Amistad de Lanzarote
Ranked #709 of 831 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban
Description: This was recommended by the Rough Guide to Havana but we found it is a tourist trap.
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I too have had the same experiences as the other reviewers. We had 2 main courses which were good 2 soft drinks and an ice cream that we didn't really want the total cost was 60cuc. We were expecting to pay around 20cuc as suggested by the Lonely Planet Guide, so were very surprised at the 12cuc cost for the chocolate icecream. This was our worst experience of Havana and I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

The service was horrible, the food was edible but that's enough of a compliment and it was outrageously overpriced. They also catered to many tour groups and they PACK them in so you feel like a sardine in a can if you are there at the wrong time.

1  Thank Nelle_1234
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Everything the previous reviewer has said is true - meal starts at 15CUC and they provide local drinks at prices that other restaurants normally charges for imports. When I asked about the $5 service charge, the owner first claim that it's a tax that every paladar customer has to pay (which is never the case). After I challenged him repeatedly he pulled out the "bilingual" English/Spanish and pointed to a print in Spanish only. Clearly predatory and deceptive.

Oh, they also have 12CUC ice-creams waiting for unsuspecting travellers to fall into - which is 300 times of what you pay at Coppelia.

1  Thank Ernie L
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We'd only been in Havana a few hours so hungry and jet-lagged we stumbled into this place after seeing a reasonable review in a guide book. We thought we were going to experience a taste of real Cuban food and hospitality so left the owner/manager/waiter to suggest a menu for the 4 of us. We had 4 main courses with ice and potatoes, 3 mojitos and a lemonade and were charged 97 CUCs. I feel embarrassed even typing it but this was the first thing we'd bought in Havana so didn't have much of a yardstick. Incidentally the mojitos were undrinkable as they had so much rum in them obviously a ploy to get you too tiddly to complain. To top it all off, two of us got food poisoning. As we later discovered, other restaurants charge less than half of the price we paid for delicious cuban food. We chalked this up to experience and didn't let it spoil our holiday as Havana is a brilliant place.

Reviewed 23 July 2011

A certain guidebook rated this place as budget with most meals at $6.00. I went there and was presented with a menu with prices starting at $15.00. This was my first clue. I should have left, but being hungry and not wanting to search out another option I stayed. I had a lamb dish, decent enough but certainly not worth $15.00. I had a can of Tu Kola (the local version of Coca Cola). When I got the bill it came out to $22.00! Added was a $5.00 service charge. The pop was also charged at $2.00 (99% of places charge $1).

2  Thank plutian