“Don't expect too much”

Ranked #3 of 79 Hotels in Havana
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Don't expect too much”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. While it is seemingly one of the best in La Havana, please don’t expect a lot. They do accept cards but none that have to do with US Banks. There is a small exchange office near the reception area that will take your dollars. Again, staff members are friendly and do their best to make your stay a great one. Rooms are large; air conditioning units are noisy and rarely cool the place, pillows are stained with who knows what and the sheets are made of the curtain materials. Bed bugs are often present in all rooms. Channels on the TV are limited and you only get 1 hr of free internet. Connection is so bad that you may spend the entire hour trying to download one webpage. I think the 18th and 19th floors have in room routers. Pool is awesome and so is the pizza and outside pool restaurants. Breakfast is nice I must say too. I have never been under the weather because of the food I’ve eater there. The area surrounding the hotel and the ‘malecon’ is fit for running. Gym is a bit dated and machines need WD40.

Room Tip: Ask for Standard Guest floors that overlook the Malecon.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank O_SanJose
, General Manager at Melia Cohiba, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear O_SanJose,

First of all, thank you very much for letting us know your impressions about our Hotel Melia Cohiba. This is an opportunity to improve our standards in order to offer our guest the excellence service they deserve.

We are taking note about all the details you wrote in your review and I’m deeply sorry for all the inconveniences you had. We would have liked to know these dissatisfactions during your stay, which would have helped to make you enjoy a better stay among us.

Thank you again for letting us know and we hope that in spite of these difficulties we have the opportunity to have you back at our hotel.

Juan Tuñon Cifre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 8 July 2012

For first timers, the location is outside the main tourist drag of Old Havana. It is opposite the Malecon(long board walk on the coast of Havana). There is a large breakfast hall with a broad choice of options, but generally average quality ingredients. Internet connectivity(14 CUC per hour) on the higher floors is non-existent and you will have to to the lobby to get access. Gym opens early and is well equipped with weights and aerobic equipment. Glad to hear that they are putting some money into the hotel, it was a little worn when I was last there in May.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Melia Cohiba, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Dover C,

I would like to thank you for publishing your comments about our hotel. It is very important four our daily work, to know the opinions of our guests.

About the location of our hotel, let me inform you that we have a free service of a shuttle available for our clients to visit the Old Havana, which has different frequencies in the morning and in the afternoon.

Once again, thank you very much for letting us know and we hope to receive you again in a near future.

los angeles
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My family and I spent a week at this hotel and had a wonderful time. The rooms were really nice, clean, surprisingly big, and I was lucky to have a gorgeous view of the Malecon. The breakfast buffet was pretty extensive and the Italian restaurant in the hotel is excellent.

The pool is great and wraps around a small island. It feels like a resort. We spent most of our afternoons there....which was much needed as the Havana night life especially during the Havana Jazz festival is too much fun to go to bed. Fortunately, the pool chaise lounges are amazingly comfortable!

I would definitely go back to this hotel and cannot wait to visit Havana again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank leilevi
, General Manager at Melia Cohiba, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Leilevi,

It is very important for our daily performance to receive your valuable opinion about our service. Thank you very much for letting us know.

Our clients and theirs satisfaction are our reason of being and that’s why we fight for every day. We will let our staff knows about your review, this will contribute for sure to continue offering the careful service which make you always come back.

We will really appreciate you could let us know about a future visit to Havana when we are sure you will receive the excellent service that has always distinguished us. It will be a pleasure to receive you again in Meliá Cohiba.

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We've stayed here several times over the years and always enjoy it. This time we were given an ensuite bedroom with a separate sittingroom and extra toilet. The variety of rooms this hotel has is astounding. The aircon wasn't very effective but as we were only staying for three nights and we liked the room we didn't bother to report the problem.
Both checkin and checkout happened without incident or delay. We hadn't touched the minibar or coffee machine but after reading other reviews here we were prepared if they had tried to charge us.
We're very fond of the Italian Restaurant - they were well stocked up on parmesan cheese when we visited this time - less so after I had eaten there. We watched the parade of gentlemen with young ladies (who were clearly not related to them) with much amusement. The gentlemen always seemed to be known to the staff. I read a recent review suggesting that the reception area is being used as a pick up place in the evening. I've never seen this but then I'm not down there after dinner - we prefer the bar on the first floor. What I will say is the whole escort thing is much more obvious than it used to be. I have suspicions about some of the guests around the pool also.
The choice at breakfast remains impressive as does the staff's complete inability to think that you might want coffee. Or more cutlery once they've cleared the first lot. Or a coffe top up. Good food though.
An interest development in the world of Melia Cohiba was conferences. There seemed to be several going on while we were there including Nokia and a Freight Forwarding company (is any country in the world less in need of freight forwarding!). This is good news though as the conference trade will push standards and expectations up for all guests.
The whole area around the hotel felt safe. We wandered all the way across to Calle 23 and I think we were only bothered once. As soon as I asked him to stop bothering us he left. Buy your water across the road from reception in the little 24 hour supermarket - they were very nice there. And try a Coco at least once - talk about a white knuckle ride!

Room Tip: There seems to be a huge choice. We've never had a bad room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sara E
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This hotel is not placed in Havana Vieja (The Old Town), but this should not be a problem, since a taxi ride is about 10 CUC and, if you choose so, you can even use the free shuttle buses, from and to the hotel. It does not keep the 1950 atmosphere either, wich is sad, but...

On the other hand, you are only 50m away from the Malecon, a place where Cubano people come to sing and dance, at night - which is soooo lovely! You can join them in doing so - they will be so glad! And it's a 10 minutes walk from Club 1830 and Miramar District - another must see places: one for live music and salsa dance; the other, for its beautiful old houses and parks. The difference is you can come back to the hotel at any hour (you'll feel more than safe), which is not the same when staying downtown.

The hotel is not the most elegant, nor the worst. You should avoid Havana Cafe (an overrated bar, much too expensive - go to Tropicana instead, it will cost you the same, in the end, for a much more interesting show). And choose HalfB in advance, if you intend to have dinner there. Otherwise, dinner will cost you at least 28 CUC, food only. And then, you should add some, for the expensive drinks :) But the food is good and, if you keep in mind how much you could pay in Europe, for the same meal, at a 5 star hotel... :))

The staff was very nice and, when my room was not ready to check in, they offered me a big triple one instead, with three queen size beds, though I was alone :) Everybody speaks English very well and they are really willing to help. Especially those working at the Concierge: they gave us usefull info and always had a big smile on their faces. Took care of our belongings, while we were at the bar or pool. We had a trip to Las Terrazas, to their advice, and it was a great experience.

So, yes, I think I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: in case they do something wrong and feel the need to compensate that, ask them to give you a room at...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LorenaSD
MeliaCohiba, General Manager at Melia Cohiba, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. LoreSDBucharest ,

I really appreciate your opinion about our Hotel and its facilities.

We are very pleased to know you felt good among us. To satisfy our clients is our reason for being and that’s why we fight for every day.

Thank you very much and we really appreciate if you let me know about your next visit to Havana.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I spent 4 nights in Melia Cohiba. The hotel location is good, in Vedado, near Malecon, about 5 minutes from the Old City by taxi (5-8 CUC), 30 min from the airport (25 CUC). The rooms were spacious, very comfortable, air conditioning, bath equipment – everything was in excellent working condition. I did not had the feeling the room equipment was old. The included breakfast was very nice, very good variety, although coffee was not tasty. The staff are professional and helpful. Sometimes it takes them too much time to register visitors during check-in, so some crowds of people gather near the reception desk from time to time but it does not seem to be a serious problem. The pool on the roof of the 1st floor is OK. If you take a lunch or dinner at the hotel, be aware it would be at least two times more expensive than in an average restaurant in Habana, but the quality of food may be better outside the hotel. Good impression from the hotel was a little spoilt on the last day when we, me and my wife, were checking out and a guy at the reception declared we had taken some water from the minibar and have to pay for it although we had not taken anything from there. He called another hotel official who brought 2 bottles of water with the lids slightly unscrewed. We understood it was a trick just to play the fool with foreign tourists and to humbug money out of them and refused to pay anything. Then they made us write a written evidence that we had not taken anything from the minibar and had not unscrew the bottles lids. Quite stupid. I wrote such a paper however I did not expect such trick from a five star hotel. If this incident is not taken into account, I would say I was pleased with the hotel and can recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SergeiV
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Hotel is in need of a renovation. The Pool is the best thing about the hotel.
Rooms are old but clean. Service is below par. Food is just average.
Lobby are is nice and there is a little bar that seems like the place to be.
There is also a restaurant attached to the hotel with live shows.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Toishome
MeliaCohiba, General Manager at Melia Cohiba, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Pbeigbabai,

First of all, let me thank you for publishing your comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor.

Let me inform you that we are carrying out an improvement plan, in order to offer our guests a service to the high they deserve.

I hope to have the pleasure to receive you again at Melia Cohiba Hotel in a near future, so, I would really appreciate if you let us know of your next visit to La Habana.