“A great hotel”

Ranked #9 of 79 Hotels in Havana
Ottawa, Canada
“A great hotel”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I was having problems booking a hotel for my trip of 30 days, so I thought I would try a few hotels .. just to see what they were like..

The Hotel Terral is a great hotel.. they say its a 4 star but I would say that it was a 5 star Hotel..
The I have stayed at most of the hotels in Havana and this has to be the best I have been to.
It does not have the old age characteristics of the National hotel or any of the older ones, it is a new modern Hotel.
I got a room on the 4th floor (401)..

The elevator is small but modern with no problems.

The room was very large with a walk-in closet, a separate wash area with two sinks a bath area and a very large bedroom with a large bed and couch.

The water is hot and plentiful, I loved the shower and Jacuzzi.
The bed was queen size and very comfortable with lots of pillows (10) plus extras in the closet.
The couch was large and very comfortable to sit on while watching the TV.
The small fridge was filled with everything plus there were packages of nuts to nibble on if you wanted too.

The balcony was wide and the full length of the room with 2 lounges on it.

There was very little noise from the Malecon. You really had to strain to hear it.

The breakfast was quickly served and well presented.
The chicken dinner I had one night. was one of the best meals I have had in Havana.

The faults of the Hotel.. Yes.. there were a few..

I was out one night and returned at 4:00 am. The shutters over the doors were down and no one was in sight.. After about 5 minutes of shaking the shutters, reception appeared and let me in.. I don't know why everything was locked uptight..
The tables in the restaurant do need glass tops, as another has already said, and I would suggest the seats get a cushion, as the wooden slats look nice but are hard to sit on for any length of time.

The staff were very good with the exception of asking me 2 or 3 times if I wanted the same thing.. They seemed to be a bit confused as to who was serving me.. I guess it was a case of to much service, and that is a rare thing in Cuba.

Would I recommend this Hotel?? Yes.. I would, but remember it is a bit of a walk to the old section of town and it is a very modern Hotel.

I took a few photos of the room I was in but they are not great..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank TopdogOttawa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
HALIFAX
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stopped off at this new Hotel during my January trip to Havana. Read about it in CubaAbsolutely website. Front desk staff very helpful and informative He had another staff member show us a room. It was facing the Malecon and you could see the ocean from the bed. Looked like all the rooms were similar. Decor was very modern and clean with small balconies on two sides of the room. Really nice. This is a small hotel but has fantastic views and is very central ( between Old Havana and Vedado on the Malecon) . I can imagine people-watching on the Malecon in the evening while relaxing in my room . We really felt we were "away" from the noise of the traffic and people so soundproofing must be good.There is a restaurant and bar on the first floor. Staff seem nice and friendly. All in all a good place to stay and I will definitely do so on my next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SCOTTYHalifax
Trinidad, Cuba
Reviewed 20 February 2013

had a very warm welcome at this new hotel.The staff were very friendly and some of the best mojitos served here.Breakfasts good and dinners.It is on the malecon so a short walk to the main squares .Highly reccomend this hotel

Room Tip: The rooms tend to be on the front so the traffic can be noisy,just keep the windows closed
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Curacao
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Last december I stayed here with a group of friends ans we were all delighted with the hotel. Location is nice on the Malecon, all rooms (14) with seaview, nice interior & decoration, Japanese styling, small restaurant with a good kitchen and very friendly staff.
For breakfast enjoy this special breakfast or a-la-carte as you wish. Lunch & dinner? They have sushi too!
As a agent I have almost had all hotels in Havana, in this category 4* Terral is TOP! Can you spend more? Take the junior suite, lokks like you are on board of a cruiseship as you do not see the street below.

Room Tip: the junior suites as you see no street and it looks like you are on a cruise ship
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank GeorgeCuracao
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The staff members were incredibly friendly and helpful. They felt more like friends than staff, and their charm added an immense amount to the value and experience of my trip. Additionally, the hotel's amenities are extremely nice, as the building is very new. The mattresses are soft, the showers and water quality are exceptional, room size is great, and the view is amazing. The entire facility looks and feels very clean. The food service is fine gourmet, and very well-priced. I did not encounter a single negative experience staying here, and I stayed nearly a week. You receive way more value than you pay for, compared to many other hotels in Havana.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the Malecon. The suites on the top of the building have amazing balconies...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Shan A
Hotelterral, Director Comercial at Hotel Terral, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear Shan:
That you have felt among friends is the reason for that we work. Your words are our greatest reward . Thank you to share your opinion with the community of Trip Advisor.
All of us will be very happy to see you again.
We hope you come back and be assured that you will find friends here.
Receive you a warm hug from the whole Terral Team.
Yuni.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 14 January 2013

There are only fourteen rooms in this lovely and private boutique hotel in Havana. It looks out over the Malacon and is removed from the hustle and bustle of Havana. Interestingly, I was ready with ear plugs, did not experience any sleep disruption due to noise, as a previous reviewer wrote. Breakfast is included, with espresso service, and I enjoyed the fact that only hotel guests are present in the small lobby and restaurant (great security). I spent my last night at the Hotel Saratoga, which is more of a "luxury hotel", but I am glad that the bulk of my nights were spent at Terral.

two recommendations for management: 1)improve the water pressure in the showers; and 2) insert the glass in the restaurant table tops.

Room Tip: we have the two top floor suites (411 and 412). Large rooms and spacious terrace.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank safetravel
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed in three hotels in Cuba, including the Hotel Nacional - this was by far the best.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the location looking out to sea across the Malecon is brilliant.

We had one of the junior suites on the fourth floor, which we highly recommend. It was a huge set of rooms, with a lovely bed, a sofa, a dressing room, and all the usual appurtenances (except Wi-Fi, but that's hard to come by in Cuba). It was possible to sit in bed and look out to sea, or sit on the large terrace. The finish on the room was much better than anywhere else we found in Cuba.

It is a busy road outside, but from the fourth floor it was no trouble to us, and having just flown from Europe we slept soundly until well into the morning. We then had a very pleasant, and very filling, breakfast.

The food was excellent too. Seafood was the speciality, and in the evening we had a mixed seafood dish that was just lovely. The restaurant is very small, so booking is a good idea.

We just wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: There is an extra charge for the junior suites, but it is not much. Treat yourselves!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple