“I travelled with 2 timer and agree 100%”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Casa Colonial - Miguel y Doris
Ranked #611 of 687 Havana B&B and Inns
Dundas, Canada
“I travelled with 2 timer and agree 100%”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My deepest apologies to Doris and Miguel for some of the nasty comments offered by other travellers. They do not deserve this bad rap and I cannot imagine why anyone would be so mean spirited. These wonderful hosts are like family, they cater to all of your needs within the limits of Cuban ammenities. The ropa vieja is excellent, breakfasts are wonderful and no one ever tries to rip anyone off. I am amazed that no one realizes this is Cuba not the French Riviera. The house is wonderfully charming full of life and laughter. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The family is always there to offer support or make suggestions. They open their house and heart to anyone who stays with them. Thank you for being my extended family in Havana. I will return often and enjoy your hospitality. Warmest regards.

Room Tip: Speak up if you need to make a specific room request. Do not assume that you are in a Holiday Inn. T...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LocoMaury

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I have stayed here twice for a total of five days in the past 1 1/2 years and I have come to adore this family. We were always made to feel welcome and their children were very friendly and polite. My feelings aside, I was never given "chloride tap water" and you have to turn on the a/c and let it cool off first! lol! Electricity is not cheap in cuba, they cant let it run 24/7 and what about the environment? I was always welcome to drink from their personal purified water dispenser in their kitchen and refill any and all bottles as needed. During our 2nd visit we even showed up without a reservation and they went out of their way to clear out a family members room so we could stay. To top it off they even drove us back to our resort at jibacoa breezes a 45 minute drive each way. After all that @ Fine W, it makes me wonder who the "Horrible people" really were!

Room Tip: Just relax, this is not the lap of luxury. This is a basic place to stay, that is always very clean...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed here on our final night in Cuba. Though the location is not bad, this was by far our least favorite casa in Cuba. We stayed in a boiling hot and noisy room above the garage. The service was far from great. Our taxi to the airport never arrived and when we asked for a bottle of water we got refilled bottles with chloride tap water. Bathrooms were gross and dangerous. Looking at the breakfast made us decide to have brunch at Cafe Paris instead. Definitely a no for us!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank meer_jac_miek
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2013

By no means should you stay in these people´s casa particular!!!!!! Miguel had 30$ to return to me for a night that I did not stay there and after two days of constantly asking him about the money, he said he would give it back. However, the night before I was due to fly out, he said that he didn't have the money but to call my Cuban friend and she would pick it up for me. I flew out early that morning and that evening she was to collect the money. HIS SOLUTION to the problem. But when she called to collect the money, he said that he didn't owe me anything. That, I participated in a Dec 24th dinner (that he paid nothing for nor did any of the cooking) and that that was the end of that.

WHAT HORRIBLE PEOPLE. I've been travellling for years and I've never experienced anything like this. These people really are a piece of work.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Fine W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I was referred to Miguel and Doris by another casa particular listed in the Lonely Planet. My room was in the patio, it had a very good and clean bathroom, and a locker for my valuable (haven't seen this in other casas).

The family is very nice; they were very helpful, I could do national phone calls without problems. Furthermore, I learnt a lot about life in Havanna in my conversations with Miguel, a former baker in the bakery just round the corner.

The neighborhood is a very authentic, untouristic part of Habana Vieja. Around the corner there is the beatifully restored Convento de Belen. The area can be a bit dark at night (as much as any part of Havanna) but I always felt safe and you are only 5 min by foot from Piazza Vieja.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SalvatoreParadise
Greater Cleveland
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This casa was pretty good and a reliable place to stay in Cuba. I arrived pretty late at night, and luckily there was still a room available for me. I did have reservations, but sometimes if you do not call, casa operators give your room to someone else. They had a menu available with prices that was handy. They also offered boiled water that was refrigerated for free. The breakfast food was ok. The guayaba smoothie was the worst I had in Cuba. The breakfast overall was fairly standard. Eggs with buns and government ham and cheese. The cheese is actually quite good. The room I stayed in was up a small staircase. The room had air conditioning and a fan. Knowing Spanish would be good here, but I still made it without knowing much and this was my first night ever in Cuba.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 16 January 2012

This was supposed to be our last house after our 17 day tour in Cuba. At this point of the trip we knew what to expect of a casa particular. When we arrived Miguel and Doris were not there, but left instructions to a 10 year old and sister to show us the rooms. The rooms were crammed with no windows built on top of the garage which were accesible only by a narrow staircase. To make matters worse the bathroom was in the patio and they mentioned we could also use the one in the kitchen! We left after this and looked for another house. The Casa Colonial appeared to have better rooms in the patio but i guess you had to be lucky to get them. The ones on top of the garage looked like they were not registered and were there to make extra money.

Room Tip: Specify the patio rooms with private bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family