“Average or below average experience”
Review of Eden Beach Resort

Eden Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I had relatively average experience in this hotel.

Good sides: it has it's own beach, and the club is nice. The room (I was staying in an expensive room, either a suite or an executive) was also pretty good.

Bad sides: I came to Bonaire for business reasons, and booked this hotel since according to Google maps, it was very close (1 km) to our conference hotel in central Kralendijk. It is not - it is outside of the city in an isolated area, 5km away!

When I arrived by taxi from the airport, I asked the lady at the desk for toothpaste, since mine was confiscated in the airport. They had none, and told me to take taxi to the central Kralendijk since there was no shop closer. (It was also around 10pm.)

The front desk is open air, and all the rooms have separate entrances, which mostly is fine. However, I happened to have a quite serious accident while in Bonaire, and I was confined to a wheelchair for my time there. It was *not* good, since my room was on the second floor, with a steep staircase. The staff was not able to move me to another room, and mostly they just did not care at all. Fortunately, the conference hotel (Divi Flamingo Beach Resort) took very good care of me, and moved me there after 2 days. The service in Divi Flamingo was just so much better.

However, most of the people probably won't have the same problems as I did, and for them Eden Beach might be fine.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Helger L

Reviewed 29 March 2012

All I can say is that I truly loved my stay at Eden Beach Resort! Thank you to the Eden Beach team for making me feel so welcome, your service was impeccable. The apartment I stayed in was great, and the diving was spectacular! Hoping to come again soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dan P
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The problems started after I received a confirmed reservation from Cheapcaribbean.com. Days later I was told by the hotel that I did not have a reservation and that the hotel was full and they would book me in another hotel. I told them this was unacceptable. I got Cheapcaribbean involved (who I booked through) and they straightened it out.
My friend was also staying in the hotel at the same time. That room had a bare electrical wire (yes bare you could see the copper) on the wire of the TV. You had to unplug the coffee pot to use the TV. The on/off switch of the coffee pot did not work so you had to unplug it after use. The curtains in the room did not fit the sliding doors.
My room was dark. They were obviously trying to save money by using weaker bulbs. I didnt have a lamp next to the bed. In order to read in bed I had to get up to turn off the light. I asked a junior staff member at the front desk for a lamp for the end table next to the bed. None was ever provided. Mosquitoes where often in my bathroom (I kept the window in the bath closed so I dont know where they where coming from.)There was work being done on another wing of the hotel that was close to some rooms. The workers would start work early and make noise. I am an early riser so it did not bother me as much.
In general, the junior staff was incompetant,lazy and slow. I am not talking about being on "island time" slow. I know about that. I am talking about several incidents mostly involving the restaurant and front desk personnel. The American breakfast was supposed to come with fruit,cereal and juice among other items. Sometimes you got juice, sometimes you got cereal. If you asked for both five minutes later you received one of them and had to ask again for the other item. This happened at least twice.The scrambled eggs were often dry and looked like the scrappings from the grlll. This also happened at least twice. The breakfast was usually barely warm if not cold. The coffee was good and a good price at two dollars a cup. The guy ( including his helper) making coffee were very good. The junior staffers in the restaurant were generally ambivalent if not down right apathetic to the guests or their duties. Dinner food quality was a little better but the service was the same. Ultimately, we began eating breakfast at Elle's a few blocks away (much better) as well as dinner at other nearby hotels.The bar scene after dinner was much better with more competant staff. The night before I was to return home I asked for a cab for the next morning at 7:30. (I allowed an extra half hour to allow for the "incompetance factor". The front desk was to open at 7:00. The front desk staff member arrived at the front desk at 7:30. My cab didnt show up and another was cald.
Now for the good stuff:
The hotel has a great beach to get sun and watchwatch sunsets. For five dollars a day outside guests can stay at the beach. (Thats the way to go)The beach has nice chairs.There is a small dock close by to enter the water and snorkle. The dive shop is FANTASTIC. All of the staff are professional, helpful and cool. I would definetely use them again. The management staff was also very good and helpful when you could find them.Housekeeping was fair to good. They didnt always give you new towels.
So! In summary I would not stay at the hotel again unless it was a better room (there are some nice rooms but are few) with a fantastic deal. I would use the beach and dive shop.
I would say dont book here there are much better choices on the island.

Room Tip: Use the dive shop and beach. Stay somewhere else close by.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank maxdoggg
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was our third time at Eden Beach. The first two trips were memorable-the third was memorable but not in a good way! The resort failed to tell us that 3 days of our week would be spent with our thousands of friends from the cruise ships whom Eden Beach had invited to spend the day paying $5 each to use the beach, chairs, pool, bar and pier for snorkeling leaving the paying resort customers with no chairs, no pool space, no place to sit at the restaurant, garbage all over the place, rude behavior and the management treated the $5 customers like royalty - us not so much! It turned our peaceful vacation into a stressful situation of dealing with cruise ship customers who invaded our space. I would think twice before going back there again just for that reason.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the construction which is really noisy. At least 7 rooms are under cons...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Diane11766
Reviewed 16 January 2012

If, like us, you are looking for a vacation hotel that is reasonably priced, and not too fancy, but not too downscale either, then the Eden Beach is, like Goldilocks' porridge, just right. It is located just north of Kralendijk, the main town of Bonaire, on one of the few white sand beaches on the island. The rooms are simple, but spotlessly clean, and each has a small kitchen. The very pleasant Spice beach bar serves food and drink, and the service is about as pleasant as one could ask. By late summer, 2012, the new Spice restaurant should be open -- something to look forward to, as the chef for the beach bar already does a great job with a very small kitchen. There is also a dive shop (Wannadive) on the premises for those interested in diving and other water sports. The staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. The hotel is about three-quarters finished with renovating all of its rooms.

Room Tip: If you visit in the first half of 2012, you should ask to be put in one of the new ones. If you are...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RussellBen
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We had visited the beach at thus resort many times, but this was the first time staying at Eden Beach. The location right on one of the best beaches, is the best feature of this place. Bonaire is not known for its beaches but this is one of the nicest. It used to be a natural beach but now they added a structure to protect it from the sea and added more sand. While you are basically sitting in a big sandbox, it feels natural. There is great snorkeling right of the dock and the beach.The apartment we were staying in was very roomy and fit us great as we are a family of five. They are undergoing renovations currently but it did not bother us. They are upgrading the rooms which was needed. The restaurant and the beach are since a few months owned by Spice Beach Club. As a guest of the resort you can use the sun beds for free. Make sure to know the cruise schedule, as the beach is a very popular destination for cruise passengers and can get very crowded. What I did not like that while the beach is supposed to be part of the resort, the new beach club owners don't allow you to bring your own drinks and food. I got a comment about the can of coke I had brought from my room. The restaurant at the beach club is operating but from a temporary kitchen while the proper kitchen is under construction. I was not impressed by the food and would not have dinner there again. It was very expensive but not up to standard. Overall, great location and good size rooms that should all be finished upgrading soon. People at the reception are friendly and cleaning staff great. While the water is great for snorkeling and the beach is good on quite days, I am personally not so enthusiastic about the new beach Club. It is a bit too trendy for me, attracting a crowd that that does not seem to mix well with the Eden Beach guest. I prefer the old, more laid-back style when it was still Bongo's.

We did not use Wannadive, the onsite dive operator, but I know they are great.

Room Tip: Take one of the two-bedroom apartments if you travel with your kids. They have two floors and are pe...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Tinus
Reviewed 18 December 2011

we were on a cruise and bonaire was one of our ports of call.
we were planning to go to klein bonaire but decided at last minute to try eden beach. at first it was a nightmare trying to get a taxi as they all want to take you on an island tour. eventually jonny in a golf buggy agreed to take the 4 of us for just $10 each way . beach only 10 min drive from the port.
the facilities "belongs" to the hotel and if were staying at the hotel i wouldnt be too impressed by the influx of day trippers arriving.
the beach itself is quite sharp and rocky and you need water shoes. the sea becomes quite deep quite quickly. there is loads of fish and stuff to see.the fish are all sizes up to 18" in length and all colours. its the first time we had snorkelled and this was an ideal place , loads to see very close to the shore.
taxi was waiting for us at the agreed time again $10 for the 4 of us, look out for the golf buggy!!

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family