“Don't waste the time!”

Amistad de Lanzarote
Ranked #687 of 798 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban
Description: This was recommended by the Rough Guide to Havana but we found it is a tourist trap.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Don't waste the time!”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The service was horrible, the food was edible but that's enough of a compliment and it was outrageously overpriced. They also catered to many tour groups and they PACK them in so you feel like a sardine in a can if you are there at the wrong time.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Nelle_1234

Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Predatory and dishonest”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Everything the previous reviewer has said is true - meal starts at 15CUC and they provide local drinks at prices that other restaurants normally charges for imports. When I asked about the $5 service charge, the owner first claim that it's a tax that every paladar customer has to pay (which is never the case). After I challenged him repeatedly he pulled out the "bilingual" English/Spanish and pointed to a print in Spanish only. Clearly predatory and deceptive.

Oh, they also have 12CUC ice-creams waiting for unsuspecting travellers to fall into - which is 300 times of what you pay at Coppelia.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Ernie L
London
“Outrageously overcharged”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We'd only been in Havana a few hours so hungry and jet-lagged we stumbled into this place after seeing a reasonable review in a guide book. We thought we were going to experience a taste of real Cuban food and hospitality so left the owner/manager/waiter to suggest a menu for the 4 of us. We had 4 main courses with ice and potatoes, 3 mojitos and a lemonade and were charged 97 CUCs. I feel embarrassed even typing it but this was the first thing we'd bought in Havana so didn't have much of a yardstick. Incidentally the mojitos were undrinkable as they had so much rum in them obviously a ploy to get you too tiddly to complain. To top it all off, two of us got food poisoning. As we later discovered, other restaurants charge less than half of the price we paid for delicious cuban food. We chalked this up to experience and didn't let it spoil our holiday as Havana is a brilliant place.

• Visited August 2011
Toronto, Canada
“Majorily over charged”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

A certain guidebook rated this place as budget with most meals at $6.00. I went there and was presented with a menu with prices starting at $15.00. This was my first clue. I should have left, but being hungry and not wanting to search out another option I stayed. I had a lamb dish, decent enough but certainly not worth $15.00. I had a can of Tu Kola (the local version of Coca Cola). When I got the bill it came out to $22.00! Added was a $5.00 service charge. The pop was also charged at $2.00 (99% of places charge $1).

• Visited July 2011