1,899 results
All reviews oldest hotel rooftop bar old havana cuban music fantastic location plenty of hot water calle obispo old cars central havana habana vieja earplugs tourists capitolio plumbing culture taxis malecon
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed for three nights as part of a week’s holiday. Very basic although historic hotel. The Room was windowless but clean. The restaurant was very limited. These problems were to be expected in Havana however. The hotel is very centrally located which was a great plus.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Not too expensive (CUC 189 for a triple) and a traditional building is a great location BUT.... service is incredibly slow, the restaurant is very average, our reservation did not exist despite a call to book and a second call to reconfirm, our room had no external windows etc. My suggestion would be to stay elsewhere but to come here and enjoy a coffee / mojito under the arches to soak up the atmosphere and the live music. There is a Cadeca in the hotel wich is better than queueing to change money in town.

Room tip: Ask for a room with external windows!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We were given room 224 in the hotel for 4 nights. There was no window in the room, the hotel aircon system was next to the bathroom and was noisy 24/7. The bedding looked like ex-army blankets and the bathroom door did not shut. We asked to change rooms but were told it was not possible on first night and to ask after breakfast on the next day. Not possible again! At this stage we gave up as we did not want to lose time changing rooms for the last nights only. How can any hotel, even in Cuba, think this type of room is acceptable.
Other rooms may have been acceptable but this room should not be allocated to paying guests.
I would suggest avoiding this hotel as they think a windowless room is not a problem.

Room tip: Demand a room with a window as condition of booking.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andre B
Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you want to live in a really old and historic hotel, this is the hotel for you. It is not very cheap, but I recommend do stay there for the first 2 or 3 days of your trip to Havana (as we did) before looking for a private house. The first great thing is the location directly at the central park, on the border between the two central districts Habana Centro and Habana Vieja. From here you can explore the inner city by walking, or by taking one of the classical taxis which are waiting in front of the hotel. The second great thing is the hotel itself: It is THE hotel in Havana, has a great entrance hall and restaurant, and a rooftop bar. In the evening you can sit on the terrace in front of the hotel, watch the people walking there and listen to the live music that plays there every night. The rooms are not very luxurious, but if you don't want to stay in the room all day, they are ok. You should ask for a room with a view to the park, then you will have a great view and a balkony.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jens S
Reviewed 14 March 2012

FIRSTLY ~~ request a balcony facing the main street as many rooms have no windows. I was very happy with my stay here. My room was small but quaint and I saw some of the other rooms and they were quite spacious. My room was clean and my maid Alicia was amazingly great. The lobby and restaurant are extremely nice. The breakfast buffet was pretty decent actually ~~ fresh juices, fruits, eggs, meats, delicious cheeses, salads, meatballs... I was pleasantly surprised. There is a fun patio on the roof and in the front of the hotel... often with great live music. This hotel is in the middle of EVERYTHING. The cabaret bar at the National next door is a super fun racious bar. The Floridita is a block away. More about the room... My TV got some great english movie channels including Showtime so it was nice to take a break in my room. Upon checking in I suggest you tell front desk you want use of your room safe. You will pay 2 cuc (the Cuban equivilent of $2) per night upon check out - a wise investment.
I will definitely be staying here again. My bathroom was tiny but had great water pressure and was very clean and cute. Don't expect high luxury though.

Room tip: I stayed in 306 which was small but had a little balcony. I saw rooms 307 and 311 and they were far bigger and better.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo