“Rooftop breakfast was nice”
Review of Sercotel Lido

Sercotel Lido
Ranked #64 of 79 Hotels in Havana
Abbotsford,BC
“Rooftop breakfast was nice”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This hotel is only a couple blocks from the centre square.It included breakfast on a beautiful open roof top overlooking old Havana.Loved this! The room itself was less then desirable.Small,musty with a window facing a brick wall and no hot water.The elevator was broken,we stayed on the 4th floor. If you are looking for basic accommodations for sleeping and a place to store your bags while you are out exploring Havana, then look no further. Price was right and it was perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Rachele777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Worst hotel I've stayed in. Better to get a casa particular with friendly staff than this. Staff were horrible to us because we were black. Other black guests also complained to us at how horrible staff had been to them compared to other tourists. One cleaner sat on our bed when my partner & I were trying to have a conversation, sent by the receptionist. The rooms look nothing like the pictures ive seen, purportedly on the net. I'd booked 3 nights & I left after 2, just to get out of the bad atmosphere . The service doesnt reflect cuba at all. I've stayed in the 5 star Parque Centrale, Hotel National & $10 cuc per night casas & anywhere I stayed was better with more friendly welcoming staff than this. Nearly ruined my holiday until I moved to a casa. Not worth the approx £20-30 per night I paid.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Ele W

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Well, I was in Cuba for the fist time with my friend in November, 8, 2010, it was my birthday. When we arrived at the Havana International Airport we didn't know where to find an accommodation. I speak Spanish and I said a taxi driver that we would like to find one somewhere in the center of the city of Havana and by chance we find ourselves right in the Lido Hotel. The first thing that impressed us was their price, 35 CUC per double room per night with breakfast. 1CUC is approximately equal to 1 USD. We have finished my birthday party and went to sleep. I got up at 5 o'clock o so the next day because of a cock singning!!!! Fortunately, it was the only drawback of the location. I went on the balcony and...on the right I saw the building of Capitolio WAW we're right in the centre! A bit later my friend and I went to have a breakfast. The hotel's restaurant is located on the roof of the building. So, you have terrific views of the city from there! Than we went to sightseeing. The location was so perfect that all the places of interest in the old town and central town are within easy walking distance from the Lido Hotel !!! I thoroughly recommend this hotel to you. Greg from Russia.

Room Tip: Ask at the reception deck a room with a balcony because there are interior rooms without a balcony
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
11 Thank Grisha78
Dublin
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The Lido is not the best hotel in Havana for sure, the showers are pretty bad, the breakfast is average at best, served by disinterested staff, and the rooms are a bit rough around the edges but on the other hand it is in Habana Centro which couldn't be a better location.
I arrived late from the airport so after one beer I collapsed into bed. To wake the following morning with the sound of salsa coming from next door and to look over the crumbling city from the roof terrace really gave me the feeling of being in Havana, I did avoid the scrambled eggs though.
There are many better hotels in the city but they are overpriced and full of the usual tourist stuff and are far removed from the reality of life in Havana. I quite liked the more gritty aspects of this place and as it caters to locals as well as tourists you might actually get to meet some Cubans! It is a 10 minute walk to the Malecon, not much more to Habana Veija. The streets around this area are great to wander and though they are dark at night due to the lack of street lighting I never felt treatened or unsafe.
For what you get it is good value.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank The_road5
Paris, France
Reviewed 1 February 2011

The hotel (even if it would rather be called hoStel) is well located, even if the street is kind of scary. The rooms are dirty, no curtains, actually no windows so that you hear everything outside (like the back neighbour who listens to salsa on his terrace all night long), the mattresses are certainly 20/30 years old. The breakfast is disgusting BUT I must admit that it's served on the building terrace and you have a wonderful sight on the city. The team of the hotel is not welcoming at all.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank nonom
London
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Where do I start?! We arrived at Hotel Lido for our last night in Havana before leaving for the UK the following day. As we approached the hotel, I did say to my friend that it looked dodgy but then most places in Havana look a little bit run down and we'd felt so safe for all our trip, we thought we'd be fine. We checked in and went up to our room which was dark and dingy owing to the window looking out onto a concrete wall and the lightbulbs barely functioning. There was damp on the walls and no hot water running in the smallest shower in the world. However, it was just for one night so we thought we'd make do. We left for our last night out in Cuba only to return around 10 minutes later as i'd forgetten something which is when we discovered that in that time, someone had got into our room through the window and stolen our handbags from the bed as well as a number of other items. We notified the hotel receptionist and security guard who were not only reluctant to help us as they didn't want the police at their hotel (presumably the security guard thought his job would be on the line) but were just plain rude and unbelievably accused us of having made the theft up in front of the police. Not once did we receive an apology from the hotel staff and they made an incredibly difficult situation a lot worse. The following morning, the hotel manager met us and told us at the very least we didn't have to pay for our night's accommodation, only to be told when we checked out that this was not the case and they would still need to pay. We just walked out. I strongly advise against staying in this hotel, yes its cheap but you can find far nicer accommodation for the same price in a casa particular.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clapham1
Tambov, Russia
Reviewed 12 January 2011

We stayed at this hotel just for one night as soon as we arrived in Havana. A taxi from the airport took us about 20 minutes to get from there to the hotel. We paid 25 CUC for it but my advice is try to make te price lower, 25 CUC is too much, we just didn't know that but by the end of our trip we realised that a reasonable price for a ride from the airport to Habana Vieja (Old Havana region) is 10 CUC, that's how much we paid when we were leaving.
About the hotel..To some people it might seem inconvenient and scary to arrive and start looking for a casa particular right away, but it is a right decision to take, the hotels are more expensive and the quality in some of them isn't worth paying money. Lido hotel cost us 46 CUC for 2 people for 1 night, we got a room which had a very little window, that's why was very dark. There were no hot water in this hotel and that's what you need first after a 8-hour flight. The best thing about Lido hotel is the restaurant which is located on the roof and the view from there is breathtaking. The restaurant offered 2 types of breakfast: omellet or a sandwich, juice or tea, toasts with butter.
In short words, this hotel is just OK for one night to spend but if I come to Cuba for the second time, I would definately go for a casa particular starting from the very first day of the trip. There are nice ones just a few steps from Lido hotel, the price is 25-35 CUC depending on the location.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple