“A good place to stay and not surrounded by lots of other tourists”
Review of Ramiros House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Ramiros House
Ranked #103 of 696 Havana B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“A good place to stay and not surrounded by lots of other tourists”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Staying with Ramiro in Havana was a very good decision. His house is located exactly as described and in a city (and country) with - despite many improvements in recent years - severe public transportation problems it is no problem to walk to the Old Town or Vedado (or much further afield, though I suspect I am not typical here) from, should you be adverse to using taxis (as the only alternative to buses). The immediate neighbourhood is perfectly safe while also 'lively' (though certainly not 'touristy'). Those visitors who want to eat out will not find much on the doorstep, but there are a couple of bakeries etc. offering bread or biscuits nearby, as well as a few "3rd category" bars. The bedroom is lovely and clean and cool (it does not face the street so there is little direct sunlight), the bathroom with shower and toilet equally so and Ramiro makes an excellent breakfast. He is an excellent, knowledgeable, aimable host who will gladly share suggestions and can, if required, arrange accomodation in other casa particulares elsewhere in Cuba. Particuarly pleasing was that he was not involved in a 'hard sell' of gifts, food or other things - his suggestions on what to do or where to go were entirely without any hint of personal (financial) gain and there was therefore also no pressure. All in all, it was a pleasure to stay here at the beginning and at the end of our - unfortunately - all too short visit to the Republic of Cuba and I would wholeheartedly recommend Ramiro as a host. If I manage to stump up the money to visit Cuba in the future I would like to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Matt H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Had the pleasure to stay at Ramiro's house on my vacation in Havana. Ramiro was very service minded and helped us with the most. He showed us things that were worth seeing and explained a lot about their culture. He was very good at English. He also cooked good food for us. It was clean and nice I will give my warmest recommendatiion of this Place . Elisabeth Nicklasson from Gothenburg Sweden

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Elisabeth N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at Ramiro's house in February of this year. Ramiro speaks very good English, being an English teacher at the University - I enjoyed talking to him about Cuba. Ramiro is really helpful, he has contacts in other towns in Cuba if you want help with planning your trip. His apartment is clean and comfortable and there is a small balcony overlooking the street. The breakfasts were better than most hotels I stayed at in Cuba and he makes excellent coffee, possibly the best in Cuba! The area is safe even quite late at night. I hope to go to Cuba again some day and I would definitely stay at Ramiro's house again.
Nigel Hosking

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank NigelHosking
Aarhus, Arhus, Denmark
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed with Ramiro for a few days in 2012, just when I arrived in Cuba. He was very friendly and made me feel right at home. He spoke perfect english - which for me was a big help. He help me find cheap accommodation when i traveled around cuba. All the places he re recommended were great. All together I had a great experience in Cuba, to a great extend thanks to Ramiro.
Sarah

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sarah K
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed at Ramiro's Casa in February of 2012 for a full month while I studied Spanish at the University of Havana. Ramiro is a really great host, very helpful with directions and suggestions about how to get around and what to do and where to go and was so helpful. The location is close enough to the University so I could walk, but often Ramiro would drop me off as he teaches there.
It is a nice central spot - accessible to the University and also the and a short walk to catch a Collectivo Cab to the Prado and Havana Vieja. The Hotel Habana Libre and the Vedado area is within walking distance and you purchase internet time on the computers there or get a real burger in their American style diner.

The room and casa were just perfect - the bedroom large with AC and a semi-ensuite bath in a 2nd floor walk up apartment. It is very comfortable and homey. Ramiro keeps the place spotless and for a small additional amount cooked me a great breakfast and dinner during the week, leaving me free to eat out during the weekends. Ramiro speaks English, as he teaches English at the University and so it was great to practice my Spanish and he was helpful to explain things I didn't understand from class.

I am hoping to go visit Ramiro again next year - for sure I would stay there again if going to Havana.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Peggy H
Bayreuth, Germany
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed with Ramiro for a couple of days and had the best time imaginable. He made me feel very welcome and was an inspiring pool of information about Havana and Cuba :) You'll have the best time sitting on his balcony reading, drinking, smoking, talking, living.

greetings,
christoph from Germany

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Christoph1234
Paris, France
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Ramiro was our first host in havana, he made evrything very convenient for us !
Thanks to him, we bought our bus tickets and made the reservation for the next guest house !!!

The room was great, and ramiro's breakfast is sooooo good !!
Certainly the best place to stay !

Etienne & Carine