“You get what you pay for...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Experience Turquesa

Be Live Experience Turquesa
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Montreal, Canada
“You get what you pay for...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Varadero, a very nice destination where nice weather and wonderful beaches can be found! I’ve always enjoyed the culture and ambiance of Cuba and will always remember my trips over there! I went in September: prices are at their lowest but the weather is unpredictable (I was fortunate to have a blue sky for 7 days!)

Unfortunately, my experience at BeLiveTurquesa was not a pleasant one…

First: this is not a 4 star hotel. It may possess all the amenities of that rating: daily room cleaning, 24 hour reception/bar/food, gym, internet, room service, air conditioning…etc, but it lacks so many important details.

Staff, not necessarily friendly: they can be cold and without a smile (reception and restaurants). I often felt like I was disturbing them: service was slow, even if a generous tip was involved!

However, I did enjoy my daily coffee at one of the bars (barman was nice and devoted).

Animation, acceptable: Cubans entertainers/dancers are very talented…but I’m not a fan of those shows…I do like the gathering effect it provides: a place where many can meet and socialize.

Rooms: are old but clean (…clean? Well, at first glance yes, start looking, at you’ll see everything needs a deep scrub) Acceptable, since, in my opinion, rooms are just meant to go to bed and shower. I’m no heavy traveler in all inclusive hotels, but can conclude this is NOT a 4 Star kind of room!

Food…now this is mainly the reason why I rate this hotel poorly: the food was not good! I mean everything was not edible. Maybe I was unlucky the week I spent there, but seriously, at one point, felt like this was a joke! Breakfast, Lunch, Supper, every meal was a big deception: food was not fresh (they would simply mix up the left-over’s of the day before with new stuff) and there was not much variety. I actually lost weight after this vacation! When in Cuba, I indulge on fruits…but during that week; there was only cantaloupe, cantaloupe, and cantaloupe…sometimes pineapple or banana’s… all not fresh or ripe.

To summarize: Be live Turquesa is not a 4 star Hotel. It may, to Cuba’s standard, be at that level, but I believe it’s a lot closer to a 3 star. Service and rooms are acceptable and the quality of food is poor. However, I went to Cuba mainly for the culture, the cigars, the beach and the nice weather: I got all four, all week! So, instead of hanging on to all the negative stuff, I tried to enjoy the good sides of my trip. In all, “You get what you pay for”!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Mathieu E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We were there the week of May 26th to June 2nd, 2012.
This was my first time in Cuba and I really enjoyed my stay. We had a nice clean room on the second level close to the ocean, lots of hot water and a nice balcony. The only negative thing I can say about the room was that there was no screen on the patio door, I heard it's common in Cuba.
The best thing about our stay at this resort was the very nice friendly staff, specially at the entrance bar called the Mojito Bar. It was also very quiet and had a great beach. The food was ok but it could be improved.
All in all it was a great vacation and I will go back to explore another region of Cuba for sure.

Room Tip: Get a second level room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R S
Innisfil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Overall I still had a relaxing time at Turquesa, mainly because of the beautiful beach and friendly people. The management of the hotel is clearly trying to do without spending much. There was no entertainment for the tourists except dance shows in the evening - after they were done at 10:30 pm, u had a choice of either sleeping, getting wasted by yourself or going to Varadero, which means spending more money on bars and clubs. All inclusive should be ALL inclusive in my opinion and the 4 stars they have going on doesn't do them justice at all. I'm no big food critic, but when hygiene is an issue - you know it's bad. I got sick twice shortly after eating and no I don't drink much alcohol at all. One more thing that really got to me is that....I'm a generous person because I grew up poor and I know that every little bit counts. However I honestly think that Cuban people got too spoiled from tourists always giving them stuff that they're really crossing the line with the begging and crying, while they're wearing real gold bracelet and diamond earrings! I had the same person come up to me and ask for more things after I gave them a couple things the day prior! I understand we have a better living in Canada, but we're not hatching golden eggs here - we work hard for what we have! I think it's disrespectful to be taking advantage of tourists without shame, the very people who keep Cuba's economy running! Anyways...up to you if you want to go there or not, but I am definitely staying away from now on! Hope this was helpful

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank 101dum
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

This was my third time in Cuba - the first two times I went with my parents to Varadero (stayed at Breezes Bella Costa) and Cayo Coco (Blau Colonial). This time I went with a close friend - we're both 22 years old and just looking to relax for a week. Having gone in early May, there weren't many little kids, teens, or youth in general. We didn't mind, but besides a large Russian group we hung out with, there weren't too many people our age. The resort itself isn't that large (you can barely see it from the outside road), with almost a bungalow feel that stretches horizontally instead of upward. You can get from point A to point B anywhere in the resort in just 10 minutes. Overall we enjoyed our stay at Turquesa but I did like Bella Costa more and would probably stay there next time. It is by no means a horrible resort though.

ARRIVAL: The drive to the resort was 30 minutes from the airport which is standard. We got to the resort at 10:30am but check-ins are only at 4pm - a bit inconvenient but we just left our bags in the luggage room and headed to the beach. For those converting money, you'll definitely get the best rate at the Cuban airport. It was $20.65 for 20 pesos. If you forget, try the bank at the resort which will give a better rate than the front desk (10% service charge). The reception only gave 8 pesos for $10.

ROOMS: We booked with Sunwing and stayed in room 236 on the second floor. I've read reviews suggesting people request for a balcony room instead of ground floor. While other places include a safe free of charge, here you have to pay 2 pesos a day, so an extra 16 pesos for the week. The fridge is also not stocked with beer or pop. There's only a large bottle of water. Not a huge deal but just something to note. Our maid Margot was pretty nice, she once made us an elephant out of linen. The room was clean, had AC, and no musty smell or critters.

FOOD: The food in Cuba is pretty much the same anywhere you stay in Cuba, even if it's 5-stars. There are only a few minor differences. The selection here wasn't as varied as Bella Costa but it was ok, I mainly stuck with the grill food. My friend said there weren't too many veggies but that might just be the season. The dessert mostly included guava, thank god we like that fruit! The only minor complaint I had was the snack period between 3-7pm, which only had burgers/hot dogs. The same goes for the snack hours after dinner.

There are 3 a la carte restaurants (Italian, Cuban, Asian) but we only tried the Italian, having heard it was the best of the three. The salad bar there is extensive and the food was ok. You have to book at 9am on the day you want to eat at the restaurant. Not all three restaurants are available every day.

BARS: There are 3 bars - the one by the beach closes the earliest (early afternoon). As usual, bring your own mug if you enjoy larger portions. I recommend the coffee drinks which are amazing. They had a sign advertising a special "pina colada ice cream" dessert everyday from 12:30-5pm, but every time we went they never had it.

BEACH: Varadero probably has the best beaches overall in Cuba. Definitely a lot better than my experience at Blau Colonial in Cayo Coco, which wasn't as clean. The beach here is like the postcards - clean white sand, shallow light-blue water. Never had a hard time finding beach chairs since it wasn't peak season.

ENTERTAINMENT: The night entertainment was around 9:45pm every night. We didn't go every day but were there for the aquatic one and the romantic one which were pretty decent. As for excursions, we went on the Jeep Safari and the Havana colonial day trip. Both are around $70 and are well worth the money. For the safari tour, you get to drive jeeps (the vehicles are manual/standard), swim in a cave, visit a farm where you eat a Cuban lunch, visit the farmer's home, go on a boat ride, horseback ride, AND snorkel. All that in a day. My favourite part was when Janet, our tour guide, talked about "a day in the life of a Cuban farmer." She also gave insight into their way of life - average salaries, the two currencies, housing, traveling outside the country etc.

Going to Havana for the second time, I definitely had a lot more fun this time mostly because of the mild weather (last time was too hot) and Pedro, our informative guide. On our 2-hr ride there, he talked a lot about Cuban history - Spanish occupation, brief occupation by the British, Revolution, and relations with the U.S. Once in Havana you visit the Capitol, Revolucion Square, the hotel Hemingway stayed at, cigar/coffee/rum shops, the Cathedral. You also have lunch at a Cuban restaurant. Definitely a trip for those interested in history and architecture. When booking, using a credit card instead of cash will give you a better rate.

Finally, as is recommended by everyone once you get to the resort, it's worthwhile to get on the double-decker bus ($5 for the whole day) into town where you can walk around, visit the beach, or shop. You can also just rent a scooter and ride there.

DEPARTURE: When booking with Sunwing, be careful because they often have connecting flights which make the travel time much longer. The trip there was 3 hours but coming back, we stopped in Manzanillo and arrived in Toronto almost 6 hours later.

OVERALL: We had a great time in Varadero and our stay at Turquesa was nice. It was definitely sufficient for our needs. We're not really high maintenance. The service was friendly (never demanded tips), room was clean, food was decent, beach was beautiful. However, we wouldn't come back because we always like trying new places and because we've been to better resorts in the area.

I recommend travelers bring toothpaste, shampoo, soap, and/or feminine hygiene products for the workers - they definitely appreciate those the most because it's really expensive for them to buy. Old clothes, shoes, and toys are also appreciated.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank bha168
saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I have travelled lots and stayed in the most expensive places in the world.
However, we like to take a cheap winter holidays and we have been here twice. It's not the fanciest by far but we LOVED the beach and the water! The staff was great and we mostly drank beer and pina coladas but we figured out that if you ask the bartenders to make a "real" pina coladas the will take out the blender and do them right and they are very good otherwise they were from a machine and not so good. The rooms could use new beds that's for sure but all in all we enjoyed both our stays. I am a bit of a germ freak and actually just blew up an air mattress and put that on the bed. If your looking for a rowdy crowd this is not the place to come but if you are wanting some peace and awesome beach this is it! The buffet food is not the best except the buns they make are soooo good!!!!!!!!!!!! At night the a la cart is a great choice we enjoyed those nights and the food was just fine!!
I'm sure we'll be back next time we are looking for an inexpensive get away! I mean you couldn't beat the price!
Oh and one more thing we did notice a difference from our first trip to this last one and the staff told us they have new owners so I'm sure it'll just keep getting better!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank R W
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Warning: The details in this review may be graphic.

We traveled through Sunwing and the bus dropped us off from the airport to the hotel at 9 p.m. We entered what seemed to be an outdoor lobby...interesting - very dim and spooky! Once check-in was complete we were led to our rooms which were in the nearest building to the lobby on the second floor. Little did we know we were on death row walking up to the torture chamber. We had to bring our luggage up the staircase ourselves and saw small 'acorns' that we had to dodge as we went up. Me and my sister went into our room and the first thing I noticed was a red ant crawling up the wall, I killed it. I was fine but the worst was yet to come.....another ant appeared on the ground I stomped furiously. We then left the room to see how my parents’ room was. We told them of the incident but they thought we were crazy. As I was talking to my dad a medium sized bug was latched on to the ceiling. Jeezus. Ok this is getting creepy! We all return to me and my sisters room to find another red ant accompanied by a mosquito friend. They are killed in cold blood. My mother is trying to rationalize this whole ordeal "oh its just a couple bugs......." Dad : "its Cuba, what you expect!" Right in the middle of our huge argument I spot something hanging directly over our bed coming down on its web........a red spider. Everybody begins worrying, thinking about what we're going to do. We sit down and a minute later my mom shouts "Theres a huge bug climbing the wall right now!!" And there it was. A 3 and a half inch long black COCKROACH crawling up the wall right beside the bed. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I shuddered. My mother in a mix of anger and fear stormed out of the room. The only thing that came to mind were the lyrics from the song "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman..."We gotta make a decision, leave today or live and die this way".

After my mom and sister had to talk to the front desk for 20 mins they suggested that we spray the room with bug spray ourselves. Ya real classy, turquesa. It took 5 more minutes to get a maid to our room to spray it and our foes were killed but surely not forgotten. Because we didn't want to stay in the room and inhale noxious gas, we left to explore the travesty that is the turquesa grounds. It was almost abandoned and it was only 10 p.m. We fell upon a seedy outdoorsy nightclub, with creepy lone men. Sketchiest place I’ve ever been to. Went back to the room. No one got any sleep that night. The beds were stiff, the pillows were bricks and it all smelled musty. Like dead people, who probably died there. All I could think about was that we HAVE to leave this place.

The morning couldn't come fast enough and as I left the room to get breakfast I noticed something horrifying. Those 'acorns' I saw last night, about twenty of them were on each of the staircase. But they weren’t acorns my friends, they were BEETLES!!! Some trampled on, some still alive, others upside down struggling to get back up. For those of you counting, that’s over 26 bugs in one night. We’re not afraid of bugs, I mean it is natural and stuff I guess, but this is inside the room of a "4 star" resort? Surely, that is not up to code! At noon, we made arrangements with a very helpful Sunwing representative named David, to another 5-star and better resort!

The information we found in the Sunwing Catalogue misled us to book this resort as a four star, but I wouldn’t give any stars to this resort!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
21 Thank Nelson M

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

This resort to me is a 2 star. My first visit to Cuba and it will be my last visit to Cuba. The resorts bathrooms exspecailly at the bars were revolting and never any toilet paper. Very smelly they hardly cleaned them. The food was horrid, I had heard food in Cuba is not all that, but come on who wants to eat cockroaches with thier bread. Would ya like butter on that???? Gross... The room have bugs and flying earwigs. I had to turn lights on in the bathroom in the night time so when I got back I could have them all in one room, easier to kill. The fridge in the room never anything in them you have to bring your water bottle to bar to get water to brush your teeth in. As for the rest of the food there was very limited selection and good luck finding any good fruits, most of the fruit was stale and hard. Drink selection was not that great so i drank beer most of the time. The lemonade was good in the am but mid day was warm I guess the heat melted it. I have been to 4 stars in the dominican and This hotel was not a 4 star. Put it this way I could not get on the plane fast enough!!!!! Hope this helps.

Room Tip: No room at all would be good.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends