“Just say NO”

Ranked #55 of 78 Hotels in Havana
Heredia, Costa Rica
“Just say NO”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

My family and I just stayed at this hotel last week for a three-day stay. When we arrived, there were old cigarette butts and piles of long black hair along each wall of our room. Mold covered the bathroom door. Maids bursted into our room without knocking, and since there were no actual locks on the door (only the key card slot worked), this happened every single morning. When I politely asked a maid to sweep the cigarette butts in the room, she came in, cleaned a small two-foot area, pushed the hair against the wall with a mop, and promptly returned to her never-ending smoke break outside our room.

I have stayed in plenty of hostels and dirty, run-down places don't scare me. Especially when they don't cost a lot. However, this hotel was definitely overpriced and I will never stay there again. Find a better hotel, or better yet, stay with a family and give your money to them. The Club Atlantico hotel does not deserve it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Customer

It's a shame that our hotel did not meet your expectations . It is true that the big hotel's proximity to the sea we are greatly affected by salt , moisture and a large deterioration in our hotel industry however this does not intervene in our staff of their best daily to maintain a blameless .

Each room has full security and the card slot is called as you call lock which provides a 100% safety guaranteed. By Cuban standards of hospitality in Cuba every room has a "Do Not Disturb " to be used in case you do not want to be interrupted and every janitor holds behavior and education that allow workers will be knocking on the door Tourism before entering to perform services in the event of not being located the "Do Not Disturb " . However, there are opinions that are in mistake with what you expressed about personal hygiene and our installation meeting reflected in this website. Cleaning and sanitizing is done under strict control having qualified for this job with long years of experience and monitoring is performed by directors , chief housekeeper and the quality department staff.

It's a shame that you carry this impression because our customers are all important and we work daily in personal satisfaction. A public relations department and quality available to address any concerns you may generate discomfort or malaise our guests .

Director General

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I have been to hotel Atlantic twice and loved it! Met awesome people and the staff is amazing! All of them! The nurse is so helpful and caring, the entertainment staff are eager and positive and the restaurant/bar staff are lovely! The waitress that the al carte restaurant is incredible! As a server in Toronto, this girl is like awesome! The shuttle is great, but again you will be bombarded by all kinds of offers not only leaving the bus, but as someone who likes to sit on a bench and soak it all in, it's pretty obvious to Cubans who is a tourist. the beach is great: safe! And beautiful! The food is also good! Find the things you like! I was never awake early enough for breakfast but lunch and dinner were good! Remember, you're in Cuba! They don't have the luxury of globalization! So either spend 1000 more dollars and go to a tropical 3rd world country that is controlled by the USA that will have the fine linens, decor and food you desire or experience the unique beauty that is Cuba! Embrace it! Complaining is just taking away from having an amazing time in such a unique and special place!

Mucho mucho!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
15 Thank Heather B
Infodireccion, Gestion de calidad at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear customer:

It is a pleasure to receive your assessment of the facility and stay that way with the entire staff. We welcome your comments and we know that magnifies your holidays in this simple but cozy place meet your expectations. We work on the continuous improvement of our staff, we seek comfort for our customers either in the maintenance, cleanliness, good service in our bars and restaurant and the quality of our product and others to ensure our customers deserved instance by choosing us.

It is true that reading a positive view of our facility enhances our staff was able to perceive and articulate each of the services provided describing pleasantly and providing certain information to our future that are reported by travelers to choose their holiday TRIPADVISOR do that we remain eternally grateful to his sincerity, naturalness and confidence for the Hotel Atlantico.

We welcome your comments and we would be very happy to receive again. At your disposal are left.

Regards

Nielenys Zúñiga
Gestion de calidad
Hope, BC, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We came to the Atlantico last year for the first time to celebrate my birthday and wished to return at the same time this year. In my last review I mentioned how much we enjoyed our stay and the excellent service by all the staff.

Last year we stayed on the third floor in the building above the store. Odd number rooms have the ocean view and quiet street. We had sent an email to Dayme Rodrigues requesting if possible the same room. He replied immediately welcoming us back and would try to acomodate us per our request. Upon arrival the front desk receptionist had received our request but unfortunately the room was occupied but would be available in a few days if we wished. She gave us a room a couple doors down with exactly the same decor and view which we were quite happy with and did not move. We appreciated it very much that Dayme was so helpful in trying to acomodate our request. We were very impressed with this service.

We were happy to see all the staff in the dining room and bartenders that we became aquainted with on our last visit. Graciela, Jose and Submey greeted us warmly. Miguel our favorite bartender was always happy to make us a cuppocino. Liuba, our energetic and lively social organizer was always trying to get everyone to join a salsa class and bingo. She was also busy every evening letting all the guest know about the nightly entertainment which we always enjoyed.

On my birthday, Jose presented me with a Birthday cake and a bottle of our favorite red wine. There was often a music band playing in the dining room at Lunch and Dinner and at times we would dance with Graciela which was a lot of fun and everyone joined in.

Once again we took the Shuttle almost every day on our two week stay, except on Thursdays when the shuttle only goes to Havana in the afternoon. On that day we would walk the amazingly beautiful Playa Del Este to the town of Guanabo where one can spend
a lazy afternoon of sightseeing with good restaurants and outdoor bars for a cold beer.

Our beach in front of the Hotel was kept clean, with lots of security. There was always a staff member ready with a wisk broom to clean off a chair or move it where ever we wanted it. A safe place to swim in the ocean and the water a nice temperature.

Last year I had a massage by Fidel which was very good. I was happy to see that he was still at the Hotel and booked a massage each afternoon for our entire stay except Sunday his day off. I booked a 20 minute partial therapeudic massage for 5cuc's and a great bargain for the massage he gives. I hope that I will see him when we return next year.

Last year we enjoyed the fish dinners very much but not so much this year. The small little tuna they had often were not to our taste and were disappointed that it was not the same. I have never had an allergy in my life but after eating fish for a few days I developed a severe reaction with rash all over my body. A nurse at the hotel was very helpful with an injection of antihistamine and tablets along with cortisone cream which improved it after a week. She would check with me every day to see how I am coming along. The entire staff in Hotel is very helpful.

Last year on the third floor we had a lovely chambermaid named Marta but she was working the other side of the floor. She was very happy to see us and when I had some chewing gum stuck to my black capris that some kid attached to a chair in the dining room, she took care of it for me, and was just like new. Our chambermaid this year was Naiby also very helpful and always willing to please. The room was kept clean and always ready for us when we arrived from our Havana trip at 1:30pm.

The Hotel was fully occupied which indicates that this is a very good place to stay and will certainly be back in the future. Except I might mention that we won't be flying with Sunwing any time soon.

Room Tip: A room in the building above the store on the higher floors in odd number rooms which gives you an o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Roa3
Dear customer:

We appreciate that you send us your opinion and experience in the period in which they stay at our facility. Indeed as you we mentioned we are a country that carefully takes care of hygiene, maintaining strict control over the washing and sanitizing of all meat, fish and vegetables, making by our doctors daily sampling of food a day to maintain good health of our customers and our reputation. The management is proud that her trip to Spain and the Atlantic Hotel has been great and we've entered your preference list their views on the professionalism of our staff to all workers in the Hotel I communicate.

Work looking for the satisfaction of our customers so we serve and prioritize feedback we receive on TRIPADVISOR . Thanks for your time sending us your so positive about our services valuation.

Regards

ottawa, canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Will never fly on Sunwing again as they have rearranged the seats so that they can seat more passengers; sardine can style. That is my only complaint. My knees were in contact with the seat ahead. Cannot help being in close touch contact with the persons beside you. I strongly suggest an aisle seat. I want to return to this hotel but will find a flight to Havana instead of Varadero via another airline. This is also a much shorter ride to the hotel, approx. 40 minutes instead of 1.5 hours.. The Cuban food at the Tropicoco Hotel is better.. Never got sick until I ate what they said was "Smoked Meat" sandwich on the return flight to Ottawa; spent a couple of days not venturing too far from my home.. They do charge 2 CUC per day for the safe in the room; so what? No bugs or mosquitos around. The hotel sits on the most beautiful beach. Site was chosen by Batista in 1954 and used by him as part of the Bank of Cuba where he and his cronies enjoyed the best beach in Havana. The addition to the original was built in 1974. Very high Security around the whole area as the Cuban Govt. made a clean sweep lately due to some Tourist's complaints about too many "Chicas" They even have National Police patrolling the beaches. Best part is the daily bus transportation to Havana/return, twice a day - free.
Great Havana Night shows at the hotel, twice a week. Excellent singers and dancers, however, only recorded and not live music. Local musicians moving around the area. All staff at the hotel were great. As in Canada, a little tip is encouraging for them as their wages are not to our standards. The two women at the poolside bar were great also; one CUC creates a smile.
Music is the history of Cuba. Cuban music makes you want to live. Helps them with the USA Blockade problems.

Room Tip: No elevators!! Three floors. Great exercise going up and down. No need to use exercise room. Try...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank judoxca
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Customer :

We welcome your feedback and have been pleased with the services offered by the facility. We have passed your comment about the Cuba trip Sunwing in, they accept and value each criterion which airs on the service, and we know what will be considered.
We appreciate your stay has been a good opinion about the staff and look forward to being your preference.

Greetings and see you soon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I've been meaning to write this review for a year. We really enjoyed our stay at the Atlantico. The beach was fantastic and the rooms and food were fine. It's actually a lovely resort but like many places in Cuba - it could just use a little tlc. I stayed at a 4 star in Varadero and the food was only slightly better. Obviously it is not the Hilton but we found it to be clean and comfortable. The staff were all pleasant.

The best thing though is the bus to Havana they run. If you love art and culture - the city is incredible. It really makes for a well balanced vacation!

If you like to party - the hotel is pretty quiet after 10pm. We went to Havana once at night and it was great - but when we went to a club later in the evening - we were pretty shocked by the sex trade goings on. Despite this - I'm sure there is a ton of great spots we didn't have a chance to hit.

All in all, much more fun than the isolated mega resort complexes and more economical.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly N
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Customer

It is a pleasure to receive your feedback and thank on behalf of the direction it has taken some time to convey his personal opinion about the services provided by the facility, experience and assessment is vital to improve our services and achieve customer satisfaction.
All opinions are taken into account and are transmitted to the agencies and companies that assist them.

We are available

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Sunwing flights were on-time both ways and Sunwing reps were always there at the airport.

But to the hotel - we went 1 year ago and again last week. There has been significant improvement in the upkeep, gardening and painting of buidlings and rooms. Ours was freshly painted, clean and comfortable. It clearly is a 3 Star.

Food is plentiful and lots of fish, chicken,vegtables and fruit - plus always a 2nd choice. Our only complaint (as last year) was that they keep running out of Red Wine. They have now entertainment in the main dining room for lunch and supper.We always tried to get Graceiela as our server as she is accomodating and pleasant. Our table was waiting and drinks were there. The much maligned pool ladies were great - not mean or grouchy. The pool was used by many and was always clean.

In the evening many of the servers dance to the music and it is delightful.Tipping is respectful (given the average wage) but many don't as Europeans assume that it is included as it is in the EU.

The Internet access is often down and needs to be upgraded to high-speed but 6 CVs/hour is not too bad. 2 CV for the safety deposit box is a tad high.

Regardless, we will go back again next year for 2 weeks.

Room Tip: Try the 2nd floor = easier access.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JohannOttawa
Dear Customer
We appreciate your stay in our installation has been satisfactory and that the jobs that have been made at the hotel to be recognized by our customers. Since late 2013 we are focused on improving our products and services and we are currently engaged in repair of our rooms, modification of all our cuisine and many other things with which we hope to improve our product and services to our customers.

