“Honest Review” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, Canada
“Honest Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I read these religiously when choosing a resort so I figured I should give my opinion as well. First, people who complain about the food and the resorts not being an actual 4-5 start should not be going down south.. it is what it is.

Room: We got a bungalow, I would 100% advise people to get a bungalow.. they were much cleaner and newer than the rooms.. I would have disliked the resort if I was in a hotel room. We were in the actual LAST bungalow. Honestly, if you can complain about a 7 minute walk, I would say you have bigger things to worry about.. the exercise never killed anyone. It was decently clean, I think we saw 3 ants the whole week and very quiet.. which is why we wanted it. One down fall of our room were the beds, they were hard as a rock. Our friends in the hotel had much better beds (damp though). I slept the first two nights due to being exhausted however the rest of the nights were short sleeps..this was not a huge issue for me, id rather be up and enjoy the day anyway.
Food: Cuba food is Cuba food. We had NO issues getting a la carts, and you can actually book them 2-3 days in advance. I actually preferred the buffet due to the choice, being a fussy eater. Big con was their fruit selection, it was very minimal and lacking. Either way I had no issue finding something to eat, mostly pasta and bread.
Pool: We only swam in the pool once, it is very hot up there and not many chairs.
Beach: LOVED the beach.. got up every morning and put our towels down around 7am before the gym. If you sleep late, you won't be getting a chair.. if you sleep past 7-8 you won't be getting a little hut. Early afternoon the winds pick up and it is perfect down there.
Activities: We played volleyball daily, besides that the resort lacked activities BIG TIME in comparison to other resorts I have been to.
Entertainment: Possibly the worst resort I have ever been to for nightly entertainment.. it was lacking and just all around not good.
Staff: From desk staff are not the best to be honest, rather rude. However, the bar tenders are amazing, friendly and great people.
Resort: I thought the grounds were beautiful and very well kept.
Gym: I was at the gym every morning, it is new and nice. However my bungalow was much cooler than the gym, I thought I was going to faint by the end of my run every morning.. something has to be done with that!

Overall I had a good trip, beautiful beach, good drinks and lots of sun.. that is what we went down for. Would I go back to this resort, no. But that is only because I would much rather somewhere with more daily activities and entrainment which cater to a younger audience such as the 20-30 year old age range. In addition to the resort in general catering to an older population.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jaclyn M
Dear guest,

We appreciate all your comments about your stay, at Sol Palmeras Hotel, published on the Trip Advisor.

We are glad to know, you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, although you said you have no intention to come again.

I would like to inform you, that we already have new sun beds and chairs at the beach and at the swimming-pool.

Thank you very much for your opinion about our bar tenders, and we apologise for the Reception staff that were rude with you, as you expressed.

At the end of your review you said you enjoyed your holidays, but that you have no intention to return, so we kindly ask you, to give us a new opportunity to be your hosts again, and I assure you that you opinion would be different, because we will have a new entertainment program.

Tomeu Alcina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Halifax Region, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the soul Palmeras the April 11 to the 18th overall it was a very decent experience.

The first night there was a mixup with the room we were put in the bungalows which we found very dated and far away from the main hotel this was rectified the next day and we are put into rooms on the fourth floor. The rooms in the main building are very clean although they are a bit dated much better than the bungalows though.

We found the food at the buffet was decent there was never a day where you would go hungry there was always something you could find. the à la cartes were excellent my preference would be first the steakhouse second the Chinese third the Mexican forth the Italian. A word of caution for the Chinese food restaurant when ordering, order one plate for the entire group this wasn't explained to us when we ordered our food and we ended up with 20 plates of food for five people.

The beach was extremely well-kept as well as the grounds the pool was very clean and we had no trouble finding beach chairs a as long as you were up at around eight or nine in the morning.

Excursions were put on very well the Havana tour was great and the jeep tour was a bit of a long day but still enjoyable.

It has a bit of a small resort feel which is great as everything is really close as long as you're not stuck in the bungalows.

