“The Full Havana Experience”
Review of Hotel Plaza

Hotel Plaza
Ranked #67 of 79 Hotels in Havana
Burlington, Vermont
“The Full Havana Experience”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at the Plaza on the 4th floor for one week in June, 2014. The lobby and common areas are beautiful, the room, not so much. When I entered my room I laughed out loud. The room was taller than it was wide and contained a rickety rocking chair, table and bed that had been painted black. the bed was barely 6 inches off the floor and contained a well used, concave mattress. The bathroom was dreadful, although there was a toilet seat (friends had warned I might not get one). The toilet paper could have been used in an adding machine and the soap was a circular blob of gray matter. The shower head flew off when I turned the shower on. The tile was cracked and several ominous holes led through the lathe behind the wall. There was a safe that operates via the room key. The housekeeper has the same key, and helped herself to $60 from my cash envelope the day after I checked in. On the second night I was greeted by the largest bug I had ever seen on the sink in the bathroom. On the third night I met his brother in the same location. I figured they were coming from the drain of the sink and used the gray soap to block it. No more bugs after that. On the first night there the waiter in the bar charged me for 15 beers (I had 3), saying "your friends left without paying." He dutifully showed me 15 tick marks on a piece of scrap paper. I said we would call my friends who had just gone to their rooms, but another friend suggested we just pay the bill (15 beers = $30) rather than make a scene. The day bartender admitted that this was a common rouse, and suggested we pay as we go when drinking at the Plaza bar. The WiFi did not work during the week I was there. The breakfast buffet was good, although you had to suspend belief that the same bugs that had access to the rooms could also access the kitchen.

Although the hotel was pretty dreadful by US standards, it was well located right off the Prado with easy access to the rest of the city. I had a memorable time in Havana, and I have chalked up my experience at the Plaza as pat of the overall cultural immersion. The people were friendly, the city was safe and I imagine that the people at the Plaza are doing the best that they can, given the circumstances. I imagine that my $60 went a long way in Cuba's economy for the family of the housekeeper (or manager, valet or whoever else had access to my safe).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bill J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights in July. Having just arrived to Havana and Cuba for the first time, I was a bit disconcerted by the not too good condition of the room. Clean it seemed, but otherwise very worn-out and tired. I decided to stay there as little as possible. Now I am aware that better and quieter rooms are available also, so next time wiser then!

However, there were plenty to thank for. The breakfast was served on the top of the hotel, outdoors if you so wish, with a view over Havana. Same top floor changed to a lively “salsa-club” in the evenings. Lobby was almost glamorous, cafeteria open for 24 hours and served a decent café cortado. Personnel were happy and ready to please you.

Finally, the best thing about this hotel is the location. You are stone throw away from the old town, which is so beautiful and full of exciting things to explore.

If you are person, who wants to spend time in the room, do not book this hotel. But if you want to experience the old glamour of Havana and be out and about most of the time, you might consider this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Arja B
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Reading some of the reviews we were fearing the worst but in fact the Plaza was great. It's not the best hotel in Cuba but neither were we paying for the best - it's in fact one of the oldest and is nicely situated. Our room was large and more than adequately furnished - the lobby area is welcoming and relatively plush, the roof top terrace is a great place for breakfast and a drink. Breakfast is buffet style and should accommodate most people's taste - we found the pastries amazing. The hotel is not without it's faults - some had intermittent water problems, although we didn't, and our suitcases went missing for a short time but overall we were positively surprised and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank bay-back
New Orleans
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was put into this hotel not by choice but because my choices of hotels were full. When I read the reviews on Tripadvisor I was quite leary and worried that it would be dreadful. The hotel is old and shows some wear like most things in Cuba but the people and the view make up for any of its shortcomings. It could be cleaner. As far as the noise that other reviews complained about it really was no worse than any other hotel located in a big city. For the most part the people were wonderful and extremely helpful. I would definitely stay there again. The view was awesome. I didn't ever eat there except for breakfast which is like most breakfast in Cuba.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor facing out
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank gozzi
London
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Don't let the swanky lobby fool you: this place is falling apart. Stayed here twice as part of a tour group. Dirty, unloved rooms, surly staff and horrendous food. All this for the bargain price of 130CUC a double. Save your money and stay in a Casa instead. Bigger, cleaner rooms, better food and less than a quarter of the price.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here: reserve a casa instead
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SteeeeeveLondon

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Better staying across the road. Its okay here as water runs in shower mostly hot, good location. But no working internet, no receipt with money exchange, only one working lift for guests, breakfast ran out of plates and cutlery. Nice views from dining area. We had an evening meal but the band was so noisy we had to pay them to stop for an hour. Many groups of young Canadians. Some nice reception staff. Avoid is my recommendation.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank andy_scot_uk
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

have stayed there several times, great location, decent breakfast , restaurant in lobby is open 24 hr. I have stayed in the room right above the main entrance .which was the room the legendary "Babe Ruth" stayed in, when in Havana. Great
pictures of him on the wall

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple