to the front desk 10 minutes after we checked in ..Instead we got a can of roach spray!! Been to Bonaire over 25 times..1st time at Buddies,1st time ever had roaches in my room. Do yourself a favor...Go to the Divi!

Room Tip: Avoid first floor,near the kitchen.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is my third trip to Buddy's. If you like to scuba dive - then this is diver's paradise. The reefs around Bonaire and Klein are simply magnificent and Buddy's enables you to explore the underwater world from the shore or their fleet of boats. The convenience of shore diving the myriad of dive site ensures that you will not be diving with hoards of other divers on the same site. And, the boat dives typically visit sites that cannot be visited from the shore. All of the boat dives are guided by very knowledgeable dive guides. You can read the other reviews and learn more about the diving at Buddy’s.

In my view there are four people that work tirelessly day in and day out at Buddy’s to ensure your dive vacation is a success.

Augusto and Marten run an amazing dive operation. Both of them are absolutely driven to ensuring that you have one great dive after another. They are always available to help with whatever your needs might be – and both of them are passionate about diving and – having a good time while diving. In my view, Augusto and Marten are the difference that sets Buddy’s apart from other dive operations in Bonaire.

Manuel runs the food and beverage operations at the Tiki Bar. His task is daunting and he handles it with aplomb. While one needs to exercise a little patience while in the islands, Manuel will make sure that your banana smoothie is delivered quickly. Hundreds of people visit the Tiki Bar each year, and after a few days Manuel and his team will know you by name and your preferences. Kudos to Manuel for making sure that his team always has the customer at the front of their day to day activities.

Lastly and certainly not least – is Thea Dujong. She works at the front desk and I have never met a more sincere, concerned, dedicated customer focused employee in my travels. The world can be coming apart at the seams and Thea will calmly, diligently and with a smile solve the problem. I cannot say enough nice things about how she goes out of her way to make sure that your stay at Buddy’s is hassle free.

While there are host of other employees at Buddy’s that work tirelessly each day to make sure your vacation is wonderful – none of that would be possible without the leadership of those mentioned above.

Currently Buddy's is undergoing repaving of the roads around the rooms, and as such there was a bit of a hassle in maneuvering around the construction work. The construction will be completed soon and the roads will be paved with bricks which will make getting about the resort that much easier. Kudo’s to Paul and Michelle for being visionaries and finding ways to improve their resort.

Buddy's is simply one of the best dive resorts I have found.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 0MikesTravels0
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was my second visit to Buddy Dive in 5 years...and nothing has changed. Still a solid 3 star resort, 5 star diving facility. If you are coming to dive, you will have a great time. I highly recommend a mix of boat and shore dives. We were there for 7 days (5 days of diving) and did 8 boat dives, 8 beach dives, and 5 dives on Buddy Dive reef, which is one giant stride off the Buddy Dive resort pier.
Our package included the boat dives, truck and buffet breakfast. All excellent (great breakfast each day!). We stayed in room 602, which is on the first floor with all modern appliances. We bought all our groceries at Van Den Super Market and ate lunch and dinner in our room, $200 for the week, including booze. That's the cheap way to go, but if you want to eat out, plenty of options and easy to get to with your Buddy Dive provided truck.
Make sure you hit dive sites 3 and 6 in the park, up on the NW side of the island, worth the half day it will consume. And for sure dive the Hilma Hooker wreck. Starts at 60 ft and descends to 95+ feet, but you don't need to go that deep to enjoy the experience. The 6 - 8 foot tarpin will swim with you on night dives off Buddy Dive resort, kinda of fun and creepy, all at the same time.
Good luck and enjoy your dive vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first time in Bonaire and Buddy Dive. Couldn't have asked for a better place. I loved the fact that everything was well organized from the Buddy Dive side. My room, 502, had sliding doors straight to the pool and right up from the dive shop, loved the location. The room was great. The food was also good and the truck we rented for shore diving was excellent. The dive thru would have been great, but they were paving, so I am sure it will be great soon. The crew from the front desk to the dive shop to the dive masters were top notch. I would definitely return :-)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spent 2 weeks from 5/19 through 5/31 at Buddy Dive. It was our 4th visit over the last 3 years. We consider it our adult sports camp vacation. Accommodations keep getting better. Rooms are simple and I think designed for divers with their dive gear. The special meal deal (75% discount) makes the decision to visit the Pool bar restaurant for lunch and dinner easy. You will pay considerably more else where for finer dining.

The dive operation is first rate and customer focused. The dive masters guided us over the dive sites with their eagle eyes spotting the u/w creatures new to us. I forgot to pick up a dive mask left in the equipment area which I did not discover until returning to USA. I sent an email. It was located and is being mailed to me as I write this review. They know how to make customers happy.

The resort roads are under construction so there may be some inconvenience while that work is completed but I believe BDR will find a way to keep everyone reasonably happy about moving equipment for all those free shore dives.

The only downside in our experience is that you have to be willing to accept that the wait staff is just not attentive to the needs/wants of customers.

Room Tip: Upstairs units get you access to the steady island breeze.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Buddy Dive Resort, Bonaire ( room 306 V) from May 3 through May 10, 2014. It has been our best diving trip ever! This Resort offers everything a diver could dream about: spacious accommodations, well-equipped rooms, a nicely landscaped compound, and an excellent dive operation : very good dive packages, comfortable boats, complete rental and retail center. Our dive packages provided boat and shore diving and were excellent.
The staff were exceptional - great, very professional dive masters, all services very good. All staff members were very friendly and helpful and always willing to do anything to make your stay more enjoyable.
Every night we ate dinner at the pool bar restaurant . It was fabulous- exceptional ambiance, personable staff, and charming landscaping around.
European-style Breakfast buffet was really great. Nothing to complain about, everything to praise !
We had a great time and we already look forward to returning to Buddy Dive! I highly recommend this Resort to everyone :)

Room Tip: All ocean-view rooms are great.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had some lovely diving on Bonaire and were happy to see reefs still in
good shape. It has been a number of years since we visited Bonaire and this was
our first time to stay at Buddy Dive. I would say that business is booming for
them because they were unable to offer all the boat dives in our package (we
were able to schedule 9 of the 12 dives that we paid for). The manager seemed
unconcerned when we pointed this out to him and said that they can't really
handle or predict the number of divers that may show up. I won't return to this
resort and I'd advise people to buy boat dives after they arrive and confirm
that they can indeed get on a boat.

The divemasters were all quite good and we were pleased with the service they
offered. The room was OK except for one pesky air conditioner and slowly
draining showers. These accommodations were standard for this type of trip and
small inconveniences are expected so it was no big deal for us.

We will plan to return to Bonaire as long as Delta continues to fly. We used to
go a couple times a year before we got tired of the American schedules and had
no other options. We switched to Curacao and have been going there for the last
8 or so years. Had forgotten how nice the reef is in Bonaire so we look forward
to returning, but not to Buddy Dive.

I did get an explanation from the agent I booked with as follows:
I received an email back from Augusto Montbrun (Dive Operations Manager at Buddy
Dive). He was very sorry to hear that you had a problem with scheduling all of
your 12 boat dives and offered to honor the missing boat dives on a future trip.
He said "just let me know and I will make it happen".
Augusto was not on the island the week that you were diving (he was attending a
trade show). He said that the 12 boat dive packages were a challenge at times
because guest struggle to get that many dives in during a one week period
because they like to do boat dives in the morning and then shore dive in the
afternoon. The problem lies in the fact that the morning boats fill up and the
afternoon boats do not. He checked the boat lists and saw that this was the case
the week of May 10-17. He also said that his assistants are instructed to put
you on the next available boat if your request is not honored. I know that none
of this helps your situation but I wanted you to hear the feedback from Buddy
Dive and Augusto.
I will add that we rarely have complaints about Buddy Dive and/or the dive
operation and I know that they will take your comments very seriously, as do we.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends