“Worst staff, ok hotel”
Review of Hotel Inglaterra

Hotel Inglaterra
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I would have to say there was 2 staff that were quite good at this hotel, one was a security staff member, the other was front desk. Over 4 nights I only saw her once, the rest of the front desk staff could not be more rude and could not care less.

The hotel is next to a museum and that itself is next to the capitol building - which is nice.

Across the road is Central Park, and unless you really have your wits about you is a place to avoid when you are alone - day or night.

The first night I was there I was having dinner at the rooftop bar and grill when a lady came and sat with me, as it turned out she was a prostitute.

A couple of days later while I was in my room the phone rang and it was some lady trying to get me to come down to the lobby - apparently we had drinks the day before and I was her friend. Only thing was that I went to Santiago for the day and sat with no one in Havana. During the phone call she said I was a New Zealander - a very strange and accurate guess of my nationality.

now long after I had a phonecall from a man claiming almost the same thing, but mainly wanting me down in the lobby - also said I was a New Zealander. Eventually I just went down and asked at the front desk about it, and the lady said did they know your name and I said no so she said dont worry about it. I asked how often this was going to happen and she just shrugged and that was it as far as she was concerned.

I could never buy internet there - the answer everytime I tried was 'its not possible' so in the end I went to a different hotel on the corner of Central Park and bought it there.

There is a restaurant, a rooftop bar and grill and a bar in the hotel. The restaurant runs until 10pm - no problems. The rooftop bar says 2am but couldnt get food there at 12am, so went to the bar which says 24 hours with sandwiches and snacks. No luck - they stop serving any food at 10pm. Very frustrating trying to get food in this hotel, and its certainly not of any quality worth going there for!

I ended up eating at the same place I got the internet and I was blown away by how amazing the staff were and how immaculate the hotel was presented.

I would suggest avoiding this hotel at all costs. There is not enough character for that to influence your stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank JetSet-Q
Write a ReviewReviews (1,637)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked this hotel on the recommendation of Cuba Direct. We explicitly said that we wanted a better hotel because it was our wedding anniversary and we wanted it to be special (and the reviews on here weren't great). Cuba Direct convinced us that it had been recently renovated and that they'd request one of the newer rooms, so naively we took their advice as the location was so good.
We arrived late in the evening for a 2 night stay only to find that we'd been designated two single beds. When we asked to be moved we were rudely told that it was full (similar to other comments on here), there was no room service and the restaurant and bar had closed, so no dinner for us! The breakfast buffet was basic, whereby the fruit and pastries looking very questionable due to the flies within the dining room. Again, a lack of service and general rudeness when asking for cutlery as we ended up clearing a table and setting one for ourselves.
Long story short, it's a great location, but not don't expect reasonable service, food or rooms, and don't be fooled by the beautiful lobby!
P.s. The rooftop bar was awful, I asked for a soft drink and the only option was juice, which was served in a small carton with a straw.....

Room Tip: It doesn't matter what you say, you still get stuck in a rubbish room.
5  Thank Parbeen T
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Hotel Inglaterra is a fabulous Old Colonial Hotel, that still has the magic and decor of days gone by. The decor is of its "period" and is well maintained. The hotel is in a prime location overlooking the Parque Central, which is the hub for the historical district. The hotel is clean and well serviced, with ground terrace, Restaurant and great views from the roof terrace. The staff were first class and really friendly. The food was of a high standard and reasonably priced considering the prestige of the hotel. If you get an outside room, beware of the street noise, as it can go on till 2/3 am. I had already researched this and used earplugs. I'd rather have a room with a view. I would definitely stay here again if I visit Havana :0D

Room Tip: Our room was spotless and serviced every day. You can get inner rooms which are quiet or outer rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Devlin_Hands
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel for Easter Break for 3 nights. It is a lovely place with the best location in Havana! The staff working there is very friendly and very helpful - including a lovely door man. Our room was good- the only thing I would ask when visiting to have a window in a room, as it can be a bit dark...Overall it was a great stay with real Cuban atmosphere. The music never slips in this city and the people are always happy. Floridita is literally 5 min away - go and try their lovely cocktails!

1  Thank Pati556
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Considering that this is the oldest hotel in Havana with over 100 years, don't expect it too be like other hotels. The architecture is quite nice and the rooms are big, although very unusual and different. We had the room with the windows to the main street and it was kind of noisy. The breakfast was good with plenty of choices (except the coffee, which was terrible). There was a small restaurant on the roof top with a very nice view and good cocktails. Located near the old Havana, the hotel offers easy access to all of the city and it is close to the Malecon. The staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vikulea
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed 5th April 2014 for 4 nights. this is the worst hotel i have every stayed in.
i was in room 112 over looking over the front, it was very noisy and the fumes from traffic was horrible.
The room was dated, the on suite had mold over the ceiling and walls. ever now and them there was smell of Sewerage, which you have pour water down the drains to stop.
there was bare wires on the air con unit.
The breakfast was a joke, when a limited amount of Baguettes were put out the majority were consumed but kitchen staff. were one morning i cracked my egg, it went all over me, totally uncooked, had to wash in toilets behind reception to my surprise also smelt of raw sewage but only more potent.
i did ask to move room but was refused

Room Tip: cuba is a lovely place, just don't stay here, i find it very hard to belive the average review...
5  Thank mike o
Reviewed 22 April 2014

As I spent almost each day in the center of Havana this was one of my favourite points where I used to spent some time.Good coffe anda sandwiches in caffeteria,About acommodationj inside hotel I can not say anything as I dont sleep there .Hotel is 50 meters from Theather National ,200 meters from Capitolio,300 meters from famous Partagas cigar factory and 10 minutes walking to Havan Vieja.Location is absolutly amazing for walking distances to best points in Havana.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo