“First holiday to Cuba”

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
North Wales
“First holiday to Cuba”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We have just returned from 2 weeks at Sol Palmeras (May 2014) and had a wonderful time. Yes, the Cubans do not hurry themselves but that is Cuba and it did not spoil our holiday. The hotel was very welcoming, clean, very friendly and there was always something to do. Food is very good - yes it is sometimes very samey but with the five restaurants that you can go to, each twice during your stay (2 weeks), you should have no problem finding something different to eat. It is the only holiday I have been on where I have not had a tummy bug! The beach is to die for and there is no shortage of sunbeds. The only thing I did not like was the people who go down to the beach and pool at early doors and 'reserve' their sunbeds!! This is not right but I'm afraid you will not stop it. There is a good selection of trips that you can go on - the cataraman trip was superb. We are booking to go back again the same time next year. Thank you Sol Palmeras.

1 Thank Soo54
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Soo54,

Thank you for choosing Sol Palmeras to stay on your first trip to Cuba, and we are glad to know, that you enjoyed your stay among us.

We appreciate your review with your complimentary comments which were published and shared, on the Trip Advisor.

We took note of your remark about reservation of sun-beds, I agree with you, because in spite of having posters prohibiting this, there are still some guests that continue doing it.

As I said above, we are glad you have selected Sol Palmeras for your first trip to Cuba, but we are also happy to know that you think of coming again next year.

We are at your entire disposal.

Truly yours,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

it was our first time in cuba and travelling as a couple we could not have picked a better hotel our room was on the 4th floor we found it very quiet and a clean comfortable room the a la carte restaurants were excellent our favourites were the seafood Chinese and mexicon although we did try all of them the salmon in the steakhouse was very nice we found all the staff very helpful with top marks going to maylin in the lobby bar she always went out of her way to make us feel welcome our rep jesus was excellent and arranged our trips a day in Havana which for us was enough time to see the sights with our guide katy and a jeep safari with our guide tony we thoughourly enjoyed both days we would strongly recommend this hotel

3 Thank Suekjones
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate that you have chosen our hotel for your first trip to Cuba, and that you enjoyed it.

We appreciate with all our heart, all your complimentary comments you wrote on your review, especially for your good opinion about our staff. Thank you very much for this.

We will congratulate our employee Maylin, on your behalf.

Hoping you choose Sol Palmeras again for your next holidays in Cuba, receive best regards.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just came back from Sol Palmeras where my wife and I enjoyed glorious sunny days for the whole week. Our airline rep told us that the hotel was 98% occupied - you can imagine how busy the lobby, the buffet and the beach were. The beach was well-maintained though and clean in spite of some guests not using the garbage cans to dispose of their litter. Had no problem finding a palapa and beach chair albeit a bit far from the bar. The beach bar was adequately manned and we did not wait long for our drinks. When you go to Sol Palmeras, figure out what the bell is for.

We had no issues with our accommodation. We were upgraded to a bungalow at Zona 5 - an 8 minute+ walk to the hotel, which was not really not bad at all. I protested at check-in but upon inspection of the newly renovated bungalow, we decided to keep it. It is just like having a small cottage up north sans the kitchen. We did not mind the walk as it was a minor trade-in for having quiet evenings and restful sleep. If you prefer peaceful nights, get a bungalow.

We were close to the jacuzzis and snack bar where we met Yarimit, Jorge and Daniel who took care of these facilities. Good people, good team, excellent work! Magalis, our hardworking chambermaid, made us a couple of towel arrangements - so pretty we did not use the towels and put it in the living room as displays instead. Rayza, Jorge and Julio at the buffet restaurant gave us outstanding service. They were mindful of our needs, accommodated all our requests and made us feel really special! And of course Robertico ("mi hermano") at the lobby bar who always checked on us and made sure that we were taken care of. We talked to each of them and found them friendly, warm and caring. Many thanks to these staff who made our stay at Sol Palmeras very pleasant and simply hard to forget.

There was a good variety of choices for buffet breakfast and lunch - more than enough for a picky eater like me anyway. Although repetitive as all buffets are, the taste of the food was good. I was in a different country and I was not looking for gourmet meals. Our dinner was always at one of the a la carte restaurants. Booking was easy just come early to avoid the line up. Ranking from good to not-so-good, try La Marina (seafood) first, then the Steak House. Leave Oshin restaurant (Chinese) for last. I think the steak at La Marina was a lot better than the Steak House's.

Off the beach, there were enough activities and shows to spend out time. My wife enjoyed learning the salsa and I had a good time with rifle shooting. We both enjoyed watching the entertainers. The audience participation at the beach party was hilarious! Check out the schedule posted at the lobby and be guided accordingly.

Unfavorable impressions: front desk - less chit-chat when a line is starting to form. Lobby washroom - should be cleaned more often. Fruits at buffet - looks like their past their "good before ____" date. Sunwing pick up - bus was almost an hour late. I was worried that we have been missed. Communication - called for bellboy service on our check-out. 20 minutes later we were still waiting. There was no feedback. Just flagged one of the golf carts passing by - happened to be a maintenance cart. Not sure if our request was passed on by telephone operator.

Nevertheless, we were absolutely very happy over-all with our stay at this hotel. More so with the the exceptional service we received from the staff whose names I mentioned above. This is our first stay at this hotel and definitely will not be our last. What a wonderful holiday we had! Next time, I will bring the whole family.

3 Thank DanforthR
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear DanforthR,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays, and we are glad you found them awesome.

We appreciate all your complimentary comments about our hotel and the services we offer.

We especially took note, of your remarks about Reception, washroom at the lobby, the bell boy, and the fruits at the buffet. We inform you we will take the necessary actions, to avoid these things would happen again.

The persons you mentioned on your review, will be congratulated on your behalf.

We are happy to know that next time you will bring your family to stay in Sol Palmeras.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had one of the best vacations ever at Sol Palmeras. I feel as if I have new friends at this hotel that would remember me when I hope to go there again. Matika, one of the entertainers that gets all the sports and games going, was one of my favourite people. When I was alone for a breakfast she sat down with me and kept me company. For the rest of the week she was around to make sure I was having a great time. Hugo at reception, Whiskey and his co-worker (sorry, can't remember his name), at the Mexican restaurant, Alexis at the towel counter, Hayron at the bar, and ladies, try aqua-exercises at the beach with Raoul your instructor, you won't even know you are exercising. First of all, you won't take your eyes off him, and he will keep making you laugh.
I would suggest you always pay extra for a pool view room otherwise you will be overlooking parking lots which tend to be noisy. The maids are great, they will leave you a lovely message and new towel design every day. My maid, Maria Esther, was very sweet.
I liked the food, lots of fish, fruits and a good variety of other things included an omelette bar and some amazing ice cream. There is an ice cream bar next to the pool.
The beach is fantastic, very clean, no seaweed or jelly fish but take mosquito spray. I was on the beach everyday. The pool looked great as well, nice and clean. Lots of sports and games to keep you busy throughout the day.
The nightly entertainment was also great. A wonderful band and dancers. Alberto, one of the MCs, was very entertaining.There was also music in the lobby. The lobby is full of soft couches and tables and chairs to watch or play cards and games or just visit.
I always try to go new places but I think this will be one hotel that I will try to come back to. I had so much fun!!! I was there solo but luckily met a new friend and we both could not stop talking about how lucky we were to choose this hotel.

Room Tip: Always pay for a room with a pool view or you will likely overlook a roof or a parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Susan4919
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Susan4019,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays, and we are glad to know you enjoyed them.

We appreciate, very much, all your complimentary comments, which were published on your review, about Sol Palmeras, and we are full of satisfaction that you could make new friends here.

We will share your review with all the members of our staff, especially with the persons you mentioned.

It made us very happy to read, that you normally go to different sites, but that you have the intention to come to Sol Palemras again.

We are the lucky ones because we have the honor you chose our hotel to stay. We appreciate it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from the sol palmeras and would not return. We payed for a ocean view, which apparently there is no such thing at this hotel, false advertising. I couldn't tell you which room to pick cause they are all bad. Bugs, mold and very outdated. Even looked at the luxury romance rooms which looked nice in the pics, but when you got there, the shower and toilet are outside. The pool paint was all peeling. The food is bad all over in cuba, but this hotel the food was cold, and the same stuff every day. House keeping is bad at cleaning, the room we got had puke all over the side of the toilet from previous guests, they don't give you clean glasses or refill any room items you use, except for towels. The beds are so hard you might as well sleep on the floor. Most of the time you have to get your own coffee or dinner drinks. If your going to cuba, pick a 5 star or you will be sorry.

2 Thank lorinWinnipeg_Canada
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear guest,

We regret that your stay among us in our hotel was not what you hoped, and that we could not fulfill your expectations in none of our services.

As we understand, reading your review, we have not achieved during your stay, not even a minimum of satisfaction. Nevertheless, we should thank you for your comments published, because they contribute to improve our product and our service.

I assure you that we will take all the necessary actions to avoid these things happen again and then no other remarks would be written.

I know it is difficult for you to give us another opportunity to be your hosts again, but I would like to ask you that in case you decide to come to Varadero again, you visit our hotel and check that all your remarks have been taken into account.

Brampton
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Although rated a 4 star I would put it closer to a 3.
Room- worn around the edges, hard beds, but clean and a good location (we were in bungalow 114)
Food- Buffet- could use some additional variety but overall was good. I definitely did not starve and other than the food being plain no complaints about the food
A la carte- Chinese was fantastic. Italian was mediocre. Steak house was terrible.
Service- overall we were ignored in the buffet and at the bars. It was very irritating to get no water or drink service even when we tipped at the start of the meal.
Beach- wonderful. Very long and there was always some place to be in shade and chairs to sit on.
Pool- there are 2 of them- small but satisfactory. Harder to get a chair than at the beach
Activities- there were many options every day and the entertainment staff tried really hard to get people involved.
Overall I would say if you get a good deal this resort is worth it.

See below for more details
Bungalows are big for 2 people - there is a separate bedroom, wash-room, living room with pull out couch, patio. Avoid the later number bungalows there are too far away from everything. Stick with the 100's.
The cleaning staff changed the towels every day but not the sheets. The beds are hard and not cushioned at all. The 'king size' is really 2 twins pushed together makes it hard to snuggle as they fall apart.
The ground staff is working every day keeping the resort beautiful- but some times start a bit early if you have been up late (8am)
There is only 1 clock on the entire resort- so if you don't normally wear a watch make sure to bring one with you
There is an umbrella in the room. There is a gym with weights and cardio equipment. Contrary to the website they do not charge for beach towels unless you loose them.
The drinks are made extremely strong. So much so that we couldn't enjoy them even when asking for less rum.
We (as well as the other Canadian travellers we spoke to) did not receive service at the buffet. I guess it was our lack of Spanish or something. Only once did we have some one really pay attention to us. But we were able to fend for ourselves.
Alejandro the bell hop was great at bringing us to our room and showing us around and giving us advise about the resort.
You have to book the catamaran at 9am on the day of. If you are not there at 9 you won't get service that day.
The AC didn't work when we checked in but after 1 phone call the guy showed up to fix it and we even got a call later to make sure it was fixed to our satisfaction. Great!
There is only 1 wash-room on the grounds, 2 in the main hotel and no signs pointing them out. The one is near the ice cream stand (between the pool and the beach) one on the 2nd floor near reception and one behind the gym. Toilet paper is used as hand towels.
There are no face clothes provided.
If the money is right I would go back.

5 Thank AshleyA82
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sol Palmeras for your holidays, and reading your review, we understand you enjoyed them.

We also thank you for all your complimentary comments published and shared on the Trip Advisor, especially for your remarks which are not very positive, which constitute an area of opportunity we have to improve our daily work.

We took note of your remarks about the Steak-House, the waiters' service and strong drinks. We will work to improve these aspects.

We would like to inform you that in our standards, sheets are changed every other day, unless the guest requests to be done each day.

You are right, we had difficulties with the supply of tissue for hands, so we had no other choice than provide toilet paper instead, we apologize for this.

We will congratulate Alejandro, the porter, on your behalf.

Only you know if value for money fulfill your expectations.

Hoping your answer is positive and you will choose our hotel for your holidays again, receive best regards.

Vancouver
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Overall most people's positive and negative reviews give an accurate picture of the Sol Palmeras.

We travelled from May 18th-27th. Our age group was 35,34,20,12. We are used to going to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico so Cuba was a change for us. I would compare this to 4 stars in Mexico...I don't know how this resort compares to others in Cuba as this was our first time. The overall stay was quieter than our Mexico experiences. They have a good balance between fun activities, pumping music and then they have quiet times by the pool where there is no music at all.

The best activities were the disco night and foam party on the beach. We really appreciated the entertainment staff of Alaine and Martika as they were really engaging and friendly and took time to get to know us.

We were in the bungalows in zone 5 (see attached photo of a map of the place). This is probably the farthest walking distance. I could see if you were out of shape that this would be a long walk, but it was only about 7 to 10 minutes max. It was a nice quiet area to stay and we had an upstairs section in our bungalow with 2 private rooms. We were right outside the Jacuzzi tub area and massage tables with the small snack hut that was convenient. The problem is the sidewalks by the bungalows...they are not smooth and therefore make it easy to trip. We didn't mind where we were.

The food isn't the best, but it isn't the worst (I've had worse at one resort in Mexico). The restaurants help to break up the buffet which is repetitive. I had good steak at the seafood restaurant and poor steak and the steakhouse...not sure why. We found some of the fruit not as sweet as in Mexico. The best is the grilling stations that make your food fresh for you.

The bartenders were good and we loved Ernesto. He gave excellent service to our kids and didn't ignore them and went out of his way to get to know us. He really made this a positive trip!

There was a lot of people that didn't speak English which made it hard to meet people as we like to do that, but we enjoyed our interactions with others playing volleyball. There were a lot of people from France, Germany, Holland, Russia, etc. I’ve never experienced that in Mexico that much.

We really enjoyed snorkelling with the catamaran at the resort. You see a bunch of fish and go for an hour. It was worth the $15 per person.

Electricity - most rooms have plugs labelled as 110V so it is ok to charge your electronics, but the plugs have a large plastic ring around them are inset into the wall. We could therefore charge our iphones, etc, but we could charge our cameras as they used a block charger for the battery and you can't get the prongs close enough because of the large plastic ring around the outlet. Not sure why it is like this.

Other than food being a bit disappointing, I think we would return as it was a good balance between relaxation and fun activities. This is definitely not a party place to just get wasted.

Room Tip: Bungalows are quieter. Water is available at the El Mojito bar...bring your own cup!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank BCRBFamily
alc52, Director General at Sol Palmeras, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate you have chosen Sol Palmeras to stay on your first trip to Cuba with your family, after you used to go to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico.

Thank you for all your complimentary comments, which were published on the Trip Advisor. We will work on the aspects you remarked on your review.

All your positive comments made us very glad, and we thank you for this, and to know that Ernesto and his good service made your trip enjoyable. We will proudly congratulate him, personally, on your behalf, and also all the other persons you mentioned.

Hoping you choose our hotel again to stay, we assure you next time will be even better than this one.