All reviewscathedral squareold havanagreat positionplazaviejaplumbingacmalecon
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This site identifies the Tejadillo as a hostel but it is not. It is a hotel, a Cuban hotel. The location could not be better, it's in the middle of Old Havana which means you can stroll around at night, stop for a mojito in a plaza and listen to music, all of which is very charming but at some point you have to return to the hotel to try to sleep. This hotel is noisy. The house band will play until midnight, the street noise just goes on and on, all night and you will be awakened at 6:00am by the kitchen staff arriving, moving chairs, talking very loud and rattling pots and pans. Don't be fooled, no room is quiet, even the ones in the interior. The other annoying thing is the breakfast coffee served at the buffet. It is watery and awful. We got around that by having our breakfast in the bar where they also brew coffee but in an espresso machine. Perfect. The rooms are large an roomy but the sheets barely cover the mattress. Not a big deal, unless you are a restless sleeper (take a sleeping pill, I did). The staff at the hotel is great and they go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel says they have hair dryers, and they do, but you have to ask for one of the two hair dryers at the concierge desk, so take one with you. They had an elevator but it was frequently out of service during the 10 days I was there. It is full of charm, however, and given the location and the price, I would stay there again but bring more sleeping pills with me.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

want a hotel, that blends charm, style, a bit of funkiness, mixed with, well uneven but always manageable quality, then this is the place for you. it is perfectly located for walking the old city of Havana, and for accessing taxi for other destinations. Staff worked to please for the most part.. but exceptions 'happen'.
If you go to Cuba to be pampered.. then this may not be your place, but if you are going with a sense of open exploration and learning, this place will add to your overall experience. Good luck

Room Tip: Because the hotel was converted from an earlier use ( convent, embassy, wealthy quarters) there are several rooms that open onto courtyards, but are otherwise windowless. There are two rooms with small balconies and exterior windows.
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of a tour of Cuba. As with many of the rooms here ours had no window but that didn't really matter - we didn't go to Havana to spend time in the hotel room as there's so much to see and do in the city! The room was on the second floor and huge with 3 beds which gave us room to spread out. The air conditioning worked well and the room and bathroom were very clean. The room overlooked an internal courtyard which was very pretty but it was a bit noisy in the mornings when the birds in the large tree outside woke up and started singing.... When we arrived the lift wasn't working but it was back in action the next day.
Breakfasts are simple and efficiently served but the coffee left a lot to be desired; on the second morning it was only luke warm and very gritty. The best thing about the hotel is the location, as other reviews have indicated, being very close to the cathedral and lots of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one week February 2-9. I found the hotel comfortable and very well located. The breakfasts were fine and I never got the least bit sick the entire week and I made sure to eat the omelette every day as I knew it was safe. I brought gluten free bread to toast and they did that for me every morning. The welcome dinner here made me worried about the food in Cuba as it was pretty tasteless but that proved to be not "totally" right. We did get rather bored with "chicken, beef, pork or fish" every day cooked the same way. But occasionally a really great rice or beans or even flan would elevate the meal.

About the actual hotel - the sheets were a bit threadbare and I think they would be very well served asking guests if they wish their sheets washed every day and preserve the fabric. The blow dryer had to be asked for but they had one. Not great but it was there. The air conditioning worked GREAT and there was also a fan provided

if you like mojitos this is the country for you! They were often included as the free drink at the restaurants our tour company used (Cuba Explorer - see review there). The pina coladas were good but my friend who likes rum just bought a bottle - put in the freezer and drank a bit of that neat each night. She loved it. The wine is practically non-existent and rarely even offered at a hotel or restaurant and only once was it included. Avoid cuban wine! Though the Cuban beer is very good.

Drinks mainly cost 3 CUC (which is about $3 USD but exchanging costs are HIGH here!) You get about 85 CUC per USD even though the rate was in our favor a bit while we were there. I found switching about the same everywhere with fees Getting change was a HUGE issue especially when you have to pay to get toilet paper to go to the bathroom in bars and restaurants.

The biggest issue at this hotel is the noise - and the elevator which worked only 3 of the 7 days we were there. The noise often comes from the after hour staff in the lobby. The hotel is built around a large courtyard and sound carries VERY well. If I had understood their Spanish I could have probably joined the conversation from my room - and it could be very loud. The hotel should ask for quiet hours in the lobby and courtyard from 10 pm - 7 am from their staff and guests.

Very tempting to put my review on Cuba here but I will do that elsewhere. Suffice it to say that I think the tipping has gotten a bit out of control and in my opinion will end up corrupting the tourist industry tremendously. We were advised to tip our guide 5CUC per day which seemed reasonable sitting in our office in USA but once we you go there and realize that CUC is only spent by tourists and is worth 24 of their pesos and the average salary is about $20USD/month with brain surgeons making about $22/month. That said - tipping our guide the recommended $35 USD per person seemed outrageous. That said if she worked only 40 weeks a year and averaged about 16 clients each trip she would make over $22,000 USD per year! A recipe for corruption. This is something I think the tour company needs to revisit. What is expected and recommended.

In fact if Cuba doesn't get a handle on tourists throwing money around and tipping to take a photo or giving a CUC just to use a toilet (use a dime at most!!) Havana will turn into a beggars paradise. Not good for them or for the tourist industry. My review on Cuba will also talk about gifts, what to bring and how to distribute best - away from the "regular" stops who get gifts constantly!

Room Tip: There are some rooms without "windows". I am extremely claustrophic and had arranged a room with a window prior to coming but upon arrival was told it was not available. I envisioned an inside room of a cruise ship. That was not the case. The ceilings are high and we had two doors leading out to the courtyard. Everything covered so very little natural light but even for a phobe like me it was quite fine In fact the balconies can be a bit loud from the street so our room (104) facing out to the courtyard was quite fine.
2  Thank JudyJudyJudyH
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I basically agree with the other reviews I can see for the hotel. The location is excellent, just around the corner from the Cathedral and a block from Cuba St. Lots of restaurants nearby and only about 2 blocks to the Malecón. There were 2 types of rooms - on the first floor they face in to a courtyard and have no windows and they seemed a bit musty. We stayed on the second floor and had a little balcony overlooking the street. Very pleasant. It wasn't perfect, but what are you expecting after 53 years of the embargo? Free breakfast everyday but it was the same (we stayed a week). Plenty of coffee and they would make espressos or cortados for no extra charge. The staff was friendly and helpful when asked. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms without a window to the outside.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business