“Thieves”

Sercotel Hotel Caribbean
Ranked #605 of 687 Havana B&B and Inns
“Thieves”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

You pay for the room safe and sign a document saying they are not responsible for theft. And then they just take your money from the safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do not leave any valuables.
I would not recommend this hotel as the service for breakfast was the grumpiest old woman and the manager was a greasy guy who we know took our $210 cdn
No shower head! No hot water, fact one day no water period.

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank Carolyndav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Awful. Cost us about $80 for double room and was one of the worst hotels i've ever seen. And I saw a lot,travelling around thirld world. It just doesnt worth it booking a hotel in Havana. Better walk 300-500m from this place to old Havana area and get a Casa Particular for $25-35. You'll get bigger room, functioning air condition and less security risks.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

4 Thank Alexander S

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Caribbean. the staff were friendly, although sometimes a bit tired as mostly they work 12 hours straight. They are very adaptive to requests, helped me switch rooms when my toilet wasn't working, and helped me experience Havana. Many of the issues are unrelated to the hotel, but Havana and Cuba as a whole.

There are many very nice hotels closer to Old Havana, where you'd almost not notice that you're in a country where people go without many conveniences that we take for granted in Canada. The Hotel Caribbean is not one of those places. your toilet may not work, there may not be toilet paper in the bar bathroom, the power may go out for a few hours on one of the days of your stay, the internet server may be completely down. But if you want to experience Havana, I'd recommend this Hotel. And I will stay there again if I go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Kristin J
North Bergen, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel in Jan 2013 and had a great time, floor 5 housekeeper was barbara, great service no problems(hence the good review I gave it at that time)

I came back in June 2013, and this is when the nightmare happend, front staff is nice, security is nice (locals are not permitted upstairs without clearance), I kept my valuables in the room safe passport w/ departure tax, documents, car keys, and cash (I was going for a week, brought adequate cash for the time I was going to be in Havana) - The 3rd day money starting feeling weird - I thought I misspent it, so I did a manual count of the bills, put everything back in the safe. Went out that evening and returned in the AM usually after the housekeeper finished cleaning my room, boom money was missing. So I kept the money in my wallet - that night Friday night I took a picture of my safe, returned the saturday afternoon took another photo and compared - and I was shocked, that someone had been going through my safe - I reported this to the staff with the photos, they seemed shock and were more worried about me posting a negative review - I didn't involve the police as the entire week the weather had sucked, and I wanted to go to the beach, wasting my time with the police would've been countless as my money ($700 CUC) was gone. Luckily I had some cash left, and was able to enjoy the remainder of my trip , 1. Forget the safe! 2. Be careful of theft! 3. Opt Out of Housekeeper service (even though they won't respect your wishes)

---Hotel was clean, room was nice, only thing that ruined it was the theft.

-----Also adding that Havana,Cuba is a very safe city, the people are nice, there were no issues with officials as they were courteous, only gripe was the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank Danny H
Sevenoaks
Reviewed 23 June 2013

People working in the tourist industry make a lot of money and they do. In well intentioned tips. I met my room's maid who seemed friendly and unassuming. We chatted a few times. I travel light and always left the room tidy, and on leaving, left small presents totalling about £10. No need to use the safe as I had no valuables, keeping passport, monies etc on me (copies of documents in hotel)
It wasn't until I got home and needed my new prescription glasses with detachable shades I found out they had been taken. I never wore them in Havana as I managed without them, they were there if I needed them, packed with another pair of (broken) sunglasses in 2 separate cases. The sunglasses were left. A favourite pair of irreplaceable trousers had also been taken. Be very wary. However, the hotel's good value, good breakfasts clean and well positioned. I didn't find it noisy.
I'm devastated at the fact that my every part of my bag had been searched and disappointed with the staff.

Room Tip: I was put originally in a back room with no windows. The next morning I had it changed to one at th...
Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Carol B
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The Hotel is located on the Prado, so is a convenient location to old Habana. And close to the hop on hop off bus stop. My room was a decent size with 2 double beds and a small bathroom. The room had no windows and a very noisy AC unit, but because the room was internal, old and concrete the room remained cool. The room also had a TV with both Cuban and American channels. The front of house staff spoke english. For $25CUC I got what I payed for.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank dylan_crosbie
el cerrito, ca
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Can't deny the convenient location but the Prado is seriously noisy. First three nights we were confined to a room so small that we had to climb over the bed to get into the bathroom. No windows and the room smelled strongly of mold. I could not get my suitcase into the room! Front desk staff completely indifferent. Then we were able to move to the room across the hall that at least had a window, but not much cleaner. Really hit and miss at this place. The lady at the lobby bar, the housekeeping staff and (most of the) restaurant staff very friendly. The women at the front desk are rude and dismissive. Definitely NOT the best Havana has to offer.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 01 & 02 have windows onto the Prado - a VERY busy street - bring earplugs! DO N...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business