“Authentic Cuba”
Review of Hotel Florida

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
Hotel Florida
Ranked #23 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel as a perfect location in the heart of old Havana, close to the Malecón and with an authentic Havana feel to it

The food at breakfast was decent but nothing special and it was a be a bit noisy in the evening as my room was above the street but after visiting this incredible city I was too tired to care or be kept awake

Highly recommended for an authentic experience of Havana vieja

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Like most of Havana (historic area) it's a beautiful, old, crumbling hotel with staff that don't really care (but then, no one does in Cuba), We had a Junior Suite and between the 2 ancient air conditioners, they cooled the room sufficiently enough to sleep. Housekeeping, mmmm, not well trained and I'm not sure they changed our sheets during our 7 night stay. Laundry was outrageous (we're talking upwards of US$100) and not very good (clothes didn't smell clean, and full of creases). Took the entire 7 days to train the bar staff but they got there in the end. Government-owned, so no real motivation to improve. Overall, ok.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were bounced on our arrival at the hotel (a Government conference) and moved elsewhere, returning later in the week. Overall the Florida was what you would expect in Old Havana and we were happy to stay there.. The suite was clean, the plumbing was occasional, the food was passable. The location is excellent and the architecture impressive. My main problem was the way the staff handled bouncing us after a very long journey (from the UK). It was not their fault but they are still in the front line. This is a customer service training issue.

However, at the end of our trip, on our way back through Havana before our flight home, our booked taxi did not turn up. The doorman moved heaven and earth to find a car to speed us to the airport and we arrived just in time, given the infamous queues. He made up for any other shortfalls in service.

Room Tip: The higher level suites are better
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were booked into the Hotel Florida for the first two nights of our holiday. We checked in at the Hotel Florida and were then taken through the hotel to another hotel that adjoins at the back. The room there was damp, airless and windowless but when we complained, we were told the rooms were the same price and quality. This was nonsense - the Florida rooms were much better so I guess they use the other hotel (Almeida or similar) as an overflow. As to position, couldn't have been better

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the Hotel Florida and not the adjoining Hotel Almeida (?)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel M
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel was quite excellent. I was not sure exactly what to expect when I stayed, but the large, marble-floored, beautiful Hotel Florida certainly took my by surprise! I went with a large group, and I know that some others had rooms on the lower level which weren't quite as nice as the room that I stayed in. My room was on the upper level. It had deep green marble floors, a WONDERFUL air conditioner (it was mid-May in Havana, and the AC kept the room pleasantly cool), a nice shower, perfectly functioning toilet, and two simple but perfectly serviceable beds. I also had a very small balcony that opened up over the main street.

Our maid was very good about keeping the room clean. Older buildings tend to be a bit dusty, but I felt better staying there than I did in a LOT of hotels in the US. And (hint) if you leave a small tip for the maid when you leave each day, she will go a long way towards making you feel much better there. My roommate and I realized this our second day there when a friend mentioned that he had left 1 CUC for the maid and had returned to find towel animals and other cute touches in his room. We started leaving notes for the maid every day with her tip (we alternated who left the one CUC every morning), and she always wrote back! She was very pleasant and was always willing to do anything we needed to make us feel better.

The location is amazing. Yes, there are other hotels that are probably nicer, but they are farther away from Plaza Vieja and Plaza de Armas. You seriously cannot beat the location, and if you want to experience Old Havana, this is the best way to do it.

The only food I had there was the breakfast, and to be honest, the quality varied some. It was always at least good, if not fantastic. The fruit was one of the best options, and there was always two different fruit juices that varied - Papaya, Guava, Watermelon, and so on. There are also various small breakfast foods, and, OF COURSE, coffee, milk, and sugar. I know that some visitors to Hotel Florida might be disappointed, but the breakfast served there is free and much better than the continental cardboard that you would get at any US hotel. Breakfast was the only meal I had there so I can't really recommend anything else, and the only drink I had there was the welcome mojito that they served us when we arrived.

Other things of note are that you can make calls from either your room (and pay at any time before you leave or at check-out) or from the lobby - even calls to the US (which many of us took advantage of). It's expensive, but still nice to have available. Calls around Cuba were much less expensive. Also, there was a piano bar and music downstairs at night. The noise did not penetrate to the rooms, but it was a fantastic option to have so close by. Oh, and there is a currency exchange place RIGHT across the street (diagonal to the right). I'm sure I'm forgetting other things so feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level are definitely the best! Also, for cheap drinks/food that are still amazin...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jehnarz
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We travelled independently from Holguin to Havana in March 2014 and we were not disappointed. We chose this hotel for location and previous reviews. The hotel location is excellent; facing onto on a pedestrianised street through the centre of Havana( Obispo) - the hotel had all the character and charm imaginable of a quality cuban establishment. The food was varied and high quality the staff very helpful and attentive. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious with high ceilings and many original features. Complimentary toiletries together with cheap but highly desirable mini bar selections added to this desirable hotel. We unfortunately arrived late for our booking after a much delayed internal Cubana airways flight ( never again) this meant our stay was shorter than planned but still this hotel ticked every box for us - would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Overlooking the Obispo best location rooms, 15 or 17 with French windows and small balconies
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank helen s
Reviewed 18 March 2014

On a recent trip to Havana we stayed in the Hotel Florida, perfectly positioned in glorious Old Havana. The staff, the room, the breakfasts were all better than many of the reviews I had read. This is Cuba! I was more than satisfied with my Hotel Florida experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family