All reviewscathedral squareold havanagreat positionplazaviejaplumbingacmalecon
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This hotel was more than adequate but failed to provide a level of security and privacy travelers should be able to expect.

My iPhone was taken from my hotel room.

It occurred while I was out to dinner to listen to Cuban music with nine of our group. I wore long pants that night and was going to take a fanny pack for my glasses and phone. At the last moment before I left my room I decided I didn't want to take a fanny pack and put it down. I didn't even think about my fon being in it. We were gone from 8 to 11:30. My room was locked. Somebody with intent came into my room, looked through my things and left with my fon.

The room had a safe which I used for my cash, passport, iPad, Kindle, camera and fon. The one time didn't put my fon in the safe, it was stolen. A crime with intent but of opportunity too.

The same thing happened to another woman in our group in the room next to mine. Her iFon was stolen too, the same night. Her partner's Andriod fon was untouched.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Carlos999_12
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Clean ,comfortable,nice size rooms,air-conditioned,plenty hot water.Waiters for breakfast hustle
nice friendly bar.Very pleased with this hotel.Liked the location,laundry was good, chose the 8 hour laundry,was less than 8 hours.The only negative is the bar and front desk very rarely had
change.I would stay there again

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We booked Hostal Del Tejadillo for our recent trip to Havana through the Habaguanex Hotels website. We were looking for a small boutique hotel with character, charm and history for our one night stay. After reading the reviews, I was a little concerned that we might be over booked and discussed this with our local guide. He assured us that he would accompany us to our hotel and ensure we not only got a room but the room we had originally booked. As it turns out, our concerns were unwarranted. We arrived at the hotel after our walking tour of Old Havana, check in took minutes and we were soon whisked away to our room. We booked one of the Junior Suites and we were not disappointed once we entered the room.

Our room, 209, was large, bright and airy. Tastefully decorated and clean. We had a small balcony that over looked the Havana Cathedral. As it is a corner suite our balcony spanned both sides of the building. The price was reasonable, the location is perfect for exploring Old Havana on your own. Staff were friendly and accommodating. The fellow that showed us to our room had troubles showing us how to use the safe but we found we had no need for it anyway. The beds were comfortable and we slept well, it was peaceful and quiet. There is a restaurant on the premises and a small bar which had a small band that played during the evening.

The price of the room for the night includes breakfast the next morning. It was sparse with little to choose from but we were able to eat just enough to tide us over until we had a larger brunch at one of the many local restaurants in the area. We would definitely return and our biggest disappointment was not staying in Havana and at this hotel longer.

Room Tip: Room 209, a junior suite has a large balcony over looking 2 streets and Havana Cathedral
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sportyster
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This site identifies the Tejadillo as a hostel but it is not. It is a hotel, a Cuban hotel. The location could not be better, it's in the middle of Old Havana which means you can stroll around at night, stop for a mojito in a plaza and listen to music, all of which is very charming but at some point you have to return to the hotel to try to sleep. This hotel is noisy. The house band will play until midnight, the street noise just goes on and on, all night and you will be awakened at 6:00am by the kitchen staff arriving, moving chairs, talking very loud and rattling pots and pans. Don't be fooled, no room is quiet, even the ones in the interior. The other annoying thing is the breakfast coffee served at the buffet. It is watery and awful. We got around that by having our breakfast in the bar where they also brew coffee but in an espresso machine. Perfect. The rooms are large an roomy but the sheets barely cover the mattress. Not a big deal, unless you are a restless sleeper (take a sleeping pill, I did). The staff at the hotel is great and they go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel says they have hair dryers, and they do, but you have to ask for one of the two hair dryers at the concierge desk, so take one with you. They had an elevator but it was frequently out of service during the 10 days I was there. It is full of charm, however, and given the location and the price, I would stay there again but bring more sleeping pills with me.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2013

want a hotel, that blends charm, style, a bit of funkiness, mixed with, well uneven but always manageable quality, then this is the place for you. it is perfectly located for walking the old city of Havana, and for accessing taxi for other destinations. Staff worked to please for the most part.. but exceptions 'happen'.
If you go to Cuba to be pampered.. then this may not be your place, but if you are going with a sense of open exploration and learning, this place will add to your overall experience. Good luck

Room Tip: Because the hotel was converted from an earlier use ( convent, embassy, wealthy quarters) there are several rooms that open onto courtyards, but are otherwise windowless. There are two rooms with small balconies and exterior windows.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends