“Good hotel”

Chaguanas, Caroni, Trinidad and Tobago
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed there for our honeymoon in April 2013
The hotel has a nice setting, and offers that very relaxed feel. Rooms were good enough and we had a 2nd floor balcony with a view of Klein. Overall the service was sometimes good, sometimes bad depending on who was at the front desk.
Wi-Fi was non existent and we used spice club 99% of the time.
I would stay at the hotel again but i would shop around as well..

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Hotel was bad, restaurant was good, pool area was good, Wannadive was excellent.

Stayed with a friend and shared a room. We came to Wannadive and saw the atmosphere around the pool and restaurant area and decided to move to this hotel from Divi, which was terrible (See my Divi review).

The hotel in general: Nice atmosphere. Popular with Dutch and other Europeans. Had a bit of a vibe like a Costa del Sol Spain beach resort, except the beach is nicer. The beach is small but very nice and the lounge area around both the beach and pool are very good for a boutique hotel. The reception area is very far from the rooms, across the parking lot, but this doesn't really matter so much.

The rooms: basically studio apartments, not hotel rooms. You have a kitchen and a functional bathroom. The wifi in the room did not work, even after several complaints. Also, there was no hot water for the duration of our stay (except two times where the shower actually worked for five minutes). The refrigerator did not cool properly. It doesn't get much cooler than 15C / 60F. The freezer worked fine. We were charged $100 per night, which is a fair price. However, considering there is no hot water, we should have gotten a big discount at the end, but they gave us 10% off only.

The restaurant: Small menu but very good. Would highly recommend Spice restaurant even if you are not staying at the hotel. It is quite good, right on the water, with excellent service from youngish working holiday Dutch girls who are very friendly. The food is excellent as well.

The best part is the Wannadive, which works out of the hotel. They have basically no dive shop if you want to buy something, but if you have all of your stuff and just want to dive, this is a fantastic place and I would choose it over anywhere else. The tanks are accessible in the parking lot 24/7 and they just give you the combination to the keybox.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NycDxb
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Stayed in December 2012 - 2BR

Overall: The place had good points and bad. If you like modern architecture, lively beach bars and music playing all day at the beach, you may like it. I wish they gave more thought to the room design (see below “room”) because with a little more attention and thought this place could be much better. It had a good location and wasn’t bad for the price. I liked it okay but I’m not sure that I’d stay there again if I return to Bonaire (I’d probably try Sorobon Resort next time because it seemed quieter and had a much nicer beach and the atmosphere was more my speed).

Reservation/check-in/front desk: Although their website says early check-in is possible, when I inquired in advance of my stay their reply was “If you would like to have a guarantee early check-in , I advise you to reserve an night extra prior to your arrival.” Isn’t the idea of early check-in so you don’t have to pay for an extra night? Some of the statements on their website were different than the signage at the resort. For example, website said check-in at 3pm and sign at resort said check-in at 1pm, internet fees, etc. I reserved directly with the hotel via e-mail and fax (their English website isn’t very good and you can’t reserve that way). At one point, I tried to inquire about restaurants but front desk staff wasn’t very helpful and couldn't recommend a restaurant.

Room: We rented a 2BR apartment #402 for $222 per night. It was very spacious, clean and recently remodeled IKEA-style (I had requested a renovated apt after reading TA reviews). Comfy beds and linens. Dining room chairs were covered in white cotton twill (bad choice for sunscreen/bug spray-covered bodies). Small bars of soap (but not shampoo) were provided. The entire week, there was only lukewarm (not hot) water for my shower. Surprisingly, I got used to this and it wasn’t too bad. Management responded quickly when we reported the light bulb in the bathroom went out (would not have bothered to report except that this was the last working light bulb in the bathroom!). Oddly, no baking sheet provided for the tiny oven. No salt and pepper. We lucked out as dish soap and coffee filters were left by a previous occupant. We only cooked breakfast and had what we needed. All three A/C’s were “on” upon our arrival. There was no “off” button or any way to adjust the A/C in the living room and master BR. The second bedroom A/C had a remote control. After a couple of days, we realized we could flip the fuse to turn off the living room A/C. I guess that’s why the fuse box was unlocked. Wish they would have explained that to us at the beginning. The only TV was in the living room which was fine (there were two big, empty spaces with outlets on the BR walls, though). There was a small safe in the master BR but I couldn’t fit my laptop in it. I was unable to make an internet connection. I gave up after two tries because each time you have to go to the front desk and get a code and the code expires after a day. With persistence, I may have been able but it didn’t really matter to me anyway. There was a partial ocean view from the master BR. The first floor was rather dark. The landscaping was not much and it appears this phase of the renovation is incomplete. The patio had a resin table and two resin chairs. The bar was very close and you could hear music/people at night. We were worried but found it did quiet down on Fri night at a reasonable hour (we had an early flight on Sat). Some of the units had more private patios. There weren’t adequate places to hang beach towels, swimsuits, etc. No place to rinse snorkel gear (we used the shower). No hand towel or towel rack in the first floor powder room. Rain collects on the front patio as it isn’t tilted to go down the drain (housekeeping mopped the patios after rain because of this design flaw). No screens in windows. Manual drapes (had to stand on a chair to pull them back) were hard to control. No alarm clocks or any clock at all. No binder or brochures with resort or local information or a Spice menu.

Resort: Parts of the resort were under construction but this did not bother me other than it being somewhat of an eyesore when you drove up and having to walk over plywood sometimes. We did not use the pool but it looked nice, It most definitely was not opened daily at 7am as the sign by the pool stated (island time, I guess). I picked this resort because it’s one of the few with a sandy beach. I read somewhere that Eden “beach” is really a giant sandbox (i.e. not a real beach) and that is quite accurate. Some of the pictures of the beach I saw (including some on the resort’s very own website and Tripadvisor) may have been older and before storms because it looked like you could walk right into the water. Now, there is a cement wall between the real beach (a few feet of wet sand and coral rubble) and Eden “beach” (i.e. the sandbox). You have to step down to go in the water (or find the staircase and go down a couple of steps). Once you’re in the water, you’re on rock rather than sand but it’s still nice. You can see some fish if you snorkel. Also, the beach looks very big on the resort’s website but it doesn’t seem that big when you’re there and it’s mostly covered with outdoor furniture. You have to step down a couple of cement steps to get to the water. Their signs say it’s against the rules to bring your own food/drink to the “beach”. The beach bar and restaurant were very new, modern and nicely architected (sign at entry of resort proclaims “Piet Boon designed") although I never ate in the restaurant. There was a sign that stated Happy Hour was Fri, Sat and Sun but it failed to list what times it was. The guests were mainly Dutch and some South Americans. There were a few Americans but not many. They provide lounge chairs but signs stated you pay for beach bed ($15) or cabana ($25) which seem to go unused but take up lots of space and obscure the sea view somewhat. There were also big flags in front of the water that said “Caribe Watersports” but didn’t seem to serve any purpose. There were cool, modern firepits in front of the water that they lit at night. There was music playing at the beach at all times that I was there. In the evening, it got quite loud. I did not use Wannadive other than to purchase a marine park tag but they seemed cool and knowledgeable. Their website says the resort has a gym but I did not see any signs of it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank beergarden
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Let me start off by saying looks can be deceiving. This place looked great when we checked in and entered room. Unfortunately, we were there 5 days with no hot water (to be fair we each had 1 hot shower during our stay) - The maintenance guy said in Spanish to "Let the kitchen sink run for 5 minutes and then try again while its on" - to no avail. We reported this daily and it was never resolved. bugs biting us and keeping us upall night long (upon further review on google, appears to be bed bugs), the refrigerator did not get below 60F on max setting. At checkout, after asking for some sort of refund due to the hot water issues we were giving back 10%, so at least it was something. Not a very friendly staff to say the least. They will stay in business however due to their fantastic location for divers.

However, the dive shop called "Wannadive" that the hotel is attached to was the best experience I've had diving yet. Bart, Andy and Linda were awesome!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank strafen

Travellers are raving about these Kralendijk hotels

Haaksbergen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Complete with a bautifull sand beach, dive facilities. The rooms are modern clean and well equiped. The swimingpool is new,clean and next to the rooms. Close to the resort is a nice bar and high quality Restaurant. The staf is friendly.

• Stayed April 2013
sugarloaf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Flew to Bonaire on a whim and booked this hotel at the last minute. Hitchhiked from the airport
as they have no local buses and taxis are expensive. Besides, I like to hitchhike to meet the locals, never had a problem yet (I'm 72). The room was not ready as I was early so I checked out the grounds, beach, and pool, all were great! Desk lady was a sweetheart when I told her that I preferred an upper room instead of the lower room as I liked fresh air instead of an AC. She put me in Room 322 which was good. However, there were no amenities except soap and it seemed this was the standard in most three-star hotels on the islands which was not a problem as I always carry the bare necessities in my backpack (thin soap, shampoo, lotion, toothpaste). One could walk to the main town in twenty minutes (again, I hitchhiked but walked back for the exercise). Not much to see or do, one casino, small market, had a good lunch at
the a local restaurant where you can eat outside under their porch (didn't note name).
If you are going to snorkel at Klein Island I highly recommend Woodwind Tours - must ask the
desk to call for you as they don't advertise them (WW doesn't want to pay hotels to do so and
I agree with them). The tour was super!!! For fifty US, you go for five hours with three snorkel stops and guides. The group is kept small (ten or so) and the guide will point to various fish, coral, etc. and surface to tell you about it - a learning experience as well. They offer delcious, unlimited fruit drinks and a tasty lunch (the a.m. is the best time to snorkel). Just make sure you take enough sunscreen as the sun is very HOT and there is no shade on the boat unless you want to go underneath but noone did.

Room Tip: An upper room if possible for the breeze and view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank travelskip
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

This hotel is situated next to one of the best snorkeling spots on the island; that is enough reason to stay here, and we might make a return visit. We spent most of our days out enjoying the reefs and island attractions and very little time in the room; it seems petty to nitpick the hotel. However, since the hotel is a business that should be interested in pleasing its guests it could make some improvements quickly and inexpensively to make the stay more enjoyable.

As other guests have pointed out, there is major construction going on at the hotel and it is best to get a renovated room. We got an old room and management just seems to have given up on maintaining them. There was mold in the shower; not just on the grout, but on the only ledge available to put down shampoo and soap; a quick scrub with cleanser would have removed it. Some of the kitchen utensils were plastic and partially melted, the pots scratched, and the only cutting knife had dried cheese on it. The tiny closet area had open shelves with cables and holes in the drywall; as this was the view from my bed I got a good look at it every morning. Even a curtain in front of the shelves would have shown some effort to make this a cheerier looking room.

The Eden Beach website says they offer a "welcoming cocktail"; the person at the front desk said no. The website also says they have an "Activity Center, Access to Gym and Spa, Wide selection of books at the Library, and Bottled water at your arrival"; They have none of these things. There is free WiFi, but it didn't work for four days of our 7-day stay, and was intermittent on the other days. There's a nice little ice cream shop an easy walk away, and we connected to their WiFi most days.

The beach, restaurant and bar are run by Spice Beach Club, and are more upscale. The downside is that the area can get very crowded with people not staying at the hotel. On the days that cruise ships are in port it is hard to get a spot on the beach, and on the weekends they have a loud DJ on the beach; it is impossible to avoid the noise in the rooms or even while snorkeling at Bari Reef.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple