“Tropicana - Stay Away - Burglars around”

Tropicana Apartments
Campinas, SP
“Tropicana - Stay Away - Burglars around”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Hi Friends,

This is our review about Tropicana service. My friends and I, wanted to come back to Bonaire, since that my first time there I couldn´t dive. We thought that the first place we had been was a bit unsafe, so we searched on Tripadvisor and found Tropicana, with good reviews and price.
We sent an email and setup up everything with Irene, we made the reservation and didn´t needed to pay anything in advance. One week before going to Bonaire we sent an email to inform the time our plane would arrive at Bonaire.

Our first impression upon arriving in the neighborhood was a quiet and friendly place. Irene was there waiting for us, she showed us the apartment and told that we could count on for anything we needed.

After unpacking, we found a little friend inside our apartment. A little mouse was the previous guest. This was our first adventure, trying to get the mouse and kill or get rid of it. Well, everything ok. The apartment is in front of a vacant lot, so we didn´t care much about that. In case, we are divers with a lot of courage, lol.

We had a great week, there were guests in the other apartments. On Wednesday we met Irene around and she invited to a barbecue on Thursday at 6pm. On Thursday we waked up early and went diving, we missed others guests, but no problem until then.

At 6:30 pm we passed by the apartment to get money to pay for the Barbecue, we met some strange guys on the street, and we didn´t pay attention and cared about that. We arrive at the Barbecue that was on the street behind the apartment buiding. We were having fun through when Irene arrived scared, and asking if we left the lights on, we didn´t paid attention to that. But she came back again after checking the apartment and told us that we had been robbed.

The burglars took all of our electronic stuff. The following is the list of our stuff they took:

- Acer Netbook
- Oakley Juliet sunglass
- Targus notebook Bag
- Citzen Divers Watch
- 16gb corsair pendrive

Thank God that they didn´t found our money, reserved to pay the apartment rental. All our personal stuff, passports, credit cards and brazilian money was left behind.

We arrived at the apartment and Irene´s husband had called the police. I talked to them, and explained that we had seen two guys in front of the apartment. They asked us to try to identify the guys, but we were unable to do it, because it was dark and we didn´t pay any close attention at all. I went to Irene´s house, they offer me the computer, to cancel my credit cards that I thought that had been taken away. I´ve talked to her husband, and he said that is a problem that happens all around the world, and that was the third time that happened to them.

The cops asked us to make a list of missing things that they would pass by after to get it. When I gave the list to Musheline (the responsible for the report), I asked her how safe is the neighborhood and she told me that Tropicana gets robbed 5 or 6 times a year.

We attached images to show the locks of our apartments. When we came back after that shock, we noticed that the other apartments had a metal to protect the locks from being broken, but our didn´t.

I got so scared , that I told the guys that we should pay the rental promptly. We chose to stay in the same apartment, since we lost all of our electronic stuff, there were nothing left to be stolen. I gave Irene the money, and she didn´t offer any discount or anything to try to repair our damage. Thanks God that our scuba gear was with us.

Another thing I notice about the security. When I was at Irene´s house, I notice that they have extra locks and alarm sensors on all windows. When her husband and I left the house to try to search for all things on the vacant lot, he promptly turned the alarm on. Thus tells me that the neighborhood is insecure.

We lost all the our pictures, we had taken in curacao before, it was 10 day diving pictures, that would never been replaced. We advise you, don´t spend your time staying on Tropicana, look for more secure places. Check the neighborhoods with the local police before choosing a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank raphaelgatti
BonaireFun, Owner at Tropicana Apartments, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Our names are Roland and Irene. We are the owners of Tropicana Apartments and are in business since 5 years with many satisfied guests which return every year again.

First of all we are very sorry for what happened to Raphael last August and did all we could to help him in his unfortunate situation. We learned of the situation and have put additional measures for protection.

We are disappointed to see Raphael publishing incomplete and partly untrue information about Tropicana Apartments. As we have done everything in our reach to help Raphael, we do not understand the reason behind this or why Raphael holds us as honest and hard working people personally responsible for this crime. Therefore we feel urged to make some statements and rectify some incomplete information and exaggerations.

Bonaire is not an unsafe island, but petty crime is a serious problem over here. As everywhere on the world, crime is a community problem, which unfortunately can’t be solved by individuals or be solved easily at all. Police, schools and other stakeholders here on Bonaire work hard to improve the situation. Above writer Raphael tries to blame Tropicana Apartments and me and my wife Irene for what happened to him. The only result is that a private business is damaged with no contribution to the solution of the problem. To put things right: it was not me or my wife Irene who broke into his apartment so no reason to accuse us personally. Not only Raphael, but in a way we are victims of this crime as well.

