“You will struggle to find better in La Habana Vieja”
Review of Casa Obrapia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Casa Obrapia
Ranked #95 of 699 Havana B&B and Inns
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“You will struggle to find better in La Habana Vieja”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have stayed here and in the previous location directly across the street four times. This should say everything really.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I have booked via a website (bedincuba) and received the confirmation of my reservation (for 4 nights) the next day, clearly stating the house had availability for 4 nights for the period I have asked. I booked and received the confirmation 1 week before arriving to Havana.

When I arrived to Casa Obrapia, late in the night, I was informed that I could stay only 2 nights. The reason for this was, according to the owner, that "the site only asked for 2 nights initially so when I received another booking request for the other 2 nights I accepted it; after the site asked for the 4 nights but I had already agreed with the other travelers to host them".
It is a big coincidence that the booking for the other customers was for the nights following the first 2 nights of my staying, no? What a lucky person was the owner!!! He did not show me the emails that the site sent with the first booking for 2 nights and the second booking for 4 nights, so I guess these 2 emails did not actually existed and it was his choice to move me out at his convenience.
He had booked already 2 nights for me on another house but the inconvenience of changing home remained. I had to discuss for an hour with him to get at least a discount for the inconvenience.
Furthermore the house where he booked for me belonged to someone who advised me a restaurant that costs 4 times more than normal restaurants in Habana (the restaurant is Don Lorenzo - avoid it at all costs). Maybe this was not the Obrapia's owner fault but it is a bad coincidence!
I cannot advise to book in Casa Obrapia since I think the owner is not serious and reliable. Unfortunately in Cuba this is happening (I had the same issue in Santiago de Cuba - the contact was given by the owner of Casa Obrapia...another bad coincidence...).
P.S.: after staying 3 weeks in Cuba you will also see that the breakfast served here at a price of 4 CUCs is ridiculous compared to other places: the tiniest pieces of fruit are served here while in any other casa particular, breakfast is a feast of fruits!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank rcalado
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Dear trip advisor reader,
If you need to stay in Havana Vieja, do not think twice: Casa Obrapia is a wonderful address.
The location is perfect: really central and parallel to Calle Obispo.

The house is a superb renovated colonial house nicely decorated. Raydel, the owner is a fanstactic host, professional and very friendly. He gave us excellent tips and addresses to continue our trip (we did not plan anything before hand). Every place we stayed was as perfect as our stay in La Havana

Rooms have all the comfort required: air conditioning, fans, good beds, safe box, and really nice and functional bathrooms with hot water. they have windows facing the inner patio which is perfect to filter the noise of the outside living La havana.
The lodge area is very comfortable and patio very charming to take the lovely breakfast
More photos and information available in Facebook

We already know where we are going to stay next time we will be in Cuba :-)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
philadelphia
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Casa Obrapia (correctly named: La Casona de Obrapia - Bed and Breakfast) is a fabulous casa particular located in Habana Vieja just few steps away from the well known Calle Obispo. Rooms are wonderfully refurbished with lovely bathrooms and comfortable beds. The large living room offers guests an additional place to stretch out and read, visit, or check the internet (computer access available for a nominal fee). A tasty breakfast, complete with fresh fruit and eggs, is served daily. There is a beautiful roof terrace where lodgers can admire the view of the city. House staff is attentive, helpful, and caring. In addition, travelers are properly guided to experience other parts Cuba since Owner Raydel is able to arrange accommodations outside Habana.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

A really nice Casa with beautiful colonial rooms. The location was excellant for walking around Old Havana , within easy reach of Central areas yet lovely and peaceful inside. We really enjoyed the tasty breakfasts and meeting other travellers duing our meals. The staff were very pleasant. We did find our bedroom a little compact but this wasn't a real issue for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This was an excellent introduction for us to our Cuban tour. Gorgeous large airy colonial cassa with very friendly helpful staff. nice sized high ceiling rooms with ensuite, excellent tasty breakfast, large relaxing communal lounge.

This was such a good place to start our trip. we stayed 3 nights. the location was excellent. all the staff were great. I couldn't recommend enough. you would have no worries staying here

Room Tip: One of the rooms is not ensuite, but has its own bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Haven´t seen all the casa particulars in Havana, but this must be a strong candidat for the top ten at least. Owner Raydel works hard on improvements - a huge terrace seems to be the next project. The rooms are very tastefully renovated, staff is friendly and helpful. There is a big living room for chilling out and meeting other guestss (you don´t find that in other casas), and last but not least - the plumbing is like top western standard!!!

Room Tip: Very popåular casa, make reservation good time in advance
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo