“Economical Alternative”

Ranked #43 of 79 Hotels in Havana
New Brunswick, Canada
“Economical Alternative”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The Habana Paseo is located in Vedado and is an economical hotel alternative from the hustle and bustle of Old Havana. The price was $31 per night (single rate) and included cable TV and breakfast. I stayed for three nights in a third floor room. The hotel common areas are attractive and very clean. The hallways and room are showing some wear and tear but were also clean. My room overlooked the street but I had no issue with noise coming from the street...didn't hear the infamous rooster. The halls are wide and echo a bit so on occasion you can hear movement and voices in the hallway. Ear plugs solve that minor issue. The bed spread was a bit dicey but I just removed it from the bed. Front desk staff and doorman (Sergio) were very nice and helpful. The breakfast selection was great and I liked being able to pour my own coffee from the self-service area. The hotel is within walking distance of Calle 23 also known as La Rampa and about an hour's walk to Old Havana. Overall very good value. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mirami-j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We did check out the ratings before booking and honestly didn't know exactly where we were ending up compared to Old Havana which we kind of made our center point. However this turned out to be a quick ride by taxi to and from Park Central. Depending on how you travelled, it was 6- 10 CUC. Don't go with the old cars cause they charged another 10 CUC for the '57 Chevy 'look! Not worth it.
The hotel itself is very nice and colonial on the outside with quaint rocking chairs to sit in and enjoy the warm breeze. Our room had 2 single beds but was a nice size with a very functional bathroom that was very clean. And the air conditioner worked great, a necessity. Staff had limited English but most tried to be friendly.Front desk staff weren't as accommodating as others but we chalked up to language barrier. Overall it was a pleasant stay for the 2 nights there. I would go back if ever in Havana again. HINT: they recommend you leave room key at front desk and I would suggest same. The key fell off the key fob, which was a rather large oval shaped piece of wood, thus we lost the key. That little mistake cost us 25 CUC since it is a metal key and had to be recut.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HalifaxChaseClan
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Tucked away off the main drag, this hotel was just what we hoped for.

Staff spoke limited English but were all friendly and willing to help. Room was clean, quiet, and comfortable, but not all are equipped with working safety deposit boxes. After having plumbing issues with our first room, we had to switch rooms mid stay. Unfortunately, with our safe not working in room #1, we kept our valuables in a locked closet. However, room #2 had no safe and the closet had no doors so there was no space to lock up any valuables.

That said, the hotel was quiet and spotless, restaurant was nice and menu had a number of options for ~7CUC (though it was hit and miss as to what would actually be available on any given day - I suggest the omelets off the breakfast menu and the grilled fish for dinner!). Close to a supermarket, the tour bus stop, tour companies, and a quick horse carriage, taxi, or bus ride to Old Havana. Very safe area and in easy walking distance of all amenities.

Tip - bummed about no pool? Melia Cohiba is right up the street and has a pool side resto and bar. Go grab a drink and they'll let you lounge poolside. Really nice end to the day!

Would happily spend my next vaca at Paseo Habana.

Room Tip: Room overlooking hospital are quieter but not as nice of a view.. your pick!
Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Mallory H
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I trusted rating here.

And it paid off really well, yeah, the staff has very limited English and their printed menu includes options which may or may not be available on any given time, but the service attitude was very positive and all in all the feeling was nice. They also serve Mojito which is excellent in price and quality.

Yeah, the rooster mentioned is still alive and kicking, but so what?

The location, yeah, it could be closer to Nacionales, as it was somewhat starting point on many things on our trip, yet it took like 15min to walk there... and if you walk by 23, on the left side at El Quiote square, there is tiny El Quiote take away with excellent Burger for couple of CUCs.

Room Tip: 308 has the rooster noise, if you cant tolerate, choose from opposite side.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ladadude
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We booked the Habana Paseo for 2 nights for our short stay in Havanna.

The start was not promising, when we arrived in the night our room was not available due to some alleged water problems so we were shipped off to another hotel. Stupid as we were we did not ask too much as they promised that it would be a "nice hotel".

It turned out to be a really rusted out concrete block which had seen its better days sometime in the 50's, actually the worst hotel I've ever been in. Staff spoke very little english, and had some difficulties with the language as our spanish was not that good.

Well, we returned to the hotel the next day to check that our room would be now available and the answer was yes, of course. Ok, so we spent the day around town and returned to the hotel in the evening. Surprise, the room was not available, they had given it to someone who had decided to stay for one more night so we were sent again to another hotel. This time the hotel was okay, but we were just glad that it would be the last night in Havana after all this.

We reserved and paid everything in advance, so it's a quite questionable to give our room to someone else instead. I think the first night was actually the same thing, they just didn't want to confess the situation.

Can't recommend in any way, avoid if you can, and if they send you off to another hotel, please check that it's not the Hotel Bruzon!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LauriAa

Travellers are raving about these Havana hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I travelled alone and stayed at Hotel Habana Paseo for 1 week at the end of November. The first thing that struck me as I entered the hotel was the cleanliness. The hallways were bright and the floors were sparkling clean. I was however not impressed when I opened the door to my room (207) to see a giant cockroach on the floor. I did not panic but then noticed the safety deposit box was broken so the staff moved me next door to rm 209. That safe was also broken and the next day I finally settled into rm 307 and everything was great. The room was spotless, large and bright with two small balconies, chairs, table, 2 double beds, tv and mini fridge and no bugs. I faced the hospital and although I did not have the views that the other side did , I also did not have to contend with the noisy neighbour and the rooster that others have complained about. The bed was comfortable and there was hot water and good water pressure in the shower. Yes, the showerhead did not stay on the wall and became a hand held but that was not the end of the world.
Breakfast was included and was very good. There was fruit, dry cereal, buns, choice of eggs or omelet, bacon, ham, toast, jam, juice, yogurt and coffee. Coffee was so- so. I had dinner in the restaurant a few times and really enjoyed the grilled fish (6 CUC) so it did not matter to me that they ran out of some other items. All the servers were very pleasant.
The hotel is in a great location and I walked everywhere from here. It is an easy walk to the Malecon, 23 y 12, Avenidos de los Presidentes, Coppelia, etc. It took me about an hour to stroll along the Malecon to Habana Vieja and 2 hours to walk to Viazul bus station .Vedado is an interesting area- very pretty streets with lots of trees and incredible mansions- some restored and some in shambles. There is plenty to see in this area. The stunning Museo de Artes Decoratives down the street is just one example and is well worth the 5 CUC and there are many other points of interest, restaurants, street stalls, markets, cadecas and CUP eateries.
The staff are not proficient in English which I found added to the authenticity of this quaint hotel. (Next time I will brush up on my Spanish). The rocking chairs on the front porch were a nice touch. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes to walk and isn't looking for a 5 star luxury hotel with a pool and other amenities. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms have better views but are noisy due to the neighbours and their rooster that...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank gniteIrene
Brighton
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

Hotel Habana Paseo is located in the neighbourhood of Vedado. It's a 10 minute walk from the famous Malecon, and about 7 minutes by taxi to Old Havana, costing between 3-7 CUC depending on what mode of transport you use. You can also walk into Old Havana and the this can take about an hour, via Havana Libre and the university. It can cost 20 CUC if you choose to travel in a refurbished classic car. The hotel itself is fairly decent for the price you pay. The room was on the 3rd (top) floor and had 2 single beds. It had views of the Florida Straits and much of Vedado and Habana Centro. The issue with the room was firstly the shower not being attached to the wall and had to be hand held. The safe in the room wasn't working but staff seemed trustworthy enough that you could leave your valuables in the room. The breakfast was ok, but the dinner menu at the hotel was limited with many items being unavailable. The rocking chairs out the front of the hotel make for great time passing at any time of day. The staff were very helpful but their English is limited so brush up on your Spanish! They made recommendations of clubs, bars and daytrips when asked and gave the correct information, however they didn't know opening times of these places and bus times thus leaving us either late for travel or too early to enter a club. There is a Sadeca (Bureau de Change) about 1 block away but a 24 hour one at the near by Hotel Cohiba. There are bars, markets and clubs in the area, so if you don't like loud music this may not be the hotel for you. The hotel is set in what I would say is the real Havana, surrounded by the locals. I've seen other hotels and they attract attention from beggars and con artists, this one doesn't. The last issue is the roosters. There's about 2 roosters that belong to the noisy neighbours next door. On the first morning it was difficult to cope with but afterwards seemed to add to the atmosphere. I would stay here again and highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience Havana as it really is. A few tips, people on the street will constantly ask you if you require a taxi, this can happen when you're walking, sitting down at a bar or if you've just gotten out of a taxi. You will also be approached outside restaurants to go in, offered cigars which are actually fakes and some people will claim to know you and attempt to swindle you out of something. Many people will ask where you are from and attempt to follow you. It is annoying at times but Havana wouldn't be the same without it.

• Stayed November 2012