If we were to return to Cuba we would probably come back to this resort as we found it very very comfortable and relaxing.

As you can probably tell my biggest advice for anybody visiting this resort would be to avoid the bungalows at all possible unless you were close to the main building and we found them very, very isolated and very dated.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John S
Dear guest,

We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay at Sol Palmeras Hotel.

We kindly apologise for your first night in our hotel.

Your review, which was published on the Trip Advisor is very appreciated, thank you very much.

Hoping you visit our hotel again to stay on your holidays, receive best regards.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel is fine, but having stayed at a 4 and 5 star in Morocco last year, for a lot less money, I was a little disappointed by the quality of the rooms and facilities. The weather was great, but nowadays you really expect WiFi in the reception at least (to be free of charge) for guests. We would recommend one of the bungalows out of the main complex as the 'entertainment' was quite late in the evening and I imagine could be an issue for a younger family.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.

I really do not know what the hotels in Morocco are like, but they should have as all hotels, good and bad things.

We regret you were not completely satisfied with your stay in our hotel.

Regarding rooms, we kindly inform you, we are in the process of carrying out the total refurbish of the rooms.

As per entertainment, it is difficult to make all the guests happy at the same time, because some of them say the activities begin too late and some others say they begin too early, that is why we chose an intermediate time.

Hoping you will let us be your hosts again, in case you decide to come to Varadero again, receive best regards.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Cuba - Varadero - Sol Palmeras Resort (a 4-star Melia resort)

For the past 20 years, we've been going on vacation in the Caribbean area, every year.
It was our first and probably last time in Cuba this year, at the beginning of April.

I'll start with the conclusion:
Tour operators in Canada (WestJet, Sunwing, Transat, Signature, etc.) are FLEECING Canadians and charging Cuban vacations at the same price as vacations in other Caribbean destinations such as Riviera Maya (Mexico), Punta Cana (Dominican Rep.), Jamaica, etc. for
services & conditions that are definitely inferior in the same resort/hotel category.
They take advantage of a lot of naive Canadians and Europeans whose first and only Caribbean experience is Cuba.

Now, everybody knows and understands that Cuba is having some economic problems. What most people do NOT know is that, in order to set up business in Cuba, all these international resort/hotel chains (Melia, Riu, Iberostar, Barcelo) have to enter in a joint venture with the Cuban government, where 51% is held by the Cuban government and 49% by the resort chain. So, basically almost all resort employees (including management) are state/government employees and must be vetted by the communist party leadership and government officials in order to work there.
But that can explain only a minor fraction of the complaints I'll list below:

COMPLAINTS (AND 'FIRSTS'):
- First time ever in a 3 or 4 star hotel in the Caribbean where they don't put anything in the mini fridge in your room (even in 3 star hotels in Punta Cana you get a few packs of fruit juice for kids, 2-3 bottles/cans of local beer, some soda).
- First time ever in the Caribbean there is NO lime or lemon at any of the 3-4 bars of the resort. When asking for lime in my Cuba Libre or Daiquiri, the bartenders looked at me as if I was asking for the moon, and their explanation was that "In Cuba anything is possible". Same thing at the buffet - in our 12 days stay, the buffet only got some tiny dry limes 2 or 3 times, and you need it for fish, seafood, etc. It's amazing in a country that is a large producer of citrus fruit!
- The beach and swimming pool bars have a VERY POOR selection of drinks, always run out of the better quality rum, and practically have no fruit juice (except some horrible local cola, and an artificial orange juice).
- Public washrooms in the upper and lower lobby (specially lady's) were always dirty in the evening and at night (with the bar and disco staying open till late). I haven't seen any cleaning staff after 6 pm in the entire resort.
- The lower lobby store sells a can of local beer (Cristal) for CND $2.50 and you will get an attitude from the sales ladies who seem more interested in chatting on their cell phones or with their colleagues than serving customers. There are no posted prices and we had the feeling she was making up the prices when we asked about beer, a sunscreen lotion or other stuff.
- The coffee and bottled water they put in your room are in short supply. Even after tipping the cleaning lady, sometimes she told us they ran out coffee.
- The beach is not cleaned as we saw in other places, and you could see the same plastic cups and straws in the same spot for days.
- In the morning it is difficult to find lounge chairs on the beach and you have to tip the guys in charge of them to bring you one from where they stash/hide them in the woods.
- WestJet representative (a local employee called Vilma) never showed up or got in touch and we had to get all information and the transfer to airport info on our own.

PRO'S:
- reception staff are efficient and helpful
- rooms are spacious and nice, and the cleaning staff do their job very well
- the entertainment staff are doing an excellent job (and I guess they are the reason some people return to this resort)
- buffet food is generally good and tasty (although not the variety you see in other Caribbean destinations)
- the ocean is great
- Cuban people are warm and friendly (I am sure this is the main reason tourists return to Cuba)

HAVANA
- If you have never visited Spain or Mexico, you'll be impressed by the architecture. For us it was a bit of a disappointment.
- Over half of the Old City (the tourist part) is derelict and in ruins
- One of the most polluted cities we've ever visited (old Soviet era cars spewing low octane gas...)
- Compared to other former colonial cities in the Caribbean, there is a conspicuous lack of churches, cathedrals etc. probably due to the atheistic communist regime.

TIPS:
- beer (local Cristal very good similar to Corona) costs $1 / can at the Plaza America "Mercado"
- cigarettes (Camel, Lucky Strike) $4.50 per pack at the same Mercado
- at the buffet it is better to be patient and wait for fresh fish & seafood to be prepared/grilled for you; same thing for omelettes in the morning
- book the Buena Vista Social Club show playing only Wednesdays at the Plaza America (5 - 7 minutes walk from the hotel)
- you can do all your souvenir shopping at this Plaza no need to go to Varadero centro

CONCLUSIONS:
1. It is probably unfair and definitely not objective to judge Cuba by one resort, but this is a 4 star resort and gave us a glimpse.
2. If tour operators start charging at least 30-40% LESS for Cuban resorts, we might consider going back. For the time being we're better off spending our vacation at a 3 star resort in the Dominican Rep. (we've done it a couple of times in the past).

Room Tip: Best rooms in hotel are on 4th floor in the centre: room no. 420 - 440
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LukeEarthwalker
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.

We accept all reviews like yours, but we do not share the same opinion.

I have worked in Punta Cana, Riviera Maya, not in Jamaica, but I surely know the Caribbean better than you, and you are completely mistaken. Part of your review is out of place, so I will not respond as I should, because I am polite.

Your comments will be thoroughly analysed by our area managers, and if they consider they should take any corrective action, they undoubted will do it.

Regarding your final conclusions about Cuba, in your review, they are out of place. And I consider that Tour Operators instead of charging 30-40% less as you said, they should charge more. Cuba has, for the guest who visit it, what no other country which has visited has, I assure this to you.

Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We just returned from our third time to the Sol Palmeras after spending another family holiday there. As always, the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and to make sure that things are going well. We have never had a bad day here.

We do not come here because the resort is new and shiny. It is a twenty plus year old hotel in Cuba which means the rooms are aging, the finishing work is "interesting", but the hotel itself and the rooms are clean. We were in a family bungalow in the 100 section which in our mind, is the best room and location in the resort. You are a two minute walk to the main building and a 30 second walk to the beach! Our bungalow was two stories; had two bedrooms and a bathroom on the top floor and a living room and kitchenette area on the bottom floor. There were chair/seating for eight people on the bottom floor. Because we had kids, the hotel staff made sure there were two or three liters of apple or orange juice in the fridge at all times. Plenty of water was placed in the room daily. Two of the three air conditioners leaked at some point during the week but within a couple of hours, a repairman showed up to fix it. At least two times in the next two days, someone from guest services called to make sure it was working properly.
Armondo the bellman is the best way for this hotel to make a great first impression. What a personality! Also, Alicia and Felix at the front desk take care of everything. Thanks for the great service. Dayanna in guest relations was also extremely professional and helpful in dealing with any issue.

I would like again to thank Allahy for making sure the Panchita restaurant was running as efficiently as possible during our time there. She is a whirlwind of energy who has an eye for detail and is constantly making sure things are running smoothly. For a "boss" she sure isn't afraid to get her hands dirty whether it is clearing tables when it is busy or finding cutlery for people. Also Javier our waiter was fantastic. He catered to our kids needs and was a wealth of information regarding life in Cuba. The grill chefs all during the day whether it was for omelettes or grilled fish/pork/chicken/beef worked really hard and were extremely friendly. I have noticed the grill chefs are much more careful with cross contamination with the meat (also noticed more care and attention paid to making sure the meat was always chilled) than our first time at the resort five years ago. We had a fantastic meal at the Seafood a la carte. The cut of beef was as good as almost anything I have had in Alberta. The shrimp is came with was bland but the beef was great. The service was attentive and professional.

As always, the highlight of the facility is the beach. We are sad that we didn't figure out something sooner in our trips to the Sol Palmeras. You can take a pedal boat out to the deeper water which might be 100 yards off shore and there are plenty of reefs and fish to snorkel and take a look at. The water is unbelievably clear and clean. We had to play the "game" of reserving chairs in the morning so we would have one for the day after coming back from breakfast. More loungers at both the beach and the pool would be great to avoid this. There is definitely room to add more even if they all don't fit under a shade umbrella.

It is weird to read other reviews about the cleanliness of the pool. Because our kids like to go in the pool late in the day, I kept my eye open for people cleaning. I saw staff taking around a net to catch leaves, cups, etc. once every couple of hours and I saw staff vacuuming the pool out either in the morning or at night. The pool outside of the odd leaf on the bottom which is understandable was fine in regards to cleanliness. The great woman who works the ice cream stand as stated in many other reviews is a gem. The kids love her and she is so friendly and warm. As usual we didn't participate in much of the entertainment/activities during the day but as usual, the activity staff wasn't pushy or overbearing.

It was nice to see the changes this time around to the hotel. The gym facility is great. Well done. Also, nice to see an outdoor lounge for smokers built off the main floor. There were also new games by the towel exchange building to play. There was also more vegetables available in the buffet restaurant. For the first time, there was steamed broccoli almost every day. Never any shortage of lettuce to make a salad this time either. I also noticed more garlic being used in the cooking in the Panchita. The "sauce" (not sure what it was but it was good) put over the grilled meats was fantastic as well. My kids used the games room a couple of times and there were different games this time around albeit for the Wii and PS2 but hey, the kids didn't care.

Mr. Alcina, you have a great staff here and we will keep coming back to your hotel because of them. Please pass on our thanks to those mentioned. Your hotel has a great reputation in our part of Canada. Many people have passed by word of mouth how great your staff is which leads to a great experience especially for first timers to Varadero. See you next spring.

Room Tip: The 100 bungalows are close to the main building and close to the beach.
5 Thank SamuraiYosh
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for trusting on us, and choose Sol Palmeras to stay on your holidays for the third time. We appreciate it, and we are glad to know you enjoyed your holidays among us.

Your review touched me deeply, because your comments on it are so positive, that they made us work with more enthusiasm to improve all the aspects, so that when you come again to stay among us, you have the same opinions, we promise we will not disappoint you.

I agree with you, thanks to our staff our hotel is successful, and it has always been like this for 24th years the hotel will be next May 10th.

Our hotel has its age, but we are lucky to have the fantastic staff we have, we are proud of them, that is why the hotel's age is not important.

We will share your wonderful review with all our staff, especially with the persons you mentioned, whom I personally will congratulate on your behalf. Thank you, we appreciate it very much.

We are also glad to know you like the improvements we have made in our hotel.

All your complimentary comments are the best reward we can receive from our guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you on your fourth visit , receive best regards.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Dont usually choose all inclusive but worked out well with no cold salads left to go warm and multiply bugs! Great choice of precooked and cooked on demand. Found the A La Carte restaurants disappointing ( Italian had the nicest ambience but the coldest Lasagne!) and the minigolf was very poor on the outskirts of the resort only to get there and find the clubs and balls were back on the main site. Entertainment was very good and the Volleyball very inclusive. Beach was closed with big waves for 2 days of our stay and marshalled well to keep us all safe. watersports seemed to be pulled in to early every day 3pm finish when the softer sun came out!

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

2 Thank 3upert
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sol Palmeras for your holidays, and enjoyed them.

We appreciate your review, which was published on the Trip Advisor. Especially the negative comments, because they constitute an area of opportunity we have, to improve our daily work in our hotel.

We will work to solve the issues at our speciality restaurants, to avoid other similar comments.

Hoping you choose our hotel again to stay on your next holidays.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

This resort is average at most.
Pros:

Very nice beach and ocean. Plenty of palapas and beach chairs. We had no problem finding palapa and beach chairs even at 11 am. Beach bar is ok, nothing special, they use very small plasctic cups for drinks which is very inconvenient because ice will melt in minutes and by the time you get to your palapa its already not cold.

Cons:

Small plastic cups for drinks - really inconvenient.

Horrible system for restaurant reservation. You cannot reserve all restaurants for the week, you have to come daily to reserve 1 restaurant at the time and for some reasons they were always fully booked. We stayed 2 weeks and were able to reserve only twice. We even brought up the issue to manager but nobody really cared so we ended up bribing the waiters by giving them 5-10 bucks so we can eat at restaurant and guess what? We had dinner in restaurant almost every day without reserving. The buffet is a joke, very poor quality of food, Trust me we are not picky people and we have been to Cuba many times and we know what to expect but even for Cuba the food was very poor and that's why we ended up bribing the waiters and eating in ala carte restaurants almost daily.

Our room was ok, nothing special but nothing horrible as well but our friend got very smelly, moldy room with parking lot view. Again we got a nice room because I gave 20$ to check in guy.

Pool was cleaned only twice in 2 weeks. The water in the pool had a milky surface. It didn't really spoil our vacation because we are the beach people and never stay at the pool but if you are, I would definitely be cautious with the pool because its a health hazard!!! The milky surface is indicative of bacterial contamination as well as we have seen lots of dirt along the pool walls.

Evening shows nothing special. We have seen much better shows in Tryp Cayo Coco.

Overall, I would definitely not recommend this resort to anyone as too many issues encountered that can spoil your vacation unless you are willing constantly giving out cash to staff to get what you want. We always tip a lot but there is a BIG difference between tipping for good service and bribing the staff just to get what is supposed to be included in your vacation. Do not tell me that this is Cuba and at any resort in Cuba you will have to do the same. This is not true!!!

Room Tip: Give some money to check in person, otherwise good luck!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank sail2sea
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
ear guest,

Thank you for taking part of your time, sharing your opinions, which were published on the Trip Advisor, about your stay in Sol Palmeras.

As you well expressed, we hope your review is honest. We accept all your opinions, but we do not share some of them, which we honestly doubt they are true. Perhaps because you said, in other hotels in Cuba you had to bribe different people to obtain things.

Your review has been thoroughly analyzed with our area managers, and the necessary actions will be taken to avoid similar remarks as yours with other of our guests.

All your negative comments caught my attention, because you pointed out all that we have done wrongly, but there is one of your remarks that caught my attention the most, which made me have doubt of all the others: you really think that a swimming pool in which hundred of people swim everyday can be only cleaned only once on fifteen days?

We regret that you did not like your stay among us in our hotel, but we assure you we will do all the best we can to improve some items you expressed on your review.

Tomeu Alcina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Sol Palmeras? Share your experiences!