“a safe choice”

IBEROSTAR Parque Central
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed 30 January 2006

Stayed here for a week in early January. The hotel is a safe choice and is not too large as opposed to some of the Melia hotels.
it is superbly well placed and as everywhere in cuba the staff were friendly and helpful, although regular tipping of a peso does improve service even further.
The rooms are comfortable and in reality it is a good 4 star but not 5 star hotel.
as with everywhere in cuba it is not worthwhile chasing the gourmet food, it does not exist. we tried the silver service restaurant but in reality the bar snacks are just as good and much cheaper. Dont bother with the better restaurants in havana, they try hard but some-how mess up every time.
the pool in the roof is very good but fills up after lunch. As I see that the general manager monitors this site i would just ask him to replace the loungers which are seriously past sell-by date.
The range of choices in havana is limited, although one or two of the newer boutique hotels in old havana looked interesting and on balance i would say that the parque is a good choice if you wish to be comfortable and central if a bit antiseptic in its design

• Stayed: January 2006
10  Thank nmcc
Management response:Responded 6 February 2006

Havana, february 6th, 2006

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer and users,

Thanks for your comments. And yes, I am monitoring this site on an almost daily basis.

You are absolutely right about the sun-beds at the pool. They really are in need of replacement and I am pleased to inform you that the order has been placed. However, things take some time here, so please bare with me. Soon there will be new sunbeds at the pool. Thanks for pointing this out anyway!

Hospitable Regards,
NH Parque Central

Maurits M.X. Looijen
Director of Sales and Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (7,245)

Reviewed 23 January 2006

After many years of dreaming I finally made it to Cuba. The initial shock - noise, pollution, humidity, chaos - soon turned into a deep affection. The people, the neverending salsa, fresh mojitos, colourful art, amazing architecture and unique culture simply blew me away. On my way from the airport to my hotel I just stared out of the window, completely overwhelmed and almost scared but on the way back to the airport just five days later, I was in tears. Did not want to leave. Hotel Parque Central was luxurious, the service was worthy of a fat tip, facilities and cleanliness first class and for a single female traveller it offered a wonderful, safe (and cool!) base to return to after days of wonderful but hot Havana madness. I visited other hotels for drinks and meals, but found the Parque Central definitely the cleanest and best maintained. Highly recommended!

15  Thank Reissunainen
A TripAdvisor Member
England, UK
Reviewed 19 January 2006

We spent 3 nights in this hotel from December 28th 2005.

Overall we agree with other peoples comments on the architecture, it doesn’t fit with the surrounding area, but if planned works can do something about this all the better.

The hotel is in a superb location with the majority of sites you would wish to visit within walking distance. Be prepared though to do lots of walking, it’s the only way to see Havana so take very comfy shoes.

Our room was on a high floor (6th) so we were not so affected by traffic noise and building works next door. The rooms are well decorated although very Hilton like and the bathrooms are large. My only comment on the bathrooms is that the baths are very slim and make for a very tight fit bath! The shower on the other hand was a power shower and excellent, plenty of hot water.

We had room service our first night which was excellent, the food was good, served to our room quickly and with a smile. It was just what we needed after a long day travelling.

We ate one evening meal in the Restaurant Mediterraneo the quality was good but the dining room does look like a cafeteria with the breakfast buffet area to one side. Having said this there is another dining room in the hotel which looks silver service (we didn’t eat there).

Breakfast in the Mediterraneo is very good. There was plenty of choice and good quality food. Most of the fruit available though was tinned in syrup.
Coffee/Tea is waiter/waitress service which was sometimes slow; I don’t understand how the staff can walk about with coffee pots and not see you need a top up!

We went up to the pool at the top of the hotel, the views of the city are fantastic, but we didn’t actually use the pool or facilities up there.

I’d say the hotel is definitely worth staying in if you are planning a visit to Havana.

My overall comments on Havana are:

The City is much polluted, as there are several oil refineries’ nearby which cause a haze over the city, you can also smell oil depending on which way the wind is blowing. I did find this oppressive and craved fresh air.

The city’s streets especially if you are off the beaten track are dirty. Parts of the city are very run down but Old Havana is being slowely restored and is beautiful.

We found it very hard to get a decent meal in restaurants in the city, quality, and service varied considerably and it is expensive. Its best is to do your homework before you go we didn’t and regretted it. If you visit Cuba not expecting gourmet food you won’t be disappointed.

Expect to pay UK prices for wine. Some of the Spanish wine we tried was really excellent.

Do take a city tour in a horse and buggy it’s a good way to see the real Havana. Expect to pay 10 Cuban convertible pesos per person per hour.

You will be pestered non stop, but you are left alone if you clearly say NO. In fact just say no as you are approached to avoid any discussion.

Havana is a safe city to visit. At no time did we feel threatened or worried but I would say be as aware of being on city streets as you would be in any country. Don’t take a risk if something doesn’t look right or you feel uncomfortable.

Having said all of this I would definitely go back to Havana (this was my second trip) and I would stay at the Parque Central Hotel again.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 January 2006

Parque Central is the best hotel Havana has to offer. The location is ideal as all you have to do is step out and you are in the heart of the old city. Rooms are spacious & neat. Bathrooms are big. It has a very nice rooftop pool/bar and the food isn't too bad either. There is nothing I can fault in this hotel.

Just thought this might be a good forum for those new to Cuba to get a head start on some really great restaurants too -

La Julia in old Havana on O'Reiley is the most typical cuban rice/beans/meat you can get.

La Cocina De Lilliam in Miramar is worth the taxi ride. Make sure you make reservations. It's a beautiful garden setting.

Calle 10 in Miramar again is the only place we found veggies!!! After a week of meat we cannot be blamed for shedding a tear or two when the plate of fresh grilled veggies arrived. Again book ahead of time.

Coffee on the roof top of Ambos Mundos and evening mojitos at Hotel Igeleterra watching the world go by...

Enjoy!!!!

14  Thank s s
Reviewed 18 December 2005

After reading previous reviews I was slightly sceptical about the hotel but decided to go with it as I am management within an airline company that uses the hotel between flights and would like to share give my verdict with future passengers.

First of all when in Cuba dont expect it to be the same standard as the Western World as they are limited with resources due to the Embargo and previous hurricanes ruining food stock. Also way of life for people they all get paid the same so their is not that much incentive for them to be over helpful.

The room was quite large and good with a comfortable bed and clean bathroom. Minibar and room menu where up to reasonable standard. Bit dissapointed with the minibar, not in regards to the amount of stock but the supply of american drinks such as coke, sprite and also european beer. I am in CUBA I would expect it to be full of CUBAN products...so as to sell and merchandise the country. People come for something different rather that what we can get at home. -tv needs replacing(room 415)keeps shutting off.

Housekeeping was fine except they replace the towels long after the room has been cleaned rather than whens its being cleaned.

-pool -service was great.

Massage - one massuese was great the guy that talk a hundred miles an hour is a great and helpful person.
The other gentleman (bald guy) demanded a tip after the massage which i found was quite taken back as I was going to give him one anyhow.

cigar shop- had to have patience with the lady for service as her stocktake was more important. Cigars purchased though was excellent quality well preserved and smoked extreamly well. (Coaba Equisidos and MonteCristo no.2)

Reception and concierge where quite pleasant and charming. Michel(concierge) orgainsed a convertable with a driver at 20 CUC per hour who drove us around Havana for a few hours which was one of our major highlights. 1953 yellow ford convertable.Brilliant!

Lobby bar, good cocktails- wait staff very nice but food should be reviewed for quality and price. Get the chef from the restaurant to make something more creative and More CUBAN. Also to increase revenue encorage the wait staff to promote nibblies and sell cigars. Thats what most people come for .... rum and cigars.

Restaurant -didnt dine in evening as lighting was quite bright making it look a bit sterile. It should be toned down. Breakfast was fantastic though. I can understand the issue with fresh fruit due to supply/demand but other than that is was brilliant every day. The older Chef that cooks the omelettes is a shining star and is alway in a great and bubbly mood, makes you laugh and puts a big smile on your face which is a great start for the day.

Transfers were good and reliable.
Bottom line I would recommend the hotel to anyone that stays in havana as location and overall srandard was quite good.

Just remember to all... come with cash and use proper exchange Buros as you get charged with 11 percent if using your Credit Card or withdrawing from a teller machine. Learnt our lesson the hard way.

22  Thank marty123
Management response:Responded 21 December 2005

Havana, december 21st, 2005

Dear Trip Advisor users and reviewers,

With great interest I read this review and allow me to clarify some misunderstandings to all of our future guest. Bullet point wise to keep it clear and simple:

1. It might sound a bit like a cliche, but if you travel to Asia, do you also refer to Western Standards? Or if you travel to Africa? So in the Caribbean, expect a Caribbean standard, which varies from simple to very good. Suiting all the tastes and catering all needs. Ah, and you might want to visit the cuba forum since there are some interesting conversations on this subject.

2. The cubans not being over helpful because they all get paid the same...? I read this remark 2 times but could not discover what one thing has to do with another. If the impression has been caused that our staff was not helpful or over helpful, I would consider this a management problem, which you can be sure will be addressed to in my next staff meeting.

3. The selection of cuban products in the minibar: Just decided to check myself a random minibar and found the following cuban items: Cuban beer, cuban juice and cuban rum. In order to please all our guests, we also provide international drinks. And this might come as a surprise...we can't stock more items because not for nothing it is called a Mini Bar.

4. The TV needs replacing because it keeps shutting off (room 415). Thanks for this comment and for mentioning the roomnumber because indeed we discovered a rather unknown situation: The powercord is too short and when you pull the TV towards you, out of its shelve, the powercord tends to loosen. Consider this problem fixed!

5. Towels being replaced after the room was cleaned: Correct: We did suffer some inconveniences with our new linnen supply, so that's what caused the delay. This problem has been resolved, having received a new supply last week.

6. The masseur asking for a tip: Tried to contact him today, but he was off duty. A shame this wasn't reported immediately to us. I'll talk to him anyhow.

7. Slow service at the cigar shop: Thanks for mentioning and we will take this up with the store manager.

8. Food should be more cuban: Funny remark, considering that you were mentioning before the expectation of Western Standards..However, our menus have a different cuban dish every day and should a guest wants to order something typical cuban, which is not on the menu that day, rest assured that our cuban chef will be more than happy to prepare something special for you.

9. The lighting in the Restaurant is too bright: Thanks for the opinion and I will take this up with the captain, because we do have the possibility to tone it down.

10. The 11% charge on your creditcard: Learned our lesson the hard way is not entirely the right expression in this case. Due to Cuban monetary regulations, all creditcard transactions are subject to a 11.24% charge, also the cash withdrawal.

I do trust to have been able to take away some doubts for our future guests.

Hospitable Regards,
NH Parque Central

Maurits M.X. Looijen
Director of Sales and Marketing

A TripAdvisor Member
United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2005

I am giving this hotel an excellent. After reading other reviews I was a bit dubious, i need not have been. It was great. Perfectly located for walking into the old town, or just sitting in the park opposite watching the world go by. It was near all the attractions, ie the Capitol Builing and not too far from all the plaza's. There is a handy supermarket across the road for buying bottles of water and ice-cream. We took a taxi to the hotel national and were so pleased we were not staying there. its not quite in the heart of it. We felt safe walking at night around the side streets finding little bars with super bands playing and enjoyed more than a few Cristal beers!

• Stayed: November 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 December 2005

Spent a week at this hotel in Nov 2005. Location can't be beaten, right on the edge of the old town. All the facilities you'd expect of a hotel of this size, and helpful & friendly staff. Good service on the reception desk. Rooms are a good size, and clean. Breakfast & bar menus were good too.

Avoid the rooms at the back of the hotel while the building works are going on - we spent our first two nights in a room at the back, and you can hear the noise through the double glazing unfortunately. However, the staff were very helpful in finding us a room at the front of the hotel for the rest of the stay. Would definitely go back there on a future trip to Havana - I'm rating it "excellent" as the building works are of course only temporary.

12  Thank Shefford