“Our great experience in La Habana”
Review of Hostal Lamparilla

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Hostal Lamparilla
Ranked #300 of 694 Havana B&B and Inns
Celje, Slovenia
“Our great experience in La Habana”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We arrived in La Habana around 11pm so it was a very interesting first day experience :) Mr. Ruben where we stay arranged us friendly pick up at airport. Apartment is very clean and nice, breakfast were outstanding. Location of casa is practicaly in the center of Habana old town. Get ready for a good food and nice music :) Muchost grazias Ruben !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while on a family trip in November 2013. I feel like I've found a home for my future travels to cuba! The first night I stayed at the top end Hotel Inglaterra and we ran out of there! Not only is it government owned it's extremely expensive. You will definitely get your money's worth at family run hostel such as Hostal Lamparilla. The host Ruben and Conchita are VERY NICE and helpful! They live in an adjacent apartment, which means that although always ready to help, you will have privacy. The apartment is extremely CLEAN and well kept! Great location! Great value! Conchita and Ruben's breakfast juice is DELICIOUS!

MY HOME IN CUBA!

Stayed November 2013
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It's more like a perfectly renovated an Airbnb apartment with equiped kitchen, dining room and a perfect terrace. The owner, Ruben is really helpful. Double room costs 30 CUC/night. It was very clean, and they cleant it every second day when we spent there 5 nights. Breakfest was standard, but with very fresh ingredients.

Its location is perfect in Habana Vieja, altough is pretty noisy, but I guess, it's like everywhere in the centre. If you are looking for a calmer area, check Vedado. Highly recommanded.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is a two-bedroom apartment with a roomy bathroom by Cuban standards, with a cozy kitchen and a wonderful balcony. We had many nice meals in the dining area. There isn't a "living" room to sit on a couch, so we mostly gathered in one bedroom when we watched TV, or just visited at the dining table. The balcony, being three floors up, gave an authentic view of Cuban life, with a breeze keeping it cool. The kitchen is small, and only one person can really cook at a time or wash dishes. We had most everything we needed to cook. I had taken plastic baggies and they came in handy for leftovers. We also didn't have dish drying towels.

I was able to walk just a few blocks to see the landmark places of Habana Vieja, plazas, shopping, restaurants, etc... I didn't find a "paladar" restaurant I liked. Just two blocks away was a busy pedestrian street with souvenir / art shops. I spent some days alone and always felt safe. Other days I was with Cubans.

I tried to save money by cooking at home, but it was difficult to buy groceries or find food to cook. For example, I never was able to buy eggs or chicken... My Cuban friends would go out and come home with meats, fried rice, etc... Without Cuban help I don't think the kitchen would be practical.

I'm not in the best shape so climbing three flights of steep stairs was sometimes difficult and I usually had to rest on the way up, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with physical challenges in walking or climbing stairs. One day I woke up to street repairs. It went on all day, so I went out most of the day. It was completed in one day, thankfully. Since Habana Vieja is in poor condition, it is to be expected that there are constant repairs going on, and even some danger from the deteroriating buildings.

Once in the apartment, it was very clean, modern décor, great bathroom (very roomy, hot water with good water pressure), and two rooms if needed.

The owners are next door, just a doorbell away, and were very helpful and always happy to provide anything needed (a big knife to cut a pineapple, an iron, etc...) The apartment was cleaned and towels replaced every two days.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the apartment Lamparilla. It made visit to Habana special and unique.

Room Tip: One room has a double bed, and the other has two twin beds. Neither is connected to the restroom.