“Like staying with family”
Review of Casa Aportela

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Ranked #8 of 269 Speciality Lodging in Havana
Sydney, Australia
“Like staying with family”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a great time with Aurelio and Alicia recently on our trip to Cuba. From our initial emails we knew this was going to be a great experience, so we could not recommend them more.

We stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of our trip and 1 night at the end. The rooms or rather a private apt were fantastic (if you are wanting to cook, there is a kitchen with all utensils required), extremely clean and each featured a balcony which looks onto the street - an essential in Cuba.
Located in centro Habana close to the Malecon and Hotel Nacional this location is perfect to have a break from the madness that is Habana Vieja. The walk to Habana Vieja is a great way to get to know the daily happenings of the city as there are little tourists and loads of locals. If you need to book tours or exchange $$$ there is a Cadeca close by and the Havana Libre hotel is not far.

Aurelio and Alicia will help with anything you need to know and will absolutely go out of his way to ensure you have everything you need. For our arrival it was my partners birthday and Alicia and Aurelio had organised a surprise cake, flowers and few other things for a very festive reception. We thoroughly enjoyed the morning breakfasts (aside from being beyond delicious) where we would be greeted by Alicia with a big warm hug and kiss and would chat for sometimes two hours (I am fluent in Spanish)! As I mentioned it was like staying with family, we felt very comfortable and well looked after.

Don't think twice, this is a very good casa particular where you will have a real Cuban experience. You will not regret it!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Macarena R
CasaAportela, Manager at Casa Aportela, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion. We strive for making that our guests enjoy a fantastic holidays in our house and we wanted your birthday were very specially.
We are very happy that you have felt so good with us and that our recommendations have been so useful.
This is your house and we hope you come back very soon.
Aurelio y Alicia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Alicia and Aurelio are wonderful people and hosts and I strongly recommend you stay there if you want to get a real cuban experience. They are very laid back and warm people, but very professional, Aurelio waited 2hours for us at the airport because our flight was late and took us to the apartment which meant a lot to us. When you're somewhere for the first time and you're super tired from a long flight it's great to know that you're in safe hands and you don't need to worry if the cab driver knows where street San Francisco is (most of them don't btw).
Take the breakfast, not just because it's great , if you understand spanish just a little bit, you can use those 20 minutes to find out whatever you need to know about Havana. They are full of useful informations and they tell you where to go and where NOT to go.
Everything was clean, the building is very safe, not many apartments and as far as I'm concerned the location is very nice. It's about 20-25 min walk to old Havana, quiet, the price 25 cuc, breakfast 4cuc per person. The only thing you might not like is the shower but I used it many times and it seems pretty safe to me. Just try not to overthink it.
The neighborhood seem scary at first but it is very safe. Nobody bothered us at all, I felt safer there than in the Old Havana.
If we had chosen a casa in the old Havana I think we wouldn't have seen half of the city.

P.S. there is no swimming pool, I clicked by mistake and TA wouldn't let me correct it

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CasaAportela, Propietario at Casa Aportela, responded to this review, 30 April 2016
Thank you very much for your comment. The goal of House Aportela is that our customers feel at home. Are our reason for being .
regards
House Aportela
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We have been with Alicia and Aurelio this january for 3 nights and we spent a really great time there. Both are super friendly and kind hosts, told us everything there is to know about havana and even organized our accomodations in other Cuban cities in cienfuegos and trinidad. You gotta take the breakfast, they just prepare it fabulous. The rooms were more of a "casa", e.g. it had a bedroom (really comfortable bed), livingroom, kitchen and a balcony. Just the shower was very "cubean" and not so comfortable as you might be used to. The location is quite good as it is near "havana libre" and quiet at night. Compared to other "casas particulares" (we saw plenty at our trip) I def. recommend it, also in terms of costs (25 CUC a night).

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed three weeks at the casa of Alicia and Aurelio during my Spanish course at the Havana University. Aurelio picked me up at the airport with a taxi driver (25 CUC) so I had no problems to find my way into Centro Havana.

They are a lovely couple and I very much enjoyed my time with them. They have two separate apartments to rent (25 CUC). Breakfast is included in the price and really good. Aurelio is probably the best chef in Cuba :-) Just let them know, what you`ll like and they will prepare it for you.

Alicia and Aurelio live on the same floor as the apartments are and if you need anything or have a question you just need to knock on their door. I got a personal tour through the area from Aurelio on my first day, so that I knew right from the start where everything was.

My apartment was large with a kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom including fan and aircon as well as two televisions. From the tiny balcony I could watch the street live.

The university is just 5 minutes away. The Hotel Havana Libre, a Coppelia (ice cream parlor) and the Malecon are in walking distance. There are all sorts of shops close by where you can buy everything from water to homemade cookies with fruit. You will also find lots of fruit markets where you can buy fresh and cheap fruit and vegetables (with Moneda Nacional).

Cubans like to sing and talk loudly on the streets (no matter what time, day or night), so bring earplugs for a better sleep. During day time the area is perfectly safe, I would only recommend to leave your valuables at home when you`re heading out after dark. Just take with you what you need, put it in your pockets and you will be fine.

I really enjoyed staying at Casa Aportela and miss Alicia and Aurelio already, as we had such a good time together. I will definitely call the next time, when I come to Havana.

Corinna

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Very friendly and Nice hosts! A bit far from havana vieja, but good place to sleep

Make very good breakfast as Well!
Can reccorment Plaza del cristo, good places to eat and drink and its very cheap there!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Sofieslund
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We had a great time staying in this casa, there were no problems whatsoever. The hosts were very lovely, helpful and caring people who make you feel right at home. The apartment was clean and breakfast was one of the best out of all the casas I stayed in Cuba.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elina V
CasaAportela, Propietario at Casa Aportela, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
We appreciate your opinion very much. We work for our guest feel like at home.
We are very happy you had felt so good with us.
This is your house and we hope you come back very soon.
Alicia y Aurelio
toronto
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is fabulous Casa in Centro (surprisingly great location too). Very clean, comfortable and best of all Alicia and Aurelio were great hosts - very kind and gracious. Also don't forget to order the breakfast - it's a feast!!
I'm sure I will re-visit Havana sometime in the future and when I do I will be sure to book with Alicia and Aurelio.

Saludos
Craig

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Craig B
Thank you very much for your opinion. We work for our guest feel like at home.
We are very happy you had felt so good with us.
This is your house, so we hope you come back very soon.
Alicia y Aurelio