“A fantastic resort!”
Review of Sol Palmeras

Sol Palmeras
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I stayed at the Sol Palmeras between 28th April and 5th May 2011 with my partner. This was my first experience at an all inclusive resort and I'm happy to say it was a good one! Initially from reading reviews I was a little sceptical however the week spent at the hotel was enjoyable and comfortable.

Our room was on the 4th floor. It was clean and stocked with fresh water. Noris, our maid, was friendly and made beautiful towel creations every day which was a nice touch.

The hotel is clean and although the buffet may not be to everyone's tastes, you can always find something you like. I avoided the attempts at British food as it wad nothing like home (obviously) but the fresh fish grilled to order was delicious.

The pool and beach areas were beautiful. The pool bar, although sometimes busy, had good service.

We took advantage of the excursions which were very good. The Havana & Pinar del Rio trip is a must (195.00 CUC pesos) as well as the Crucero del Sol (catamaran trip with dolphin interaction 101 CUC pesos) These were booked through our hotel rep but there are desks in the lobby that also sell excursions the prices are the same. There is also internet access, 2 pesos for ten minutes, although the internet is slow!

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and it was a shame we were only there for a week as I'd love to have stayed longer! Thank you Sol Palmeras it wad great!

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Kayleigh33
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for publishing on the Trip Advisor, your review about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.
We are very glad to know hat Sol Palmeras is the first All Inclusive hotel you stayed and that you were completely satisfied during your stay.
We appreciate all your comments about our hotel in general and the services we offer.
Wishing you choose our hotel again for your next holidays and tht you stay will be longer thn one week.

Reviewed 10 May 2011

I just returned from a one week stay at Sol Palmeras (May 1- May 8) with my fiancee. All I have to say is that it was the best vacation by far. Only a 25 minute bus ride from the Varadero airport which flew by thanks to our great guide Giandi. A big thanks also goes out to Ed at itravel2000.com who suggested this hotel in lieu of Barcelo Sol y Mar.

Hotel/Bungalow:
Love the fact that each zone has it's own garden or attraction. We were in Zone 5 and had the jacuzzi and massage area right at our door (Jorge and Hector were fantastic and so genuine), mini golf behind us, and the Chino restaurant/snack bar right around the corner. Very clean, comfortable and large. The bungalows were in need of some repairs but nothing major. Clean bedding, comfortable mattresses and sheets, clean towels (even extra ones for the shower since it leaked slightly, thank you Maritza you are so amazing). The main hotel was very open and airy, but still quite cozy, offering many places to sit and relax and enjoy the music/entertainment and drinks. Our walk to the beach was lovely, passing through the many gardens and bungalows. We had direct access to the area of the beach where the weddings were performed (and where my fiancee proposed). Gorgeous beach and water, quiet and relaxing. Great spot for snorkeling (cliffs, reefs, grotto etc). Please visit Noel at Guest Satisfaction, he was a pleasure to deal with when asking us how our stay was. There was a variety store and gift shop (with Rum and Cigars), a 'train' that shuttled you back and forth from Sol Palmeras and Plaza America.

Food:
Buffet-Always a vast selection of food, some repeats but it didn't matter. Always fresh, no flies like previously stated by other reviewers. We found the food extremely enjoyable and had no complaints other than there were so many choices. For those who complained about the food: 1. it's Cuba, don't expect gourmet meals, 2.there were so many alternatives available at the buffet that it's hard to believe all the horror stories.
We found that those around us(both at the buffet, in line, the lobby, pool etc) who complained were mainly the British.
Chino-Very good Chinese food, cute building and decor
El Marino-Fantastic food and service by far the best a la carte we have ever been to
Snack Bars (all of them) - Great selection of fresh fruits and burgers/fries/pizza/hot dogs. Diagny at Oshin snack bar was absolutely wonderful and a pleasure to talk to.

Bars:
Pool bar-great service and drinks, crowd was lively. Downside was it didn't have a swim up bar but that wasn't a big deal.
Lobby bar-great bartenders, bit of a wait but it's the lobby, always a busy place so the wait was expected

Entertainment:
The entertainment was amazing, the pool show, gymnastics, clown/magician. Makes Sol Palmeras a great hotel for families with young children. Activities staff were so friendly.

Overall we enjoyed ourselves and plan on returning to the Sol Palmeras in the future. After the wonderful experience that we had we will be back for 2 weeks next year and every year after that. Thank you to everyone there for making it so amazing.

Room Tip: E-mail Noel via the Sol Melia website for info
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lenamou

Dear Guest,
We appreciate that you have published and shared on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras hotel.
We are very glad to know you had the best holidays, as you expressed on your review.
Thank you very much for your comment about the bungalow where you stayed and the services we offer to our guests at the bunbgalows are number 5, which you described perfectly.
At the same time, we would like to thank you for your complimentary comments about the food at our buffet restaurant, as well as at our A la Carte restaurants in our hotel, and in particular at el Marino Restaurant.
We also thank you for your complimentary comments about our bars, our entertainment team, and for everything that you describe of the hotel and you liked.
We will congratulate on your behalf the persons you mentioned on your review.
Looking forward to seeing you in our hotel whwn you visted us next year and in many more occasions.
Truly yours,

Reviewed 10 May 2011

After reading last negative comments I decided to write mine.
We were staying (with my wife and another couple) in Sol Palmeras for 14 nights in March.
It was the best stay we ever had in Cuba!!! Lovely place, perfect location, clean rooms and good food. I don't understand how people can say that it was not possible to book any of the 5 a la carte restaurants??!!!! We were eating there every single night - just make sure you will book a table 2 days in advance and problem solved.
Beach is perfect, white sand a lot of sunbeds.
Pool - perfect, with nice, refreshing water.
Staff - very polite and extremely friendly and remember that if you are nice to people they are going to be nice to you but if you treat them with no respect do not expect a lot !
Best drinks in main lobby bar -- special thanks to Ernesto and Francie - they made our stay unforgettable and their professionalism and 5 star service skills should be recognized by Management.
We had a very good stay and we will definitely return. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!
Note for bad reviewers:
If you want to have spotless, quiet and pampering honeymoon next time book holidays in Maldives in one of the luxury resorts .............

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rafaldesign

Dear Guest,
we appreciate you have published on the Trip Advisor, your review about your stay at Sol Palmeras hotel.
Thank you very much for chooing Sol Palmeras for your holidays. We felt satisfied when we read that your life, your friends and you had fantastic holidays here.
We appreciate your complimentary comments about A la Carte Restaurants.
At the same time, we would also like to thank you for all your complimentary comments about the beverage we offer and for for your comments about ous satff, thank you very much for this. we agree with what you expressed on your review.
We promise we will congratulate on your behalf the persons you mentioned.
Thank you very much for recommending our hotel, and we hope to see you among us very soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2011

i have travelled in north america,south america,europe and asia. i have my own share of travel experience. this is a personal honest and objective observation of sol pameras:
NEGATIVE:
1. the front desk staffs border on being tired and being rude.smile for them is kept not given.
2. i checked in at 12:30 and got my room at 3:30 and still the room is not clean from the previous occupants.
3. if the the staffs from front desk are self absorbed, the staffs from the currency exchanged desk made me feel im a distraction from their job. alberto is the worst and rudest hotel staff i have ever met.beware of him.he is not apt for a service industry job.
4. most of the staffs addressed me as "chino," chinese in english. they addressed me a nationality and not as a respectful address. i thought at first it was a term of endearment, but later on i realised the difference in service i got.other guests,non asian looking got better service. i was tempted to call people who called me chino as "cubano/cubana."

POSITIVE:
1. BEACH is excellent!
2. Food is excellent! they got 5 places to get a chow.
3. Buffet staff are excellent. They made us feel welcome.( Asaer,olga,kirenia should give the front desk and currency exchange people tips on customer service.)
4. Pool is excellent!
5. Nightly entertainment is superb!
6. My room is clean.
7. Ramiro, the tennis pro, is a great person. Please tip him when you play with him.

I wont recommend this hotel to Asians or Asian looking guests who would be offended being addressed as Chinos or Chinas

Sol Palemeras is great in general but a definite maybe when it comes recommendation.

Room Tip: 1. tips will give you a better service,
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank ercru
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for publishing and sharing on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.
We regret very much thay your comments on your review are not satisfactory, we assure you that we will take the necessary actions, so that those things you mentioned would happen again to other guests.
I would like to tell you that I am sure the persons who called you ´chino´ di not say it with any offensive purpose, for them it is a kind way to address to someone, for local people it is also very common here to call all the persons from Spain´gallegos´, I am Spaniard myself, but I am not from Galicia, and on the streets I am called ´gallego´too. Anyway, we will work with our staff in our hotel on changing these expressions, so they use the appropriate words in each case.
On the order hand, we appreciate your complimentary comments on your review very much, what you expressed of our hotel in general and the services we offer. We will congratulate on your behalf the persons you mentioned, in particular Ramiro, the tennis trainer.
Hoping we have the opportunity to see you in our hotel again among us.

Reviewed 8 May 2011

Well, where do I begin. My husband and I are currently researching for our next holiday and came across this hotel and saw the mixed reviews and just had to share ours.

From start to finish we hated every second of our weeks stay. Large busy complex, with very poor service and poor food. Bedrooms where shabby and beds lumpy, with sheets that didn't fit the bed so you'd wake up tangled in the thing.

Staff not friendly at all. The food was just nasty, very salty and there was metal in mine on several occasions. My husband got sick from the food as well. There was a restaurant you could book, but it was fully booked most nights. We did get in one night we stayed but again food not good at all.

The building decor was dated and basic. Very big and empty feel to the main lobby areas, no atmosphere in the place at all. Felt like you were in an airport dept lounge. In the evenings there was a nightclub/bar that played very loud dated house music that echoed round the main lobby area and the reception bar, so we couldn't even enjoy a relaxing quite drink. This seemed to be a big attraction for the older chavvy couples, who seemed like they were trying to relive their youth on their holiday without the kids. There was this one older man (maybe around 50 or so) in shorts and a vest trying to rave but was so drunk he could barely stand.

There was a pool bar, but that wasn't that great either. Load holiday makers playing drinking games made this uncomfortable for me and my husband. We're not old, we were in our mid to late 20's when we went.
We hoped for a romantic week in paradise but we got the complete opposite. I cannot stress how nasty and vile this place was.
If you like BIG impersonal resorts with food that is very basic and salty, then this is the right place to go.

One plus, the beach was stunning, but you had to walk down away from the main crowds to get that peaceful romantic holiday feel.
Resort is a long 2 and a half hr drive from the airport, you can stop but our driver left the choice to everyone on the coach and majority said no stop so we didn't. We wanted to, as a drink and a toilet stop would have been welcomed.

We would never go back and very much regret spending money going here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
13  Thank LW1982

Dear Client,
We appreciate very much that you have published on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Palmeras hotel.
First of all, we would like to apologise sincerely for not having fulfilled your expectations during your stay here. We honestly regret you did not enjoy your holidays.
On the other hand, we thank you for all your comments, although not favorable about our hotel, they constitute an opportunity to know where we can direct our efforts to improve our work.
By reading your review, we understand that most of your remarks depend on the preference of people, because some persons prefer a kind of food and others a diferent one.
Maybe there are some guests who are not used top drink and take the sun shine for a long time, and then they write a review expressing they felt ill because of the food. I am sure this is nos your case.
i would like to inform you that your review will be trhoughly analyzed with all our are managers involved, and we will take the necessary actions in order to solve the dificulties and no others guests will have the same opinions as yours.
We work each day to improve the service for all our guests, which are many each day, but unfortunately, we did not fulfill our goal with you.
We wish you give us another opportunity to be your hosts agian, so you can confirm that our hotel is capable to fulfill your expectations.

Reviewed 6 May 2011

My Husband and I went to Sol Palmeras April 18 for 11 days on our honeymoon bad decision, 11 days that I couldn’t wait to come to an end. Our first day we walked into this unpleasant unwelcoming hotel we got there around 1pm and had to wait until 4pm to get a room. Staff at front desk very rude not helpful at all and don’t speak English very well. Since we had to wait for the room we decided to walk around and go eat, we went to the beach bar had a burger and fries or should I say “Death Burger” don’t eat it you will puke after and feel extremely sick.
Then we finally got our room the hallways down to the room very out dated dirty maids smoking in the hall ways. Our room was the worse honeymoon suit I have ever seen… Out dated smelled like sewer there were bugs and we had no safe key. They had lost it had to wait till the following day to get one and they were so rude about it.
Trying to call front desk was the worst no answer only after the 4th try maybe. My husband got sick throwing up three times from the disgusting buffet food & no one seemed to care. The food was just horrible very repetitive and always gave us both the runs or puking. We had to complain three times in order to get our fridge stocked with just water limited towels were provided for the bathroom. Some of the maids we encountered extremely rude no manners at all. We had dinner at the Italian restaurant food was okay on our way out the floor was wet I fell and hurt my knee really bad the waiter standing right there showed no sign of concern. We went to the front desk to notify them no one cared. The beach was beautiful but not well kept cups plates all over the sand. Never in my life have I experience such bad service in Cuba I have been there two times before this Vacation and stayed at Barcelo Solymar AMAZING!! Boy did we regret not going there. We came back to Toronto went to the doctor the following day because we were both so sick with diarrhea and nausea only to find out that we had food poisoning. I would not recommend this place to anyone this is a 2star horrible place.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Pina0

Dear Guest,
your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.
First of all, we would like to apologise honestly for not having fulfilled your expectations in such an important event for you, which is your Honey Moon.
After having read your review thoroughly, with all our area managers, we assure you that we will have take the necessary corrective actions with the responsible persons, so that no other guests would suffer the same inconveniences.
Thank you for your review, we appreciate it very much. It is valuable for us to know where we can direct our efforts on the supervision to improve our daily work.
We regret that, on your third visit to Cuba, you could not enjoy your holidays as you said you did at the other hotel, which, in our opinion, the hotel you mentioned has lower quality standards than Sol Palmerasand also the treatment of our staff is kinder.
Hoping you give us another opportunity to be your hosts again, so we can satisfy this time your expectations in our hotel.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

The service was good especially if you got to know the servers, and you tipped regularly...

The Italian A la carte restaurant was horrible though... Best restaurant was El Marino BY FAR!

The bugalows are very quaint, and make this resort really special, the beach is not too busy, and is stunning.

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaly100

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for publishing on the Trip Advisor, your comments about your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.
We inform you that we took note of your remark about our Italian Restaurant.
We appreciate all your complimentary comments about our restaurant El Marino, thank you very much, and we also appreciate that you recommend our bungalows.
Whising you choose our hotel again for your next holidays. Receive best regards.