Irene and I take safety as a serious issue and as the owners of Tropicana we have done all possible to protect our guests, their belongings and our apartments against crime. Tropicana Apartments is a gated resort with cactus fences, walls, double locked doors with quality locks and security barred windows. Unlike what above writer claims, we experienced 2 break-ins in Tropicana over the last 5 years (not 6 per year as writer claims). IMO this does not qualify for an unsafe place and area.

To give the story another perspective: common sense. The fact that we took all provisions to prevent break-ins, does not release our guests from taking their own responsibilities and take normal precautions. Raphael left the apartment not locked properly, a small window adjacent to the door was left open which enabled the burglar to open the second lock from the inside. Also computers and other valuables where left clearly visible from outside. Please understand me right: this does not mean he is not the victim in this story, but he should have used offered protection which could have prevented the burglary.

Feel free to make up your own mind. Again, we are very sorry for what happened to Raphael last August. However, the many hundred satisfied guests we have welcomed over the last years will admit that Tropicana is not an unsafe place on Bonaire. Please see their reviews as well here on Tripadvisor.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 28 December 2011

After staying at the Hut 3 times I felt I should write a review.This is a very good place to stay for the price. Safe , clean and efficient. It is a couple blocks away from the ocean and the waterfront walkway to downtown. Roland and Irene are around everyday to take care of any questions or issues. They have a very good package with truck and diving. Roland arranged for pick up at the airport at 5:30 am and later had the rental truck delivered to us , very nice not to have to worry about getting around on our first day . The diving was with Wannadive , very handy since they have tanks available at several different locations around the island and also have many guided dives to join in on . Rooms are clean , and basic. Air conditioning , hot water , TV, internet in the common area .They have a very good breakfast in the morning and a good BBQ once a week. This is not a luxury hotel ,no hot tub or pool , but if you do not plan on spending much time in your room the price is very good.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Roland and Irene was very kind!everything excellent, good service and good price. Recommended 100%. Near from diving center. On thursday good BBQ.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I stayed at Bonaire Fun Apartments ( the sister property also owned by Roland and Irene) last year & loved it! This year I went with my sister & Roland and Irene recommended I stay in the Tropicana as it was larger and we could easily have two beds in the bedroom. They apartment had everything one could want.We love having the kitchen & the lovely outside seating area where we enjoyed more than a few bottles of wine :) The apartment was clean, spacious & much nicer than any hotel room! Roland and Irene are excellent hosts & Irene was kind enough to join us on our snorkle trip on the Woodwind. We had a wonderful time & they made us feel very welcome and very at home. I would never stay anywhere else when i go to Bonaire! If you are looking for clean, friendly & the best hosts ever, this is the place for you! We even inherited a local cat who came to hang out with us , man was he ever cute! So if you go and stay in the first apartment, look for the orange/ siamese mix cat.. We named him Chimi and we miss him!!!
We can't wait to go back and stay with Irene and Roland again. Wonderful!

Room Tip: they are all good! we like the largest one...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank VancouverTakemeaway
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Irene and Roland are excellent hosts - they own the Tropicana (which I stayed at), Bonaire Fun and the Dive Hut - all really close to each other. Excellent economical place for divers - they will sort out a package that includes unlimited diving and a truck. (Currently just take cash and travellers checks - so double check before you go to see if they take credit cards yet). Not luxury, but very clean and comfortable. An excellent choice for divers who want the freedom of shore diving all day and don't need the resort amenities or boat dives of things like Buddys, Capt Don's or Divi on the water (which you pay a premium for) - of course you always have the choice to pay for a boat dive at WannaDive as well over to Klein should you wish. Irene and Roland now also host the WannaDive BBQ on Thursday nights at the Dive Hut....free rum punch from 5:30-6:30 and all you can eat BBQ from 7pm - all for $15 - most excellent ! A freiendly bunch of people and always seem to be freindly guests who stay there as well !

I certainly recommend this place and I will be definately be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank LiquidPixel
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Tropicana (and the nearby sister property Bonaire Fun) are clean, well-maintained, and reasonably priced bases of operation for a fantastic dive trip.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed at the apartments and of course dived dived dived...... great diving and great location. Quiet enough that you are not kept awake but within walking distance of resturants etc... in town. The hosts are lovely and welcoming and have mix just right, there if you need them and leave you to it if you don't! :) We enjoyed thier company and welcomed our chats and even a shared beer or two. Thanks for looking after us Roland and Irene!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple