“Forget it”

Hotel Neptuno-Triton
Ranked #79 of 81 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Lifts didn't work, the breakfast was inedible and reception tried to get us to pay again, a horror from Soviet times, and expensive to get to an interesting part of town. In contrast to this the rest of Cuba was magical.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank nostawhtebazile

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I book what I hoped would be the 'Holiday of a Lifetime.' Friends were living in Cuba and encouraged me to come and visit. (I booked a hotel as part of the flight package as they did not have room in their own home to put me up.) I spent as LITTLE TIME AS POSSIBLE in this out dated and run down hotel. I was shocked that the HOTEL SECURITY - (who are on the front door 24x7) would not allow my Cuban friends over the threshold??? The hotel experience itself - I reported to Reception that the fridge in my room was not working (I at least wanted some cool water to drink in this very humid climate.) It took at least 3 days and I was only there for 10. On arrival (in the middle of the night, and something which the hotel should be used to being a partner of 'Iberostar Holidays'), did not provide adequate food options. The pool looked OK, but as I was there out of season, no one was using it. I cannot remember about the lifts particularly, and even though I had a 'sea view', I did not like the over all ambience of the hotel to stay long enough on the balcony to comment (I think I remember it was very windy so infact did not open the doors much!) The cleaning standards were OK. But I did not really need them as I only used this place to sleep. (That was sort of OK - as I used ear plugs to keep out the whilsting noise from the ill fitting balcony doors.) I am sad to say that much of the area I stayed in (and Havana centro itself), were very run down and IMO you have to have a very strong mind to over look the fact that you are in a virtually a 3rd world country. (I won't talk about the contstant begging, only to say it reminded me of the desperation of Morocco.) PS - I am not a 5 star gal, and don't mind roughing it. But for all the hype, Cuba does not live up to the mark. :(

Room Tip: None... all are likely to be in a run down /out dated state!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I just came back from Cuba, having stayed in Hotel Triton (the one next to Melia Habana). I stayed there on 3 separate occasions between 7th April and 23rd April.

IF you are one budget traveller who simply need the basics, at EURO 25 per night which I booked,
This is a first class bargain ! I got all I need: a cleanish functioning room with air-con, hot water, cable tv, plus a simple no frills breakfast. Who cares about worn out cupboards, slightly torn curtains (so long as you are she'd from the morning sun !).

But the sea view is TO DIE FOR : a full spectacular view overlooking the Gulf of Florida ! I missed the countless occasions I watched the setting sun from my room's balcony. No need to go to the Malecon !

Within the vicinity of this hotel in Miramer, you have a shopping arcade with a bank, several car rental companies to choose from, cafeterias. If you relish good food, just head to Melia Habana next door.
One big plus; this is a super safe area since it is nested within the embassy district. I went jogging the very morning I arrived and immediately felt at home ! The police and security are at every corner of the roads.

While it cost CUC$10 to cab down to Central Havana, this cheap hotel is for those who like a quieter area. I'd also spent a night in a casa in old Havana during my 9 day drive tour around the country. I'm just so glad I picked Triton out of the blue before I came to Cuba.

So please read the other previous review in perspective: if you simply desire bed and breakfast place which is compensated by it being in an amenities friendly area, coupled finally with very friendly staff, the Triton is one worth considering.....

The Triton staff are very friendly and accommodating. No bad experience really !

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Eric K
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I did stay in Neptun-Triton for two weeks. I can't remember was the left building called Neptun or Triton. But how ever. The rooms are much never and better quality in the left buildins. So try to get a room from there. Building on the right side seems like older and the elevators were pretty crappy in there also.
I did stay my first week on the right side building and second on the left side.
Buffet is on the left side building and thats why left side is much better option also.

I had 3 meals for two weeks. Breakfest was good. I like the pancakes, syrup and coffee. Also they have a guy making omelets sometimes too :)

At lunch or supper. I recommend choosing steak instead of chicken or pork. I liked their steak.
Pork was also good at the hotels buffet. Only thing that I didn't like was that food was pretty much same every day.

Rooms had ac, fridge, balcony, phone (free incoming calls), internet downstairs 3 cup 30min. At the hotel nearby (marimer) has a wifi for 8 cuk hour.
Hotel pool was nice too and you can buy some tasty pizza (3-5 cuk) or beer (1,5cuk) from the pool.

Not much to do near the hotel. There is a supermarket nearby (400meters) and the beach is not so clean near the hotel.

Also tour busses go to the centum near the hotel 5 cuk.

Taxi to centrum should be under 5 cuk always! They ask 10 cuk. I usually paid 3-5 cuk. My Cuban friend got us to centrum paying 1 cuk each.

Also they had a party at the hotel pool usually once a week.

Staff was ok. Some were friendly and some were not so. But overall OK :)

Room Tip: Choose a room from the left building and maybe not the highest floor because elevators don't alw...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank FINLAND-FINLAND
Reviewed 4 December 2011

My friends and I recently visited this hotel on a Thompson Excusion to Havana from Varadero. It is truly awful i would advise any against staying here. When we went up to the room on the 17th floor in the cranky lift the room was more like 200 years old not 20. I looked up out of the window and saw the balcony above crumbling needless to say i didnt step out.
Back in the lobby on the old dated chairs, and there was a stary dog attempting to come into the hotel. At this point the 'Flash Gordon' them tune came on the music system at which point i couldnt hep but burst out laughing and find the whole thing amusing.
On the plus side 1 Peso for a beer softened the experience.
I pitty the poor staff who have to work in this hotel.

Room Tip: Find a room in another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank timmyYorkshire
Reviewed 19 August 2011

this is the most horrible hotel than i was in my life and we pay very good monet for go there and the holliday was overaatei will dont say nothing just look the pictures is a little pice of bat things than you will get there also the staff very unhelpfull no no very bad soo bad is a shime...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank EDGAR S
Reviewed 23 June 2011

there was nothing good, service, location. the old hotel regardless if you play in a top floor had to wait 15 minutes for the elevator, the pool closed
horrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!