“Great Hotel to act as "base camp" to see Havana”

Be Live Havana City Copacabana
Ranked #49 of 79 Hotels in Havana
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Great Hotel to act as "base camp" to see Havana”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Feb 2014 - We enjoyed the hotel; it was great and we got to know the staff too. The hotel is along the ocean and located outside of Havana municipality but it is on the route of the $5 CUC (all day 9-6 )2 level daily "geton-getoff" bus tour(40min to Havana downtown). There is also a grocery market across the street where you can get cheap bottled water ($2 5L). They just got wifi ($6 hr). The pool is very nice and there is a natural pool in the ocean where you can hang out. $10 - $15 to get a cab to/fro downtown. There is a 24hr pizza place which is a great value for the $. The breakfast buffet is great, but know you are in another country and there fare is just different but you can "fill up". If you are going to see Havana Cuba as a traveller/explorer this is a great choice, if you are expecting 5 star, then go to one, but I never regretted this choice and would return again.

brad
EDMONTON, CANADA

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brad w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We were sent to the Copacabana when our original hotel didn't have room. They treated us very well. This is a very moderate priced hotel right on the Ocean with spectacular views and fab pool. Large room with a balcony not directly looking out over the water but close enough. I
for one am glad they could accomodate us for the two nights we were displaced. They had entertainment in the little bar which was quite good. The staff that I encountered were pleasant and our room was cleaner than expected. Carpets could use a good clean, walls need to be repainted and hall ways cleaned up. I didn't expect a 4 star so not too upset. Poor bar staff was really attentive. Food was mediocre at best. Buffet was just average. Eat at the pool bar their sandwiches were great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank BettyLali
London, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Ok, we travel a fair bit and use trip central on every outing to get a feel for resorts etc. This resort is totally acceptable if you are not expecting a 5 star (which does not exist in Havana!) There was decent entertainment every night and very cheap drinks! The pool was not crowded and the staff were fine. A open top bus leaves every half hour right out front to Old Havana, great 20 minute ride!!! The buffet looked.. ummm not great, however there is a FABULOUS funky/modern bistro kitty corner which was INCREDIBLE! We mostly ate for peanuts in Old Havana during the day, wonderful inexpensive food! Our room was decent with a nice view of the ocean although we did not like the first room they showed us and asked to be moved to the "right side" of the resort. The internet was sketchy, and very slow.... All in all a great time was had and we would recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for the right side of building, do not settle for a room with a less than ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank redcabrio
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

News flash: a three-star hotel in Havana is not a five star in St. Lucia. The Copacabana is, indeed, a bit shabby. So are most things in Havana. I can say, however, that when we moved from the new wing to an old wing because we wanted a balcony, I saw no difference in the two (my husband said the older room was better). There was no smell of mildew, and the bathroom worked fine in the older room (the newer one had problems). I didn't swim in the freshwater pool, but it looked very nice, and we spent hours snorkelling in the salt-water pool, where we even saw an octopus! There again: the ocean pool is crumbling, but that's Havana. The water was warm and lovely. Look out for sea urchins, though -- don't use the western stairs into the pool; they're a sea-urchin nursery. The downside to the hotel is the dining room. The food is unpleasant and the service slow. If you want an omelette in the morning or something off the grill at night, you will wait a long time, as there is usually only one person working the counter, he does one order at a time, and is frequently interrupted by colleagues who seem to have nothing to do but chat. I gave up on what seemed dangerously undercooked meat and fish from the grill and switched to the stuff in hot trays, which was ok. Fortunately, there are options right across the road...the 2do Piso in the pink building just to the west of the main door, which is bare bones but nice food (we had to get our own wine, but I think they had just run out) and Lavastida, a white house kitty corner to the hotel, which was wonderful...a tapas bar and formal restaurant, just opened in mid-December. They're expensive by Cuban standards but cheap by Canadian. It is a bit far from downtown, but we thought it was worth it to be oceanfront.

