All reviews jibe city lac bay beach bar linen and towels great place to learn great equipment wind surfers relaxing beach shallow water each cottage cruise port wild donkeys rent a scooter rainy season fish living room lounge chairs
Reviewed 1 July 2018

We had never been to Bonaire until this May. I'm a windsurfer and wanted a windsurfing getaway. This place was the perfect place for it too! I was hoping it would be a win-win for my wife and myself but it wasn't. First of all this location has the best windsurfing that I have ever experienced. Better in my opinion than Aruba and the Outerbanks. The water is crystal clear and waist deep just about in the entire bay. The winds are nearly constant and the equipment available is amazing. Food is available right on the beach and the people are very friendly. The resort on the other hand is a little on the 'rustic' side. Very bare bones and functional but still not a luxury vacation spot. It's clean but a bit out dated and in need for renovation and some landscaping. There is no pool on the property and no real beach for non windsurfers to swim. There happens to be a lot of sea grass in the area and where there is sea grass, swimming and walking is forbidden. It's not too far a drive from downtown and there lots of places down there to eat/drink. If we were to return to Bonaire (which we will in time) we won't return to Sorobon to stay. We'll book a more non windsurfing person place that has a pool and a beach that you can swim in without worring about disturbing the seagrass. I'll leave the wife there and slip away for a few hours to do some incredible windsurfing though.

4  Thank U2922CHtomt
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We liked this hotel a lot. The staff is friendly and the location is fantastic! The food in the restaurant is also really good, they have a special menu for children and cook vegetarian dishes as delishous as meat or fish. And if you want to cook in your room this is also possible as you have a fully equipped little kitchen!
If you love windsurfing this is the perfect place for you! There are 3 companies nearby offering windsurf rental and it’s a great place to learn as the water is shallow and protected from a reef so there are no big waves. But if you like to swim this is maybe not a place for you?! We just walked out a bit and sat down in the water! For kids it’s perfect! It’s possible to snorkel here although there are much better places on the island. We drove to Rum Runners one night and there you see really big fish right from the restaurant! At Karel’s you also see a lot of fish whilst eating and the sunsets are wonderful on this side of the island. It is also less windy, so if you don’t like to have strong wind 24 h a day you might find the other side of the island better. It is still windy there but not as much.
My husband was unfortunate and stepped on a coral when getting off his surfboard, he went to the hospital in the city and they stitched the wound with 3 stitches. The foot got very swollen and after 3 days they gave him anti-biotics and even with them it took a long time to get the foot back to its normal size. What we later found out was there were still a lot of pieces of coral in his foot. That they didn’t x-ray the foot before they stitched it up is increadible. They must have so many accidents like this here every year and one might think they would have the expertice, but apparently not. After two weeks my husband had to fly back to Switzerland to have a CET and surgery. So in retrospect, it would have been saved us a lot of time and pain to fly back directly to have it fixed back home with competent doctors...
They hotel offer massages with a girl called Johana. She is one of the best massage therapists I ever had (and I had many due to my problematic back!) She is super sweet and will directly feel where your tensions are and release them!
The hotel also offer Yoga with another girl who is also fantastic! Her name is Jane and with her I learned Vinyasa yoga. It is such a perfect location, you look right at the ocean, and she was great in giving instructions for the movements and to find that quiet place within.
There are some lizards living at the hotel too. They are friendly (although they look a bit scary!) but they turned out to be quite nice! They ate our coriander plant and also liked small pieces of apple that we gave them!
If I have to say something less positive about the hotel it would be that our shower was in a bad shape and also had to be fixed during our stay. (And the way it was ”fixed” was interesting... island style!) And the room gets very sandy as it is located on the beach. The wifi is not super, it turns on and off all the time, and we stayed quite close to the restaurant/reception (in room #11). But all in all we were super happy with our stay here and I would love to come back here!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Visited as part of cruise independently . We got a taxi from port only 5 dollars. Sun beds 5 dollars, 3 for beers. Its beautiful. You can walk out a long way before it gets deep. A lot of wind surfers not great if you want to actually swim but the water is so warm and clear. Beach itself only small but lovely

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank FrequentFlier802863
Reviewed 14 May 2018

As others have noted, this resort is on gorgeous Lac Bay but the rooms, beach, etc. are sorely in need of updating. Our "chalet" (half of duplex) had stained Formica counter tops, oscillating fans like my grandmother used, and extremely minimal housekeeping (got better after we started leaving money on the bed each morning). For advertising itself as a yoga center, the only classes were once a day and then were an added charge; also A/C (necessary to dry anything in the room including bath towels) was additional cost except from 6p till 9a. Due to protected seagrass off the beaches, water access is limited and since there is no pool, swimming is basically non-existent. If you don't windsurf, there is virtually nothing to do except lie in the sun or hang around the room. Workers did begin to replace the palm frond thatched cabanas (desperately needed) while we were there, but quit after one day and only rebuilt half of them. The beach bar has no "happy hour" and closes at 6p as well. To sum up, we will not be going back...

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jvirgogirl
Reviewed 26 April 2018

What we loved:
- the new windsurfing center, great equipment, Benjamin & Bastiaan we're terrific, consistent winds, great location
- Yoga with Jane over looking the water. Excellent instructor. I hope she is there again next year. JaneBakxYoga.com
- Beautiful location, quiet, convenience to windsurfing
- Helpful, friendly staff
- extensive breakfast buffet, good restaurant for dinner
- simple kitchette in cottage (toaster, cook top, french press coffee maker)
- clean, shabby chic decor
- no bugs/ mosquitoes as feared

What needs work:
-Pricey for rustic lodging with few amenities. They have ordered much needed new towels and sheets. Bring your own washcloth, lotion and conditioner.
- Limited wifi. Sitting near the restaurant helped, but I would like access in my cottage or at the beach. A few more routers around the resort could remedy this.
- Needs some TLC, someone to empty the trash, pick up empty glasses, and tidy the cushions and lounges each day. Lot's of things around the resort are beat up and need repairs or paint.

In conclusion, I would return for windsurfing because of the location, but I think it is over priced for the amenities and condition of the resort.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tetopia
Annette v, Guest Relations Manager at Sorobon Beach, Wellness & Windsurf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Dear Tetopia,
Thank you for you review!
We are delighted you had a pleasant experience in Sorobon Beach Resort and found multiple aspects to enjoy! Dunkerbeck Pro Center - our windsurfing center, yoga with Jane Bakx, as well as our restaurant are all things we are most proud of and we are happy you fund them agreeable as well.
The aspects you've expressed concern with raise alarm and will be directly forwarded to the management of the resort. This way it can be dealt with efficiently. Thank you very much for your input!
Hope to see you back here soon!
Anele | Sorobon Beach Resort