“Basic Hotel”

Ranked #67 of 79 Hotels in Havana
Slough, United Kingdom
“Basic Hotel”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good location as it is across rd from where sight seeing bus stops, near Paseo del Prado leading to Malecon and the lighthouse, near art museum and museum of revolution, near old town and around corner from Hemmingway bar Floridita .

My room was clean but furniture basic which didn't bother me as I was only here for 2 nights, shower was big and worked fine. However Air Con was noisy, and I could hear traffic from street in the morning despite windows/shutters closed.

Reception service was not great, it seemed like they didn't have enough staff serving at busy times despite other staff being in the office nearby. When i needed to call my rep as I couldn't find her as we'd agreed, I expected that the reception would know who the rep is as hotel has regular dealings with the company. Therefore I expected that they could telephone on my behalf as it was a local call, but instead I was told I had to go use their telephone office and call her myself where of course I was charged, I was silly to expect this basic service from a 3*.

When I checked out, I was just left standing at the reception for a long time, whilst they started to serve others although they had not acknowledged to me that my check out was complete. During this time, I had to ask 3 times what to do with my bag as I wanted to leave it with them for a few hrs before my transfer. I was told I needed to wait for bellboy who was no where to be seen, and eventually I just left the bag on the trolley in the lobby. I went out for about 4 hrs and when i returned my bag was still on the trolley in the lobby, it had not be secured in a storage room as I had assumed would happen once the bellboy arrived. I removed the bag myself unchallenged.

Breakfast was poor, coffee from the machine was undrinkable. Also the other machine always ran out of freshly squeezed juice. I never got to have bacon as it would run out and never be refilled. I would arrrive at breakfast usually 30 min to an hr after it opened so would expect food not to have run out already. However breakfast area had nice outdoor seating area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 141RichardM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Normally I'm not very critical and can usually find positive things to say about the faded old hotels where we have stayed but not on The Plaza apart from the central location and at first glance beautiful lobby and building. Our room smelled musty, all doors stuck and everything needed maintenance. There was a lot of noise from the street and the door to the balcony did not close properly.
The food was not good except for the bread and the breakfast buffet was a mess. There were two coffee machines which constantly were out of service. The elevator too was out of service so you had to use the almost unlit back stairs to get to the restaurant and nobody cared to turn on the light properly.
At the reception the staff was not helpful at all.
Havana is a wonderful city and I would very much like to return to but never Plaza again.
By the way be careful if you hire the drivers of the old American cars offering city tours next to the hotel. We had a very bad experience with one of them who at end of our tour suddenly demanded twice the price of what we had agreed upon and when we refused he was really nasty.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 10April

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

West Lafayette IN
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We did not choose this hotel but stayed here as part of a Cuba Explorer tour. It seemed that most of the guests were part of tour groups. We were a group of 17 and most people had traveled to places such as Africa, Cambodia, South America, etc. and for all of us this hotel was at the bottom of the list (to be fair, my 2 worst hotels were in the US). Everyone in the group had something wrong with their room and many switched rooms.

Positives:
1. Good location. All major sights in Old Havana were in walking distance. And it is next to the Iberostar Parque Central which has wifi, a pool, $25 massages, and a money exchange which they let you use some times and other times they say it is only for hotel guests.

2. The room and terrace where the breakfast is served was pleasant and the workers in the breakfast room worked very hard. Some of the food was a little unusual for breakfast (e.g., pasta, pumpkin, etc. ) and the meat and cheese slices weren't of the quality of European hotels.

3. The lobby was lovely and had lots of seating.

4. There was a table for booking tours and The Tropicana

5. Julio, the guy with the mojito cart in the lobby is very nice. His nephew Pedro is also a taxi driver so we arranged through Julio for Pedro to take us to the airport at 5 am. Both were reliable.

6. The elevator only broke once when we were there.

7. Our room was clean-ish. We got clean towels every day, the maid replenished soap (their soap was very harsh so we didn't use it) and toilet paper, and mopped the floor every day. The safe worked, we could get English news on the tv (picture was green though), the air conditioner was a noisy window unit but it cooled the room, the toilet ran constantly but it worked, and I only saw a couple small bugs in the room which was bad considering the balcony doors didn't shut.

8. Beds were comfortable though too small for two people. I think all the couples in our group were in rooms with two beds.

Negatives:
1. The water pressure in the shower was so weak I would have gotten wetter if someone had spit on me. The shower floor was also very slippery.

2. The advertised services rarely or never existed. They had computers in a room near the lobby, but never had internet cards. They had money for exchange the first day but when they ran out they never got more until the day that I had tried 6 times to change money and told them that.

3. All the rooms were musty (not surprising given the humidity) and our door only opened halfway because the door was so swollen.

4. Some rooms were tiny, some larger. Our room was on the Iberostar side of the building so we heard a band every night until about midnight. And then the help arrives very early and they yell at each other.

FYI:
Bring your own bathroom sink stopper and toiletries (not surprising).

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank azogal
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here at the beginning and end of a tour. Big room, comfortable beds, good towels, plenty of hot water in the big bathroom. Good breakfast buffet on the top (5th) floor, lots of food & drink options. Good views from the adjoining roof terrace. Short walk to shops, museums and main sights.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank johnfred4
Thalwil, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We liked the hotel with the breakfast buffet very much, although the room to the street was quite loud during the nights. The view from the top is great, the hotel is charming and the location in the middle of Havana is perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Merida, Mexico
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This hotel was not what we had originally booked, but Havana Tours moved us 48 hours before our departure to this one a block away. It is indeed a tired hotel! Our first impression because of the beautiful lobby was that this would be a very good place. Our impression quickly changed when we were told that they did not accept ANY charge cards and because of the hour of our arrival (630 PM), the exchange desk was closed so we could not exchange any money. We had no CUC and they don't allow charges to the room!!!

Our room on the fourth floor was adequate. The elevators were very unreliable during our 4 night stay! My friends got locked in one for 15 minutes one night.

The breakfast terrible has great potential. Arrive early, as they run out of silverware (I am not kidding). The buffet was extensive but not very tempting....with too many breads. Well at least breakfast was included in the price we paid...the coffee was drinkable.

Dinner on the upper terrace was buffet style and only OK....we chose to eat out three nights and skipped the inclusive dinner as well.

It does have a great location ifyou can overlook the dining area, reception and elevators.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
East Sussex
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was worried as couldnt find this hotel on any map or guidebook and we had 3 nights booked as part of a group tour so had to stay here. First impression from the reception were good - furniture a bit tired but not as bad as i was expecting -- we stayed on the 2nd floor the first time and 4th floor the second time - the rooms are a decent size but definitely needs some re-investment its nearly £87 a night so not cheap. The rooms are all noisy from what I can tell - you feel like you are in picadilly circus buses honking all night traffic street noise all ensures your sleep is disturbed - stick the aircon on and it drowns the noise out. Hot water and the breakfast is nothing special but great roof terrace over looking the main calle where all the old cars parade down and the Bacardi building towers over you so not a bad spot but We preferred being in Vieja Havana in the pedestrian areas.

Room Tip: Try the 4th floor to get a bit higher up Room 400 has a view opposite the Barcardi building and slig...