All reviews cathedral square old havana great position plaza vieja plumbing ac malecon
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We enjoyed our short stay at this hotel. The staff, while not overly warm, were helpful when asked. The front desk staff and doorman pointed out that we would not like the restaurant we were heading to for dinner. They were right! It was awful, dingy, dirty and uninviting. (We found somewhere else near by.)
There are no windows. Which I found to be a blessing in this busy part of Havana. Because there are no windows the hotel is quiet at night! (I knew this when booking the room online, as I did some research.) This is a family friendly place that doesn't have prostitution problems like some of the other hotels. All areas of this hotel and its rooms are clean. The best breakfast we had in Cuba was had here. There is a store as well. You have to pass through the bar and go outside to find it but it is part of the hotel. I would recommend Hotel Tejadillo to anyone looking for a nice place.

Room Tip: We stayed on the main floor, close to the front desk, and it was still quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kellie L
Reviewed 3 November 2012

By far the best aspect of this hotel is the location. It's a short walk to some of the best sights in Old Havana. The rooms themselves are simple, and the lack of windows in many of them makes sleeping in far too easy.

Breakfast was included with our stay, but after the first day, we opted to go to a nearby cafe instead. The service at the Tejadillo restaurant was erratic (we'd ask a waiter for coffee and we'd get it 20 minutes later, after he'd taken away our sugar) and the food was nothing special (a few pieces of fruit and very overcooked eggs). We also tried dinner at the restaurant one evening, and it wasn't any better - bland food and gruff service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We spent three nights here, of which the first, without any doubts, was the worst experience of my life. It was not a room, it was a cavern!!!No windows, extremely humid, stifling, bathroom desperately seeking reform, dirty towels!!!What a long night it was!!!!The next morning, we insisted in changing our room and the one that was offered as a replacement was again without window but with better breathing condition, tough terrible mattress.
The management of hotel should really consider changing them for they are completely destroyed!!!!
The hotel staff, with the exception of the receptionist that was on duty the second day of our stay, was unbelievably unprofessional and sometimes even rude.It seem that they all wanted to cheat you in order to get some money out of you, offering you different kind of "services" (to take you to a "good" restaurant, to guide you through the city, etc...).
The breakfast was so poor that by any means it could not be considered as a proper one.There were cockroach in the internal patio where the breakfast was served!!!
On our way back to Europe, we spent another night in la Habana, but this time in another hotel: "El Florida".It was far better in all aspects: room quality, air conditioning, service,staff, breakfast, sanitary conditions!!!And it was cheaper!!So do not make the same mistake we made!!!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay in this hotel, NEVER take the rooms without windows, take suites!!! Apparently they are somewhat in better conditions.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gloriousness
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I spent 3 nights here in April 2012. I'd read some negative reviews of the hotel so was a bit apprehensive. It turns out I had little to worry about. I thought this was a lovely hotel and the location couldn't have been better - just around the corner from the cathedral, and ideal for exploring old Havana.

The hotel was very clean and the staff were very helpful. I understand that some of the rooms don't have windows, but I was lucky enough to be given one with a window and a nice balcony. This certainly helps to get a bit of air flowing and makes for a more pleasant experience. My only gripe relates to the bed. I think it's time the hotel replaced the mattress - it wasn't the worst I've slept in but it should have been better for a hotel of this quality.

Breakfast was pretty basic. All they gave you was some fruit, bread and eggs with tea ot coffee and weak fruit juice. I think they could do more on this front, but you can always get something better out on the street.

It wasn't the quitest place I've ever stayed. There was live music every day, but it seemed to stop pretty early on, so was never intrusive. Personally I rather enjoyed it.

I would recommend this hotel as it was nice, clean and reasonable value for money. Having said that I'd probably try and get a room at the Raquel. It's a much better hotel for about the same price.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a window and balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank edinburghdude
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We picked this hotel as part of a 2 centre package because it looked like the most authentic Cuban hotel on offer which is what we wanted..
The location is excellent for exploring Old Havana, just off Plaza Catedral with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, plus the main shopping district.
The room was spacious and reasonably equipped, although whilst there was a fully stocked mini bar, there was no tea making facilities or hairdryer. The bathroom was very badly lit but whilst in need of updating, was clean.
We had a room on the 1st floor with a balcony. The shutter doors/windows that led out to the balcony did not shut properly, so it was quite noisy, especially at around 7.30am when the children were lining up to get into the primary school opposite the hotel. Thankfully though it is surrounded by roads where vehicles are limited to deliveries, so no traffic noise.
The public areas were nicely keep with atriums that you could sit and relax. The bar at the front opens out on to the street and they seem to have a house band.Take heed though that after about 2 songs, they will approach you to buy their CD's and looking for a tip (so common place in all of Cuba that it gets a bit tedious after a while).
Breakfast was basic, consisting of fruit, omlettes,an assortment of breads and unlimited tea and coffee.
Staff were pleasant and helpful.
If you are looking for a traditional Cuban Style Hotel and are happy to embrace the bustling atmosphere then this is a good choice. If you are looking for luxury, peace and quite or want to stay in a hotel equivalent to an English 4 star, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Reception side of the hotel are opposite a primary school where the children play outside early in the morning. Rooms at the front would be over the bar which may be noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple