“Quiet and cozy, we had a nice time.”

Be Live Experience Turquesa
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Calgary, Canada
“Quiet and cozy, we had a nice time.”
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I took my parents, 5 seniors (their friends) and 1 young child there for a week (June 13-20). The beach was world class and the weather was hot and sunny. I picked this hotel based on the previous reviews on the web. It is exactly as I expected. It is a quiet place, small and cozy. People are very friendly. It is good for my group because I can easily find everyone and dinning hall and beach are both close to our rooms. It is an old place and maintenance is certainly needed but air-conditioning and shower worked well (what else do you need when you are on the best beach of the world?) and rooms, pool and beach chairs are cleaned everyday. The room is big and the bed is comfortable. The food had enough varieties so everyone could find things they enjoyed. Since I read some complains about plainness of the food, I asked my group to bring some chilly paste with them, but no one touched what they brought. Everyone told me they enjoyed the food. Maybe because they can not import vegetables from US, so the salad and tomatoes do not good perfect as we see in the store, but they taste better. There are 2 computers at the business centre, but the internet did not work all the time. The entertainment has a different theme everyday and it is entertaining.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank fym123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I took my daughter to this resort for her birthday and it was an amazing trip! We both found the food so yummy and there was always something new at the buffet. We dined one night at the Italian reastarant, my daughter had the lasgna and I had the spaggetti with meat sauce~sooooo good! For dessert the staff brought a cake over and wished my daughter a Happy Birthday!

we spent a lot of time at the beach and it was amazing, go early to save a chair though and if your not a morning person which we are not make friends with other guests who are : )

We rented scooters for the day and went into Varadera on our own and it was a wonderful fun day!

I have NOTHING bad or negative to say about our stay, it was WONDERFUL!!!!!!

We did bring two pillows with us, just 5.00 walmart pillows because the pillows in Cuba are very flat and then just left the pillows behind when we left. We both had great sleeps thanks to a tip from a friend on bringing pillows : )

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank inuk37
Ottawa
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I loved this place! It's small and friendly set in beautifully maintained gardens with a close family feeling. Our checkin was quick and trouble free, the porter escorted us to our apartment and took time to show us how everything worked. The apartment itself was spotlessly clean with a king size bed, fresh linen and fresh towels. The bathroom is a little old fashioned but clean and fully functional - there was plenty of hot water at all times. The room also has a TV with several english language channels and a mini-refrigerator pre-stocked with bottled water. Tania, our maid, was fantastic making us feel well looked after for the whole stay. She spoke very good english, kept checking that we were happy with everything and is an expert in towel sculpture!

We had been told not to expect very much from the food at the resort but were very pleasantly surprised with both the range and quality of the buffets throughout our stay. Breakfast had plenty of fresh fruit, pastries, eggs, pancakes and french toast together with a la carte omelettes and other grilled treats. Lunch and dinner both featured a huge range of fresh seafood including shrimp, fish, sardines and calimari. The pasta station was excellent and the deserts were really tasty. The ice cream and baked deserts in particular were fantastic. There was a shortage of red wine for the first couple of days so we had rose or beer instead. Once the truck arrived, however, there was more than enough for everyone and we even took bottles back to our room. The serving staff in the restaurants were excellent and could not have been more helpful or attentive.

From reading other reviews here there seems to be a common theme emerging. If you got sick there then I sympathise but it sounds as if they did everything possible by bringing medical staff on site free of charge. Don't forget that there is plenty of norovirus running amok in Canada at this time of year too so don't be too quick to blame it on poor hygiene standards in the resort. If something is not to your liking then just tell the staff and they'll do whatever they can to help you out within the bounds of what's available in Varadero at that time. If there's no red wine or a shortage of beach towels or lettuce at the buffet it's not the fault of the bar staff or the towel girl.

The beach is awesome and we found it easy to get chairs and sun loungers every day. They also kindly fetched fresh coconuts for us many times and often refused a tip.

No review would be complete without a couple of negative points but they're minor. There is a lack of information when you check in and you have to pick up on how things work by talking to people. No-one told us how to book for the a la carte restaurants or where to hand in our beach towels to get the receipt. The italian restaurant makes a good effort but lacked some of the ingredients to fulfil its menu - leading to some interesting improvisations. The asian restaurant is not good and they seem afraid of using any spices, even salt.

I took an excursion one day but woke up late and had to rush out to catch the bus in a hurry. I only realised later that I had left the room safe wide open with my passport, spare cash, tickets and credit cards lying in open view. When I got back they were all intact and undisturbed. I wouldn't trust that to happen in any Canadian, British or US hotel.

The shows are ambitious, weird and delightful. They also run on a schedule so the kids disco will take place even if there are no kids. During our stay they attempted Cats, the Hunchback of Notre Dame and an extraordinary water ballet which was a mixture of synchronised swimming and semi-naked review but it went down well with the audience.

The demographic at this resort is definitely middle aged to senior. There were few people in their twenties and only a few families with small children or teenagers. It's quiet at night as the entertainment comes to an end around eleven. There are only two bars but they'll concoct anything you want, or a reasonable facsimile given the ingredients they have to hand.

We loved it. I'd definitely return and recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HamishInOttawa
Brampton, on
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is my first vacation to Cuba, I really enjoy the time I spent there, people was friendly (more friendly when they know you from Canada cz we always left tips after meal, room service, bar.... and I think they deserved it, they worked very hard for it). Just the hotel was fault advertise on the net(4 star), I give them a 2 stars instead. Most the time we drove Scooter around to explore every corner of Varadero, sunbath and walk along the beach every stopped and enjoyed the nice side of Varadero instead of stay in the old hotel. Won`t come back Oasis Turquesa but Varadero for sure :)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KimGQ

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Was a shaky start as the tour folks used my middle name instead of my last name on the reservations.
The service made up for it, The staff here was great...and as far as the food went there was a great variety of stuff to eat. The fresh fruit and vegetables were fantastic especially the grapefruit.
Not much for the beef eater in me but lots of great fish and poultry dishes. an interesting type of pizza that was ok.
Desert hmmmmmm yes they have lotttsa sugar here people and they like to use it...mmmmmmmmmmgooood
The all inclusive is actually pretty good if you ask around you will find what folks call a hobby cat..small catamaran that a guy will take you out on. f you want to throw in 20cuc you will get to swim with dolphins and snorkel with some fish.
I would definitely return here.
I got an injury while there only cost 20cuc to get all the rocks out of my knee and elbow and get them sanitized and wrapped up..bothered the nurse more than me
Just a tip...practice patience and you will get great treatment nothing to do with their pay they are all just on a slow and easy pace..re the climate...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank scratchedlegguy
Antigonish, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2010

April 26 - May 4, 2010
When we booked out trip we had no idea what we were in for. When we got off the bus at the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised at how open and pretty it was. From the front desk clerks to the groundskeepers, we were treated like royalty. I have never met so many friendly people in one place ever!

Our room was spacious, very clean and air conditioned. The balcony was a perfect size. Jillian was the greatest housekeeper and always made sure the room was clean and fresh every day.

We never bothered with the al a cart as we were very happy with not only the food at the buffet, but the service could not have been better. By the 2nd day our server knew what we liked to drink with our meals, and by the time we got back from getting our food, the drinks were already on our table. Jose at the snack bar made great mini pizzas and that was our 4:00 treat every day :)

The nightly shows were great and the daily activities were available for anyone who didn't want to lounge around or leave the resort. Lots of fun and laughs.

If you are looking for nightlife and discos, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a relaxing place with great people and fun activities I don't think you would find a better place.

We can't wait until next year. We are going "home" to Turquesa

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TheresaMacEachern
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I've read some negative reviews on here, however, I had a completely different experience. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful to us - always saying hello, asking how our day was, and inviting us to take part in activities. The pool was fabulous, lots of room, different depths, different areas for relaxing and water games, and there were always chairs available in both the sun and the shade. The beach was amazing. Calm all morning with some waves in the afternoon. Again, there were always chairs available in the shade and the sun. We took out the paddleboats and had no problems, beach staff were great. Staff moved the chairs to where we wanted to lay and cleaned any sand off of them every morning for us. The bar on the beach was also great. Snack bar was always open, had decent quick foods - pizza, sandwiches, burgers, fries, etc. Bar staff was friendly and it was never too busy. The entertainment was incredible, better than any resort in Cuba or Dominican I had ever been to - different themes including dancing, 'circus' acts, and water shows. The food was okay, typical cuban resort food - if you want a vacation with gourmet food, don't do an island all inclusive!! All the staples were there - rice, potates, meat, salad, etc. Meat and omlettes done on the grill in front of you, and staff were quick to get drinks, etc. A la carte italian restaurant was fabulous, the asian wasn't really asian food but was still tasty. We had no problems with our room - it was clean, and everything worked. Got fresh towels and sheets every day, it was quiet at night, and the A/C worked perfectly. There was no problem getting fresh beach towels, we always exchanged them before 10am. One day around 9:30am they ran out, but brought new ones right to us at the pool within an hour. There is no disco on the resort which is too bad, but entertainment staff was always looking to take people out to the various discos and made sure everyone got home safe and sound. Did our own independent trip to Havana in a taxi (4 people for $140 pesos for the day) - the drivers often don't speak a lot of English, but its not hard to get by. If you speak Spanish, you'll quickly find they are extremely knowledgeable about Havana and Cuba, our driver gave us lots of historical information and great stories. I would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away and relax - we would definitely return!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends