“A Gem, with the right room...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
Hotel Beltran de Santa Cruz
Ranked #25 of 80 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The location is in perfect in the heart of Havana Vieja only steps from the Plaza.

The hotel itself is extremely charming with the rooms surrounding a quiet courtyard.

I was fortunate to get a large room at the front of the hotel with a large terrace overlooking the narrow street. All other rooms that I had seen were a bit small and dark with half the charm as the large room facing street side. I would only stay here again if I had that room.

Room Tip: It's a must to get a room facing the street with a balcony or terrace.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Neil_Travels

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We had a great stay in this excellent place. It's near Playa Viella and in the centre of the city.
The people are friendly, the breakfast is great.

We had room 4 , nice and clean room

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kevertje
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We arrived in Havana after a very long journey and 3 hours delay with Cubana.

The receptionist told us that our room was out of order and that we would stay in another hotel far out of the city.

Knowing that they practice overbooking in Cuba, I asked to see the room to see that it was out of order with my very eyes. The answer was: "I don't have the key". I then asked to see the manager: "He is not there". I asked to call him: "He doesn't have a phone".

After asking the receptionist if he thought that I was stupid, I started shouting my head off. There was no way that I would stay in some ugly hotel far from the historic district.

He tried to call a few hotels part of the Habaguanex group they are working with but they were all full but the one where he wanted to send us to.

We figured out what they were doing after meeting two other couples who had the same experience: they accept your reservation because they are the best location in Havana and they then pretend that your room has a problem when you check-in in order to fill the other crappy hotels of the group where nobody wants to go to.

We ended up staying at the Sevilla because I made such a scene that the poor guy finally gave up.

The next day, we came back to the Beltran because we originally had a reservation for 2 nights. We got the room this time and a dinner for free in their restaurant (bad food by the way). The place is beautiful, so is the room but they need to do something about the bathroom. It's not pleasant to take a cold shower either.

My rating 1 out of 5 is justified for malpractice and everybody should know about it.

f you want to be sure to have a room in Havana, stay at the Sevilla!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LaurentCL2
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We spent three nights here and it provided much more of an insight into what Havana is all about than one of the more modern 'glitzy' hotels that are appearing in the city. It is located in the Vieja quarter which is perhaps one of the more interesting areas with plenty to see within walking distance.

The building was a large private residence in pre-revolution days and with its internal courtyard has something of a Moroccan riad about it. It is old, it has character and is somewhat shabby in places - but what isn't in Havana?

Our first-floor room was perfectly adequate, not too well lit, overlooked a narrow street and faced onto some typical Havana tenements. Although no cars passed the building, there was a fair amount of street noise and the sound of traditional music from a band in the nearby square was omni-present. Light sleepers may find it intrusive, we just enjoyed the buzz.

The bathroom was far from modern, the bath (and wash basin) lacked plugs - this seemed par for the course - so the hand-held spray had to double as a shower.

The staff were generally helpful, made restaurant bookings, organised taxis, recommeded places to change our money into CUCs and were generally welcoming. One poor chap made several uncomplaining visits to our room when we had problems with the safe, due to our incompetence. A couple of staff had rather more English than we had Spanish which was a bonus.

The only meals we took there were breakfasts which were OK, but we did have better elsewhere in Cuba.

If taking a taxi to the hotel, some drivers do not realise they can actually drive to within 10 meters of the hotel door. You may find yourself dropped a 7/8 minute walk through back streets, as we were. As usual in Havana, there was someone happy to earn a few CUCs carrying our bags.

** Wherever you stay, do remember to pack a travelling bath plug **

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank le-pecheur-Villepot
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My Husband and I arrived at Hostal Beltran De Santa Cruz to check into the suite that we had pre-paid for over the internet. We had opted for the most expensive room...well we all like to treat ourselves! When we arrived, we handed over our voucher.The receptionist looked a bit 'shifty' whilst in conversation with her colleague about our booking, which clearly detailed the room we had booked. She then started gushing about the room being her favourite. We were tired and very much looking forward to being comfortable after a long trip. We were then shown to our room. it was immediately apparent that this was not the room we had booked, but in fact the cheapest room in the house. I had spent alot of time researching before we left so knew the hotel and it's rooms inside out...if only from pictures! I politely said that this was not the room we booked....they insisted yes. The receptionist was rude and even started shouting at me...even though I remained polite. I then exclaimed that I had never been treated with so much disrespect and I did not take kindly to being treated like a dumb tourist. To cut a long story short we were located to a Sister hotel 'Los Frailles'...pleasant enough, if not a little dark and dingy. Do yourself a favour if you go to Cuba, stay with the locals in Casa Particulares...a much cheaper and friendlier option.
On the plus side I did complain via the agent we had booked with and they did refund me $250 out of the $420 paid.
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ShelleyBarnes
Reviewed 15 May 2011

The check-in process was smooth. The Bellboy assisted us with our luggage. The room was large and clean. The Director of Housekeeping was waiting for us in the room to welcome us. She gave us two bathrobes and asked if we needed anything. We thanked her and she left the room. Nice amenities were placed in the room along with a welcome card. The bathroom was old and outdated, with very weak maintenance issues. The water in the toilet ran all the time and there was no hot water in the shower.

The next day, we woke up to the same issues in the bathroom (running toilets and no hot water). We went for breakfast. The staff was very nice but breakfast was really poor (one coffee, white toast, one mini croissant).

Later on our way back to the hotel, we asked the agent if the hotel had been able to fix the water problem. She was very surprised as she had thought that the problem had already been solved. She offered to move us to a different hotel in the city, which we declined as we were leaving the following day

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HongKongStars
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Straight from Europe in winter it's great to have breakfast in the patio with the flowers & parrot. Yes, things take time, but it's a holliday, ok. Not all the bread was fresh and some burned but at least they do make the effort to put it in the oven. A choice of eggs, not always what we thought we asked for, but then we had to ask in Spanish; we liked the tortilla - or was it the omelette which had the onions, peppers and pineapple added?
No problem getting tea or good coffee or a second serving of it.
Staff was friendly, helpfull and efficient with information, arranging taxis, adjusting AC and so on. When we wanted to change money they adviced us to go to the bank or an ATM because the hotel rate was very bad. Isn't that kind? Also the first night we ate the chicken dinner witch was simple and tasty. We had no CUCs and couldn't put it on the room. The waiter/cook said it was no problem to pay him two days later, he would than be in the kitchen again.
We paid extra to have the junior suite which has a small balcony overlooking the nice street (only pedestrians, so not much noice but you can hear the music from the old square or people talking Spanish in the street) and a separate livingroom which we didn't use. The furniture is Spanish and old. All the rooms have nice stone floors and low ceilings and some only have small windows in the double doors whitch open towards the patio on one off the inner balcony's. This is an 18th century mansion in the middle off town, still original so no (large) windows. If you are used to Hilton or Holiday Inn don't book this hotel. If you do love authenticity including some minor handicaps, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple