“Twilight zone”

Hotel Colina
Ranked #63 of 79 Hotels in Havana
“Twilight zone”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

More of a flophouse than a real hotel, this place will horrify some and delight others. From the cheerful hookers hanging out in the cafe to the marx brothers antics of the front desk staff theres never a dull moment here.forget about sleeping as the other " guests " will be partying non stop in the hallways while the sound of jackhammers fills the day . On one occasion we went out for a few hours only to find our room rented to someone else and our belongings stuffed into a broom closet !

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Brother12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Yes I went again to this place but this time I got a problem with the hotel security. There was this party in the cafeteria at night on saturday and I decided to go. The music was good,the people young gay community very nice and respectful I love the drinks etc but I decided to go to my room up for a something and when in there I heard a nock at my door and ther was this girl wanted to be there in my room. I did not invite her or something like that but that is not the point the thing in here is that how she got the elevator so easy to go upstairs?If she did anyone can do it and that is dangerous. I have been in here beore and never had that problem.I called the front desk to claim and they advised her not to do that again and that was good. Service was good,very clean but if you go with children you need to be careful of who gets into the hotel.The next day I was going up after 2 days there and they stopped me and I needed to laugh .They stopped the wrong person and followed me to the elevator like an intruder and with an attitude of who you are?and what are you doing in the wrong place?

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank trip215
HALIFAX
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is an older hotel in Vedado. Location is fantastic very central. Bathroom a good size and I had no problem with hot water at any time during my stay (March 19th-26th), Breakfast was good and 24 hour snack bar also useful after a full day walking. My room was small but I was solo so not a big deal. The staff are really friendly (including front desk !!! ) and cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The room was always clean (no bugs) and towels changed every day and they are nice fluffy towels not the thin ones I have had. I had an inside room with no only a small window with curtains I could not open as I was on the floor with the space outside but light was no problem as there was a large roof light and two bedside lamps. TV worked fine. 112 Volt so Canadian appliances worked.

The room did have a musty smell though but HEY its Cuba and I had a spray with me. My A/C worked great however the one upstairs was dripping on to the top of mine and kept me awake for two night before a resolution was found.The staff did listen to me though and they tried a few solutions. It became a joke though, for the first three days I had problems, running toilet, broken bed.The front desk, housemaid and the maintenance men were great and all the problems were looked after the same day.

All in all I would use this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone needing a cheap hotel in a good area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Kitchener, Ontario
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Got stuck on the fourth floor ( old floor ) ! Room was small and old ! Pretty much had to live out of suitcase, since no storage place. Bathroom was old and not laid out good ! Had too sit sideways on toilet and not make any fast moves in small shower ( L shaped ) ! But besides this and the renovations going on ! ( side note on the this : Thursday morning as they were jack hammering on the floor above us, a piece of the ceiling fell into the shower.. luckly we already finished showering... But the management , never said a word to us or showed any concern ) . Everything else was good ! Great location to explore La Habana from ! Nice patio to sit and watch the busy life of the city ! Friendly staff !

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justliving
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2012

So, I spent 7 nights at Hotel Colina for holiday and that worked perfectly.
First you need to keep in mind that it is a very average and economical choice so don't expect luxurious amenities and super shiny environment. I got there around 11-12 of the morning. The room was not ready till 4 pm but they suggest me to leave my stuff at the reception and enjoy the hotel cafeteria. The hotel cafeteria that consists of an indoor and an balcony section is a good choice for yellow situation like when you want to just take a food or snack and go to bed, for a coffee after dinner, a break in afternoon or when you need to stay close to your room (Like me that had a digestive sickness for a day and need to stay close to my room). The food and drinks are pretty good and affordable. Since I had a Spanish companion, I instruct her to leave a tip for the receptionist and instead ask for a renovated room, finally we got a good room (212). The room was toward the patio and the bed was not as our desire but the rest was perfect and the room was clean and fresh. The maid was cleaning the room and change the bedsheets every morning and the water was pretty always hot (sometimes it needed 3-4 min to warm up). The staff are really helpful and willing to help but generally it is much more appreciated to tip like anywhere else in Cuba. The breakfast is kind of perfect - at least for my apatite - and can be consist of ham and cheese, at least two kinds of juice, fresh fruits, hot and cold milk and flavoured milk, at least two types of sweets, tea and Cuban Coffee (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), toasts and butter and sausage, and a variety of eggs, plus lots of other things.
The elevator is pretty slow but still working efficiently and always you have the option of stairs that is convenient.
In overall I'm so satisfied with the hotel and it really worth the value, specially now that it is going under serious renovation and becomes better and better. But if you till have the option to choose another destination I recommend to go for somewhere else than Havana since you can get cheaper deal with higher level of service and the city does not worth the amount of higher difficulty in comparison with other points in Cuba like Cayo Coco, Varadero, Camaguey and Santa Clara.
If you are staying at the hotel Colina I recommend to go for eat to the following places:
1- The restaurant in north side of calle 21 between calle M and calle L. (I think it is La Roca)
2- The coffee shop beside Havana Libre at the intersection of Calle L and Avenida 23.
3- Heladería Coppelia at the intersection of Calle L and Avenida 23. (For ice cream)
Also you can use Havana Libre (a famous hotel near Coline) tourism facility and tour desks since they are more active than one in the Colina.

Room Tip: Lowe levels, Renovated, and with double beds.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Ramin Z
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My experience at this hotel was horrible in terms of customer service, amenities, cleanliness and general help with information and directions in the area. The attitude at the receptionists are also very interesting.

I had a couple of mishaps. First, I had lost my voucher for the first night's reservation. I had no problem paying extra or resolving the situation in some other way so I would have a place to stay in Habana. Mariella, the receptionist, was extremely rude and treated us as if we are trying to cheat her or something. She was angry at something but we couldn't figure out what.

I got a room next day. The lights were not working, the sheets were very dirty and the water wasn't running.

The next day, I wanted to switch rooms. A friend of mine who was staying at the hotel had already paid for his room for the next three days and was traveling elsewhere. So, we went down to the reception to see if I could either take over that room, pay for an extra person or even pay the whole rate. The first reaction we got (before we were told about some possible options) was: "This is not anybody's house. It's a hotel." The lady acted like she's talking to her teenage daughter. We were insulted and although we were paying customers looking for our best options, we were given the worst options and an attitude on top of it.

The breakfast was good and the location is alright but there are many other options for the same price that are much more welcoming, friendly, clean and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window. Otherwise, you're in the dark with no lights working.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank h a

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights last june 30 and the service was very good. Clean hotel only that I got a room on 4th floor and water did not come up so I couldn't take a shower but they changed my room to 1st and the room was better and i had a great time there. Very near everything in Vedado.

Room Tip: lower floors rooms are better.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family