Thanks for your time sending us your about price / quality rating.

Thunder Bay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel (don't get this confused with the Aparthotel with same name...) from 18 Feb 2014 until 25 Feb 2014.
I'll go step by step of experience...

Check in/and reception- no problems there, lady was good there, but there's a surprise that Sunwing or travel agent doesn't tell you: if you want to use the in-room safe, you have to pay 2 peso's per day to use it, cash up front! No real problems if you go to the reception for a question or money exchange. It's in the typical Cuban fashion... when they're done with their conversation, they'll ask what you need...

Rooms: regular standard room, nothing fancy. For those who haven't travelled to Cuba before 99% of stuff is dated, but everything worked, and we always had hot water. One can't be too picky down there. I was concerned about 2 things: bugs and hot water. No bed bugs, and always hot water. Maids were great, very friendly and accommodating.

Food: smaller dining area, but never had to wait for a seat. No real complaints about food. Ok selection, never got sick. The service in the a la Carte was good, and the food was good too, BUT the service in the main buffet had something to be desired. Almost every meal I was left to try and find cutlery because the waiters would clear the tables, but not replacing cutlery etc. They'll grab you a coffee, but if you don't tip, good luck getting another one from them....
The only real complaint I have instead of the pissy stuff is the table cloths...most often had dirty food all over them from previous meals...often from days ago.

Bars: Lobby bar - 'tenders always great, very friendly!!!

Piano bar - saw it open only once in a week, but never went, so can't comment.

.BUT the Pool Bar...well, that's another story! Saw 2 ladies there working (opposite of each other), each with the personality of a bag of hammers. You tip, or don't tip, you get the same service....a scowl and sloooooow. Ask for something other than a beer or a Cuba Libre and it's a chore. I witnessed the tender say there was no Mojito's to a guy, but 2 minutes later a lady came up (who was a tipper) and she got one!
They'll move at the same pace....slow....it was very busy, lady just had her back to everybody, and the poor animation / entertainment guy stepped in to serve people while she was staring at some hamburgers on the grill for a while!

Pool: not used too much by people, mainly used by kids. Looked clean, except sand, but guess what, that stuff is everywhere!

Beach: beautiful....duh! would be nice to see extra grounds people once a day picking up garbage......it is a PUBLIC beach, so it is NOT the fault of the hotel. BUT it would look nicer for the hotel if it was done. Beach attendants / lifeguards were fantastic, always there to help, and get you chairs and an umbrella anywhere you want it.

Entertainment: Daytime staff fantastic! Always have stuff on the go, and if it gets slow, they go talk to the guests and make them feel welcome. Great people!
Evening entertainment - good, normal Cuban fashion dancing etc etc. good hang out in evening

General: there's a little shop for trinkets, smokes, booze, etc etc, people there great. Grounds are in good order, maintenance and security friendly. There's a hallway lounge area between lobby and rooms, nice spot for a cigar/cigarette and relax with a drink, BUT it would be nice if the cushions were replaced or doubled...hard as rock! Only comfortable if you're drunk, LOL.

All in all, it wasn't a waste of money, but I just don't understand why it was so expensive. I paid the same money for a semi-modern resort in Varadero and got way more. You'll get better value if you were to go up the street to the Tropicoco. I'll go back to Atlantico only if the price is right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Shawn W
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest:

I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations and appreciate your comments on the negatives he found, they alert us to pay more attention.
The menu offered in the buffet restaurant is governed by the standards of HOLA CLUB 3 star Hotel. Has choice of chicken, pork, fish and beef all week being cooked in various ways. However we have made ​​a number of modifications including 2 themed nights (Dinner Italian Dinner and International) hope that will please customers who visit us.
We are focused to improve our products, we are currently engaged in repair of our rooms, changing room furniture and curtains and decorate tables with which we hope to improve gaining comfort and satisfaction for our guests.

We deeply regret that your stay was not completely satisfying.

Complejo Atlántico Villa los Pinos