“Excellent location”
Review of Hotel Plaza

Hotel Plaza
Ranked #68 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here at the beginning and end of an organised tour with Explore!. The hotel was relatively nice, but apparently the rooms were variable. The two different rooms we stayed in were clean and tidy but were basic (that’s OK, we didn’t pay for 5-star). In one room the shower curtain was not attached to the wall, merely balanced on the tile edges, which wasn’t noticed until my friend opened it a bit too vigorously to a tremendous crash. The hot tap in the shower also conducted heat so you had to be careful turning it off, but on the plus side, there was always plenty of hot water at a decent pressure. Both rooms had a fridge, a safe and an aircon unit (albeit a very loud one).
Breakfast was a good buffet, plenty of choice and on the roof terrace providing a lovely view of Havana in the morning. Don’t expect good coffee.
The bell boy works on Cuban time, being difficult to locate at short notice. The left luggage facility was very secure and useful as out flight out wasn’t until 9pm and we didn’t want to drag the cases around all day.
The main positive about this hotel is its location. It is ideally located near Parc Central, so a lot of the main things to see are in easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Be advised people are currently (as of May14) renovating the opposite building on San Juan de Dios a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here as part of a tour group at the start and end of our tour. This hotel seems to be used a lot by tour groups so is very busy on weekends (start and end days of tours). I had low expectations because of the other reviews and was pleasantly surprised.

The lobby is beautifuly decorated and is always busy - it is a nice place to sit and people watch for a little while. After 4pm, a mojito cart is set up in the lobby, or you can also enjoy drinks on the rooftop terrace. Breakfast is also on the rooftop. The hotel has an arrangement with the nearby Parque Central hotel to use their swimming pool, but we didn't have time to take advantage of that.

Both times, we had hotel rooms on the inside of the building, so noise was not a problem. The rooms were large and clean. They appear to be doing some renovations - our room on the 3rd floor at the beginning of the stay, was much nicer than our room on the 2nd floor at the end of our stay. The room at the end of our stay also had a missing doorknob on the bathroom door, so you couldn't fully close it.

The breakfast buffet was fine - a variety of foods (including pasta), and made-to-order omelets were available.

Room Tip: A room facing the inside is less noisy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maplegreen
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hotel is well located and seconds from the streets that take you onto old havana and el prado. with so many good casas to stay in around the area there is no need to stay here. it has a cool bar, and nice drinks, the worst hotel restaurant I came across in Cuba and apart from a great shower, the rooms were uncomfortable. the cheapest and most basic casa i stayed in was superior to this place which we had to stay in for a night as it was part of a tour. I could not wait to get out and this place is so over priced for what you get that you would be mad to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed in the hotel for four nights, two spells of two nights at the beginning and end of a group tour.

First spell was in a single room on the 4th floor and second spell was in a twin room on the third floor. The furnishings and décor in both rooms were a bit tired but they were clean. Found the air conditioning worked well, the rooms were quiet and I slept well all four nights. There were small "mini bar" fridges in the rooms which were handy if you wanted to ensure your bottled water stayed cool.

As someone has already stated the room doors can be a bit "sticky", two of our group couldn't get back into their room and had to wait an hour before they could get in.

You have to have some patience especially dealing with the reception staff and the bar staff can be slow as well.

The public areas are quite impressive to look at and the hotel is in an excellent location for exploring Havana on foot.

The best part of the hotel is the rooftop restaurant, you can sit inside or outside. This is where you have breakfast in the morning. It starts at 7am and if you go up then you will avoid the crowds. There is a reasonable selection of food, liked the fact that they had fresh fruit. Best part was that omelettes and fried eggs were cooked to order. Juice machine a bit temperamental and coffee not great but they do have tea and other infusions. During the rest of the day and evening it is possible to go up onto the rooftop and take in the views. If the rooftop bar is closed they will let you take your drinks up from the main bar onto the rooftop. Great place to relax and take in the views over the city

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms overlooking the main road as they can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dennis P
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good location as it is across rd from where sight seeing bus stops, near Paseo del Prado leading to Malecon and the lighthouse, near art museum and museum of revolution, near old town and around corner from Hemmingway bar Floridita .

My room was clean but furniture basic which didn't bother me as I was only here for 2 nights, shower was big and worked fine. However Air Con was noisy, and I could hear traffic from street in the morning despite windows/shutters closed.

Reception service was not great, it seemed like they didn't have enough staff serving at busy times despite other staff being in the office nearby. When i needed to call my rep as I couldn't find her as we'd agreed, I expected that the reception would know who the rep is as hotel has regular dealings with the company. Therefore I expected that they could telephone on my behalf as it was a local call, but instead I was told I had to go use their telephone office and call her myself where of course I was charged, I was silly to expect this basic service from a 3*.

When I checked out, I was just left standing at the reception for a long time, whilst they started to serve others although they had not acknowledged to me that my check out was complete. During this time, I had to ask 3 times what to do with my bag as I wanted to leave it with them for a few hrs before my transfer. I was told I needed to wait for bellboy who was no where to be seen, and eventually I just left the bag on the trolley in the lobby. I went out for about 4 hrs and when i returned my bag was still on the trolley in the lobby, it had not be secured in a storage room as I had assumed would happen once the bellboy arrived. I removed the bag myself unchallenged.

Breakfast was poor, coffee from the machine was undrinkable. Also the other machine always ran out of freshly squeezed juice. I never got to have bacon as it would run out and never be refilled. I would arrrive at breakfast usually 30 min to an hr after it opened so would expect food not to have run out already. However breakfast area had nice outdoor seating area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 141RichardM
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Normally I'm not very critical and can usually find positive things to say about the faded old hotels where we have stayed but not on The Plaza apart from the central location and at first glance beautiful lobby and building. Our room smelled musty, all doors stuck and everything needed maintenance. There was a lot of noise from the street and the door to the balcony did not close properly.
The food was not good except for the bread and the breakfast buffet was a mess. There were two coffee machines which constantly were out of service. The elevator too was out of service so you had to use the almost unlit back stairs to get to the restaurant and nobody cared to turn on the light properly.
At the reception the staff was not helpful at all.
Havana is a wonderful city and I would very much like to return to but never Plaza again.
By the way be careful if you hire the drivers of the old American cars offering city tours next to the hotel. We had a very bad experience with one of them who at end of our tour suddenly demanded twice the price of what we had agreed upon and when we refused he was really nasty.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 10April
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We did not choose this hotel but stayed here as part of a Cuba Explorer tour. It seemed that most of the guests were part of tour groups. We were a group of 17 and most people had traveled to places such as Africa, Cambodia, South America, etc. and for all of us this hotel was at the bottom of the list (to be fair, my 2 worst hotels were in the US). Everyone in the group had something wrong with their room and many switched rooms.

Positives:
1. Good location. All major sights in Old Havana were in walking distance. And it is next to the Iberostar Parque Central which has wifi, a pool, $25 massages, and a money exchange which they let you use some times and other times they say it is only for hotel guests.

2. The room and terrace where the breakfast is served was pleasant and the workers in the breakfast room worked very hard. Some of the food was a little unusual for breakfast (e.g., pasta, pumpkin, etc. ) and the meat and cheese slices weren't of the quality of European hotels.

3. The lobby was lovely and had lots of seating.

4. There was a table for booking tours and The Tropicana

5. Julio, the guy with the mojito cart in the lobby is very nice. His nephew Pedro is also a taxi driver so we arranged through Julio for Pedro to take us to the airport at 5 am. Both were reliable.

6. The elevator only broke once when we were there.

7. Our room was clean-ish. We got clean towels every day, the maid replenished soap (their soap was very harsh so we didn't use it) and toilet paper, and mopped the floor every day. The safe worked, we could get English news on the tv (picture was green though), the air conditioner was a noisy window unit but it cooled the room, the toilet ran constantly but it worked, and I only saw a couple small bugs in the room which was bad considering the balcony doors didn't shut.

8. Beds were comfortable though too small for two people. I think all the couples in our group were in rooms with two beds.

Negatives:
1. The water pressure in the shower was so weak I would have gotten wetter if someone had spit on me. The shower floor was also very slippery.

2. The advertised services rarely or never existed. They had computers in a room near the lobby, but never had internet cards. They had money for exchange the first day but when they ran out they never got more until the day that I had tried 6 times to change money and told them that.

3. All the rooms were musty (not surprising given the humidity) and our door only opened halfway because the door was so swollen.

4. Some rooms were tiny, some larger. Our room was on the Iberostar side of the building so we heard a band every night until about midnight. And then the help arrives very early and they yell at each other.

FYI:
Bring your own bathroom sink stopper and toiletries (not surprising).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple