“Excellent casa in the heart of Havana Vieja”
Review of Casa Emilio

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Casa Emilio
Ranked #572 of 702 Havana B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed at Emilio's with two friends in November 2013. We stayed for a total of 5 nights (4 at the beginning of our Cuban trip, and 1 at the end, after visiting some other cities).
We had to climb up 3 flights of stairs to reach the lobby, where we were met by a kind gentleman who welcomed us and checked us in.
Our room was spacious and clean but the toilet didn't have a seat cover and the shower didn't have hot water. We didn't expect the best amenities when we decided to go to Cuba so overall, this didn't bother us very much.
Breakfast was absolutely gorgeous, especially when compared to some other casas we stayed at in Cienfuegos and Santa Clara. We were served fresh guava juice, coffee, buns, eggs and a fresh fruit salad - absolutely yummy!
Dinner is also excellent, cooked with love by the resident cook, who is always smiley and happy. The beans soup (with cerdo) was out of this world and the chicken was also very tasty - best dinner we had in Havana!
Location is perfect, a couple of streets from Obispo, the main road in Havana Vieja.
It is to be noted that when we came back for the 1 night stay, we were given a different room on the ground floor which had been refurbished to European standards - modern, sleek bathroom with hot water in shower and toilet seats. I think all the rooms are in the process of being refurbished at the moment so the standards are probably going to go up in the coming months. It is a bit of a shame, since the first 4 nights felt more adventurous (and gave us some funny travel stories) but I have to admit that it was nice to have a hot shower.
I should also mention that all the staff at the casa were incredibly nice and friendly. Fidel, the barman, is a good laugh. Very friendly team, wouldn't go anywhere else the next time I'm in Havana!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Casa Emilio

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very warm recommendation for a Casa in Havana, we are a young couple and we got back recently and we must recommend this casa.

The main problem in Cuba in Accommodation is communication with them, in principle Citizens are not Allowed access to the Internet and such access is by improvisation ("kombina").

Highly recommended is to determine and book a place to stay at least for the first night in Cuba because it usually Asked in airport when landing.

We were in Emilio's casa –Emilio is a great guy who lives in a good neighborhood of Havana (Vedado ) –he even has a doorman at the entrance to the Building, right on the Malecon promenade on the sea front . It has an e-mail (improvisation -because of this e-mail name is not his name ) and he Checks it every day . Beyond excellent location of the apartment ( Floor 9 - The apartment is on the entire floor and you can see a view of all Havana and the sea 360 degrees) Emilio loves Israelis and love to host and goes out of his way to help you in everything from maps to print the tips and points of view in Havana through calling for taxi and book you Other places to sleep in all of Cuba. Home has 3 spacious accommodation includes a suite toilet and shower Air Conditioning and TV. The price is 25 Cook overnight. Oh and of course he speaks very good English (and some Hebrew ) is a retired water engineer and now deals only with hosting .

A Drive from the airport Takes Abouts 30 minutes and costs about 25 Cook, arrange with him before and he also checks to see when the flight just landed and will wait for you on the porch at his home.

The place itself is superb to stay in Havana is located in the best neighborhood of Havana and very safe walk at night , half a minute from the Malecon and 3 minutes from the famous hotel .
25 min walk to the old town or 5 minutes by taxi / bus
And for those interested there is a synagogue in the Street near about 2-3 min walk

Another recommendation is a Tower lookout two streets from the Casa it has a Restaurant and Pub on the top floor 40th floor or so ... Very impressive views of Havana especially at sunset, free Entrance and drink & food prices are not expensive.

Shortened highly recommended !
Emilio's details are ;
Cel : 053 912 764

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ariel h
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We chose a casa particular because we wanted a more interesting, authentic experience than a big hotel, but Casa Emilio is fantastic because it looks and feels more like a boutique hotel. Like everything in Havana, the crumbling exterior gives no indication of what you'll find inside - a stylish, eclectic space decorated with antiques and lovely, whimsical mermaid paintings. Our room had tall wooden doors that opened onto a central courtyard, powerful AC and a spotless bathroom. It was perfectly quiet at night - nice for getting a good night's sleep after a long day of exploring (the bed was a bit uncomfortable, but what can you expect given the limitations in Cuba?). Breakfasts were great, but the highlight is definitely the roof-top terrace. We spent a couple of hours up there every night before or after dinner, and they served us the best mojitos we had in Havana (bonus is the super-friendly dog, who will jump into your lap if you let him). We also ate dinner here one night and it was one of the best meals we had. The location couldn't be better, obviously, but it's the attention to detail in this place that really elevates it. The staff were wonderfully helpful, from setting us up with a taxi for an early-morning flight to making restaurant reservations. I bet as word gets out, the rooms will book up months in advance, and I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room - especially for sleeping in - ask for one of the rooms along the courtya...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellingjourno10
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We spent several nights in this casa and the staff and food were great. It's in a perfect location, very central and easy to get to the sights. The room and service were very good, but it's a busy place and quite noisy at night.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Toniabalone
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We arrived here 5 hours later than we had confirmed due to a delayed flight and a 2 hr wait at customs (that was fun...) and after finding the street and parking our car we rang the doorbell, walked up one narrow crumbling flight of stairs, realised we'd rang his neighbour's doorbell by accident and were directed to the top floor. (for reference, Emilio's is the middle silver doorbell). We were greeted by a brillliant smiling barman with limited English to our non-existent Spanish who through excellent sign language showed us around the casa. Emilio is effectively an antiques collector - he has so many beautiful pieces it is really breathtaking - we were very pleasantly surprised to find what we did at the top of the 2 flights of stairs! Our room was ample sized, the bed one of the more comfortable ones during our stay in casas in Cuba and had a decent bathroom. The only critiques are low water pressure (on the 3rd floor) and poor fitting bed sheets. The breakfast was willingly served at anytime we turned up, was consistent in price and content to other casas. The reason this casa gets top marks though is because of the excellent roof top terrace, with perfect mojitos and the very engaging owner. One of the best things about staying in casas is the opportunity it provides to talk to Cubans, however not all have good English/inclination to talk honestly to travellers, Emilio did. I really enjoyed my time here, and when we looked back over our vegetarian meals in Cuba, the beans and plantains in this casa were the best we had! Also amazing location in old Havana - we explored everywhere from here. We also had a car which we parked in the nearby square on 2 of the sides with no problems at all and without charge. I would go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raaharty
Reviewed 2 June 2012

i was there for 7 days ,it is a amazing place,nice people and great service with rooftop patio from you can see "el morro"" ,capitolio" and finally if you like art is the perfect place to enjoy with the art portrait decored rooms and halls

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Armando N
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I vacationed in Cuba for 10 days in February 2012. I spent my first 4 nights in Havana at La Casa de Ana (wonderful Casa/they were fabulous hosts), went out to Varadero for four beach days and had reservations to stay at Emilio's for my last 2 nights in Cuba.

When I made my reservations at La Casa de Ana's in Sept 2011, I asked Ana if she could recommend a Casa in Old Havana, thinking I would mix up my accommodations/locations a bit . She suggested Emilo's and forwarded me some pictures. The place look great in the pictures. After asking a few questions, and confirming Emilo spoke a little English, I made a reservation on Sept 19/11 for Feb 17/18 and received a confirmation of same.

On January 17/12 I received an e-mail asking me to confirm my reservations at Emilos's, which I did and again received a confirmation of my reservation.

Had a wonderful stay at Ana's, enjoyed my beach days at Varadero and arrived at Emilo's Feb 17/12. Met some people from Vancouver who were staying at Emilio's at the entrance to the Casa. They were kind enough to help me with my luggage up the 3 flight of stairs and I sort of slipped into the Casa behind them. After few minutes of milling around someone came out to check me in. They had a scheduling/reservation calendar with my name on it. No one spoke any English and the lady motioned me to follow her downstairs. I look at the guests from Vancouver who were equally as confused and they said they had never been downstairs.

I followed the lady down to the second floor where she rang another apartment. A lady answered who spoke no English and motioned for me to follow her. We went to a bedroom, she opened the door, showed me how the lock work and disappeared. I had just been bumped into a far inferior Casa and no one could or was prepared to speak English! Decided for the two remaining days of my vacation I would just make the best of the it.

After I got home I received an email from Ana. Ana tried to called me at Emilio's to find out how things were going and to ensure all was well. (they are such kind people) Emilio said that "I did not arrive at the house...and he thought that maybe I decided to stay elsewhere"
So....... not only did Emilio ignore my reservation, shuffling me off to a crappy Casa so he could book his 2 rooms to a group of Australians for 2 weeks, HE LIES ABOUT HOW AND WHERE HE DUMPS ME. Thank goodness no one really needed to contact me. What a [--]!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo