I recently returned from the Barlovento , having stayed from April 19th-26th . I have been going to Cuba for 30 years and have been to Varadero numerous times and I can tell you that the best thing this hotel has going for it is the location and the staff. The rooms are tired but clean and the maids do a great job with what they have to work with . Who cares though, you really are only in your room to sleep and shower . Having said that , the shower pressure left something to be desired (I was on the second floor) but at least I had hot water every day but one !
The beach anywhere in Varadero is a given and you can walk for 20 plus km if you want so that is never an issue for me. The hotel itself is an older hotel with under 300 rooms . This time I was travelling on my own so the size of the place was appealing .....and did I mention the location ? Great spot on the very edge of town , approximately ave. #13 so you can walk to other restaurants, shopping, nightlife or a cab is maybe $5 CUC to get to spots up around ave #60. Try the Beatles night club - no cover charge and a great band playing covers of lots of bands , including the Beatles . Take a cab there for about $5 CUC. There is another great outdoor club within walking distance called FM17 as it is at avenue 17 :) where you can usually find a live Cuban band and some other good entertainment. No cover charge and cheap drinks for a change of pace from the hotel. There are lots of other places to try out in Varadero so don't be afraid to venture out at night. As a single female, I felt perfectly safe walking in town during the day and at night.
So back to the hotel...........the grounds are quite beautiful and the gardeners do a great job of keeping everything in tip top shape. There are 3 pools- a quiet pool with very few chairs and umbrellas to keep it that way , a wading pool for kids that I rarely saw anyone using and the main pool where most of the action took place. That pool has a raised fountain that provided some additional fun for those who chose to jump from it into the pool.
Having been to Cuba so many times, I never have high expectations for the food but I must say that the main buffet landed solidly at middle of the road .........pretty boring but enough decent food to get by . I did not try the a la carte restaurants although heard that the Mexican one was pretty good. The drinks at the bars varied but I did have a couple of wicked Mojitos at the beach /lunch bar . There was no white wine the entire week I was there so I can't comment on that but the red was ok.
Activities were available - usually something on the beach in the morning and around the pool in the afternoon , with bingo and dance lessons happening every day . The staff were friendly and the evening shows pretty good for the most part. Another bonus, even though the hotel seemed fairly full, I never had to fight for a beach chair or a pool chair no matter what time of day .
I met many people who have been going to the Barlovento for years and love it for the staff and the location and I would have to agree with them . It is rated a 3 to 3 1/2 star and I would agree with that rating as well. For the price I paid , even with a single supplement , well worth it overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Roc Barlovento is located on beachfront and just a few meters from town centre of Varadero only 25 km away from the airport.This large Caribbean-style resort is in perfect harmony with its natural surroundings along an extensive, fine white sanded beach and turquoise waters .Adults only hotel, over 16 years.Services Around the gardens, there are a tennis court, a solarium, three swimming pools and one jacuzzi. 3 Out Door Pools Sunbeds & Umbrellas Reception 24 hrsStores, shops Air Conditioning Tourism office GardensInternet, with charge Telephone and fax, with charg eMassage, with charge"All Inclusive" Services Buffet service for breakfast, lunch and dinner 3 á la carte restaurants (prior reservation required and upon availability) Fast food, snacks, grill y paellas. Cocktails, beverages: national and international brands. 24 hrs Service. Non motorized water sports (upon availability), snorkel, windsurf, kayak, pedalboatl, catamaran, windsurf . Voleyball, football, tennis, ping pong, billard, petanca, dards, archery and table games. Basket, beach volley, water polo- Gym Sunbeds andbeach/pool towels Day time entertainment programme: aerobics, yoga, dancing lessons, Spanish lessons, pool/beach games. Evening entertainment with a variety of international shows and theme nights (resident band and dancers)GastronomyThe All Inclusive offer includes, in addition to the three complete buffet meals per day, à la carte meals in the 3 specialty restaurants (with reservation) snacks, alcoholic as well as non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day. A great variety of gastronomical treats awaits our guests in the hotel’s 4 restaurants and 4 bars . The hotel offers a 24 hrs service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Hotel Roc Barlovento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barlovento Hotel Varadero
- Barlovento Cuba
- Gran Caribe Club Barlovento
- Hotel Barlovento
- Barlovento Varadero