Room Tip: Our balcony had no furniture, so I borrowed some from the pool deck. I didn't ask, I just did it...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank diver013
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2014

90 CUC for a crappy and tired room, broken and dirty bathroom, old and acidic food and indifferent staff ???? no way... I would not recommend this Hotel. They need to work on these issues and to care more about the customers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Reina299

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This resort has an ocean pool basically a pool fed with ocean water that rises with the tide and was exceptionally warm. The rest of the resort was clean but not exceptional. Our room for 90 CUC a night was just OK but it had a great view of the ocean. The food was weak but the small lobby bar had good drinks and reasonable prices. The reason to stay here is the location of course and the pool.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Robusto89
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at the Copacabana from November 11th - 17th. My impression of the Copacabana hotel improved as the week went on. I knew not to expect too much, after all, things are different here. First impressions were good though. I was happy with the lobby - it was bright, spacious, clean, and looked nice. The huge arrangement of fresh flowers at the reception was a nice touch.

I knew there was a renovated side and an older side, and as luck would have it, I was assigned to a room on the older side. Oh well, it was fairly clean and spacious. The water pressure in the shower was fine, and the bed wasn't too bad. The trouble started the next morning when I awoke at 4:30am to find my room was flooded. There was a big thunderstorm during the night so I assumed that the water came in through the hall door and I expected to see the whole floor flooded. Only my room and the room directly across from my room were flooded though. As we later discovered, the flooding came from a bunch of plumbing that was enclosed in a type of closet between the two flooded rooms - and as we saw, the water coming out of these pipes was a light yellow color (which explained the bewildering smell of urine in my room). Although my neighbor and I had complained several times within 4 hours, nothing was done - we had to demand to be changed to a new room. Finally, after 4 hours of complaining, we were told we would be moved to the renovated side, which is across the walkway.

I much preferred the newer side - the rooms were brighter (several members of the group I was travelling with had rooms there) and there was more counter space in the bathroom. I can actually say I had no complaints about this room - it was clean, comfortable, and roomy. And the entire week I was at this hotel, I didn't see one cockroach in my room - bonus! The daily maid service was great, I always had clean towels, it was handy to have a fridge to keep bottled water in, and the TV worked fine. There was also a 110V outlet. Oh, and at night I could hear the ocean, which I found very soothing. The downside is that the newer side seemed to be noisier (people coming in late, doors slamming).

Although some people might complain about the distance of the hotel from downtown Havana, it was not a problem for my group - it was about a 20 minute ride into Old Havana, at 10CUC per ride (which, of course, can be split several ways if you travel as part of a group). We did go into Old Havana on a daily basis, and I would say that it is probably still more economical to stay at the Copacabana and take a taxi everyday to Old Havana than to stay in a hotel right in Old Havana. I kind of liked being in the quieter area of Havana - there were lots of restaurants around (we ate at the Doctor's Café - highly recommended!), and we got more than our fill of excitement by going to the clubs during the evenings, so a quieter area was a nice change of pace.

There is a place to change money at the Panorama hotel, which is about a 10 minute walk away, and it was nice to stroll down 5th avenue - there are lots of restaurants and little stores around. There is also a convenience store across the street from the hotel where you can buy bottled water for about 45 cents (compared to the $1.50CUC the hotel charges).

We had our breakfast at the hotel daily and I must commend the omelette cook - he made a great omelette and was very friendly - every day we would have a conversation about the previous day's activities. There was a good selection of fruit, some potatoes, cheese, and that was fine for me. The coffee came from a machine and there was a variety of tasty choices - coffee with milk, espresso, and cappuccino. There was usually a line-up for the coffee but we found the best time to go (least busy) was at 9am (breakfast is served from 7-10am). We had the buffet dinner once (served until 10pm) and it was delicious - grilled chicken, pork, and ground beef patties were offered, there was rice, several salads, and a delicious rice pudding for dessert (they also had rice pudding at breakfast, which I loved!).

The bar staff were also very friendly and efficient. And the drinks were delicious! Especially the pina coladas! Prices were very reasonable (e.g., $2CUC for a glass of red wine, $3 for a nice pina colada, I think beer was $2). We also ordered cappuccinos from the bar during the day and they were delicious (and very reasonable at $1.50 CUC). There was evening entertainment several times during the week (most of the time we went out but we would see bands setting up or playing before we left).

There is also a restaurant that serves pizza and pasta all day (but being celiac, I could not partake, although my travel companions said the pizza was delicious).

The pool area was fine - always enough loungers for everyone, and they played a good mix of music (salsa, bachata, etc).

It cost $2 per day to rent a safe and I would highly recommend this.

Would I stay here again? Yes. It is reasonably priced, service is great, the rooms (in general) are clean and comfortable, and the location is not much of a hindrance, especially considering the price of the hotel. It is not fancy but it is a good value.

Room Tip: Rooms on the renovated side are nicer
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends