“Loved it”

Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Havana
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Loved staying here, purely for the fact it is right opposite the iconic Havana sea wall.
Only stayed one night as part of a two day organised excursion from our All Inclusive resort. Hotel is a fairly short cab ride into the main tourist/historic areas, but its worth walking along the sea wall which should only take you about 20 minutes.
Rooms are OK if not a little dated but kept clean. The public areas are impressive and you get a real sense of history. The food is good and the drinks are reasonably priced(compared to european standards).
Havana is a colouful but poor city. People are generally friendly and keen to talk to visitors and give you their point of view of the world and their country. There is a minor level of harrasment from people deparate for US dollars or tourist pesos. The city is generally safe, although I would use the normal street smarts when moving round the city at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of sea wall
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed there for 2 nights during our recent trip to Cuba. It's a really imponent hotel that affirm itself in the neighbourhood, as we enter in the lobby I thought "wow!"... a little vintage but that give you the sense of being in a part of the history.

As we get to our room in the 2nd floor, near to the presidential suite, we understand that in our room stayed some famous musician a long time ago! The room was nice, looked as at been refurbished recently, but the bathroom was not impressive.

The hotel has good outside areas, near pools and at the back with views to the Malecón and we were lucky because was time for Cuban Carnival and all the cubans were out in the street down the Malecon seeing the Carnival cars passing by.

The hotel is not central, is in the Vedado, but in the morning we pick up an old convertible taxi to Old Havana and we came back in Coco Taxi - a must :)

The swiming pool at the our we rush in was completly full of people and was difficult to find a chaise long to put our towels and lay down, but after a while we get one and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon resting our legs from the all day walking.

The breakfast was nice and we tryed the both days staying near the swiming pool window for getting more light, inside it's a little bit dark!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank anasoraiagomes
Ulcinj, Montenegro
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The lobby and the common areas are terrific but a hotel isn't made only of that, specially if it's supposed to be 5 stars.
When I arrived no one offered to carry my luggages, so I had to carry it up the stairway in front of the hotel and then to my room after the check-in. I was not intended to save on tips.
It took 10 minutes untill the reception clerk noticed me and there was nobody else waiting. The first room they designated me was not ready, It was not cleaned after the last guest ckecked-out, so I had to go to reception again, carrying my luggages, to get another room.
Back to the another room - carrying my luggages - it was small, dark, smelly and old. As it is a historical building, it's okay the antique furniture, but wardrobe's doors should open properly, bathroom's door should close adequately, and the carpet and the curtains must be changed - they were full of stains and I think it had a terrible mold smell.
The mattress was easily the worst I've ever slept. It was too soft and its softness was notably because it was very old.
The bathroom was very small but at least it was clean.
The air conditioning system brought a terrible smoke smell in the middle of the night.
Breakfast is just average but I may have misjudged it after a terrible night.
I recommend a visit and a few drinks at the hotel but that's all.

Room Tip: Maybe the U$ 1,000 per night presidential suite is worth the stay. But I doubt,
1 Thank EricArthurBlair
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I stayed here some time ago and promised myself to return. So I stayed at the Hotel Nacional again and found it to be as good as last time I was there. The location of the hotel is amazing, close to the sea and to other main attractions in Havana, walking with history in the midst of superb architecture. I would strongly recommend staying at the Hotel Nacional. I did my reservation directly at the hotel’s website (www.hotelnacionaldecuba.com) and everything worked perfectly again. I’m definitely thinking about coming back!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Hs2000
HOTELNACIONAL, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Nacional de Cuba, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear Customer of the Trip advisor
First of all, I want you to say thank you due to your opinions about our services. We thank you for chose The National Hotel during your stay in Havana.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed a happy stay between us. These opinions help the hotel management to keep the service standards, which are the ones which make you, chose us for your next visité.
Best regards
Belkis bero
guest relations manager
Leicester
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed here for 1night while on a trip to Havana from Varadero. A really beautiful hotel. The best bar area is the one with all the pictures of the famous people who have stayed there. The lobby area is gorgeous, as are the gardens and terraces.

Unfortunately the grandeur stops there. The rooms are quite basic and outdated. Ours looked a little shabby. The food in the buffet restaurant was quite limited and not of a very good standard.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

2 Thank LadyGol
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed with my wife at the Hotel Nacional as part of a wonderful tour to Havana a few weeks ago.

I was very excited to be staying at such a historic landmark hotel being interested in the history and politics of Cuba and Havana.

The hotel has a magnificent location overlooking the Malecon and the Atlantic coast. The gardens and terrace take full advantage of this and it is a great place to relax and enjoy a cocktail and watch the sun go down.

Our room were fine - not huge but comfortable - a little dated but this is part of the charm of the hotel...

We used the pool (the kidney shaped one) - lovely to have a dip but not huge. Nice place to have a coffee next to the pool which we did.

We ate at the buffet (dinner and breakfast) - standard fare for these types of places - nothing special.

The lobby is fantastic - a hive of activity with people coming and going. The staff were helpful - they organised a 1 hour tour for us around Havana in an old American 1950s convertible car (30 pesos) which was great and I highly recommend you do it while in Havana - it brought us to places where off the standard beaten track (Miramar, etc).

There are quite a few boutiques/souvenir shops in the basement

One hint - make sure you have American type plugs for your appliances as the hotel was built in the 1930s and our room only took the US type plug pins.

Overall, I think if you are in Havana, you should consider staying here as it is steeped in recent history - take a look at all the famous people who have stayed here (pictures everywhere) both pre and post revolution...!

Havana is a great city to visit and The Hotel Nacional is its most famous....!

5 Thank wrightser
HOTELNACIONAL, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Nacional de Cuba, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Customer of the Trip advisor
First of all, I want you to say thank you due to your opinions about our services, what we let know to the rest of the employees. We thank you for chose The National Hotel during your stay in Havana.
Best regards
Belkis bero
guest relations manager
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Although this is a self-acclaimed 5-star hotel, it's not really - some loose bathroom fittings and an absence of tea/coffee facilities in the room cannot really claim to be 5-star. The hotel seems to suffer from some faded grandeur, basking in its former magnificance as a place frequented by the stars. While the lobby and hallways are impressive, the rooms are run-of-the-mill.
The pools are ok and the view out across the harbour is great.
The breakfast buffet it plentiful and of a good standard, while the meals in the eatery lunchtime are reasonably priced and fill a hole, without being overwhelming!
I wouldn't necessarily recommend having more than a couple of nights here as there's not too much to do - I suppose you could take a city tour (which is ok at best) or go to see the Tropicana show (which is just cabaret to be honest).
As for the hotel though, it's a nice place offering a good night's sleep and would still recommend it as a place to stop in Havana.

1 Thank msprichj