I read these religiously when choosing a resort so I figured I should give my opinion as well. First, people who complain about the food and the resorts not being an actual 4-5 start should not be going down south.. it is what it is.
Room: We got a bungalow, I would 100% advise people to get a bungalow.. they were much cleaner and newer than the rooms.. I would have disliked the resort if I was in a hotel room. We were in the actual LAST bungalow. Honestly, if you can complain about a 7 minute walk, I would say you have bigger things to worry about.. the exercise never killed anyone. It was decently clean, I think we saw 3 ants the whole week and very quiet.. which is why we wanted it. One down fall of our room were the beds, they were hard as a rock. Our friends in the hotel had much better beds (damp though). I slept the first two nights due to being exhausted however the rest of the nights were short sleeps..this was not a huge issue for me, id rather be up and enjoy the day anyway.
Food: Cuba food is Cuba food. We had NO issues getting a la carts, and you can actually book them 2-3 days in advance. I actually preferred the buffet due to the choice, being a fussy eater. Big con was their fruit selection, it was very minimal and lacking. Either way I had no issue finding something to eat, mostly pasta and bread.
Pool: We only swam in the pool once, it is very hot up there and not many chairs.
Beach: LOVED the beach.. got up every morning and put our towels down around 7am before the gym. If you sleep late, you won't be getting a chair.. if you sleep past 7-8 you won't be getting a little hut. Early afternoon the winds pick up and it is perfect down there.
Activities: We played volleyball daily, besides that the resort lacked activities BIG TIME in comparison to other resorts I have been to.
Entertainment: Possibly the worst resort I have ever been to for nightly entertainment.. it was lacking and just all around not good.
Staff: From desk staff are not the best to be honest, rather rude. However, the bar tenders are amazing, friendly and great people.
Resort: I thought the grounds were beautiful and very well kept.
Gym: I was at the gym every morning, it is new and nice. However my bungalow was much cooler than the gym, I thought I was going to faint by the end of my run every morning.. something has to be done with that!
Overall I had a good trip, beautiful beach, good drinks and lots of sun.. that is what we went down for. Would I go back to this resort, no. But that is only because I would much rather somewhere with more daily activities and entrainment which cater to a younger audience such as the 20-30 year old age range. In addition to the resort in general catering to an older population.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Varadero Beach, this 4 star, all inclusive hotel offers all of the great dining, activities and entertainment facilities that have made Sol Melia a recognized leader in quality hotels! Ideal for families and honeymooners. 376 comfortable double rooms, 28 junior suites, 4 suites and 200 bungalows with direct access to the beach. 6 Restaurants, 7 bars, mini club and mini-disco, mini-golf. Motorized water sports. Sol Palmeras combines great fun with a beautiful beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Melia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your Sol Palmeras reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Palmeras Hotel Varadero
- Sol Palmeras Cuba
- Sol Palmeras Varadero Cuba