“Typical Cuban place”

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Campbellford, Canada
“Typical Cuban place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Great beach, bad food and very typical 3* Staff was very helpful, fun and almost always smiling. There were a couple of restaurants near by, a little store and a small market. You could also go further down into town, and have a nice day out. Worth a go if you're on a budget

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Grayzie67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Selkirk, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel.Jan 9-23. Walking distance to flea markets (one is right next door) and next to that, Joseph will make you The best mohito! The food is always plentiful, may not be what you are used to at home, but you won't go hungry. Migue makes the best cappuchinos every morning. German took great care of us for breakfast and lunch, dinner time Lillit and Niury always had a smile and our table ready! Lazarito usually had our drinks ready to go! Into the second week, I ended up with hives. My legs looked like tree trunks and the itch was like fire! I could not handle it and saw the Nurse and Doctor. The Nurse gave me a shot, brought all the meds to my room. They took real good care of me, but I did not think that this was a reaction/infection to mosquito bites. My husband had a few bites, but was not like I was. I realize that we were not very vigilant where our towels,beach bag etc were concerned. I am obviously allergic to the sand fleas. Lesson learned. I made inquiries (emailed) to the GM and he very promptly got back to me. Hotels are inspected by the Government, monthly. They are vigilant in any/all pest control. I felt the bites (feet, ankles up to my knees. No where else) but I could not SEE what was using me for a buffet! Make sure you are not putting sand around your bed! Lesson learned! We love the staff, location, entertainment and THE Beach! We will be back again!

Room Tip: Room 135. Quiet, by the tennis court.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Donna C
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

From the moment I arrived to the Roc Barlovento I felt at home.. The staff I found to be very friendly and attentive. I was alone the first night as my girl friend I hadn't seen for 22 years and her parents were to arrive the next day. I stayed in Varadero in 1992 so it had changed immensely since I was there last. The Barlovento was recommended by my travel mates as they had been there a couple of times before and raved about the great location. They were absolutely right.. the location was amazing! Easy walking to all the shops. Our room was kept very clean, the hotel was a little dated but kept in tip top shape. Again I rave about the staff.. A big hello out to Mary at the desk, Luis the Bellman, Iris at the Buffet, and to our maid Lucy from Debbie & Karen from Canada!! Jackie at the bar always remembered what we drank and how we liked it!

The Beach was great it was never packed and the Beach Bar had great Cuban music playing all the time. You can walk for miles and miles which I did.. great exercise.

The food is limited, but with a little imagination we made the best of it. We had the cook put the hotdogs on the grill for a nice treat, Cuban sandwiches can be assembled with all the goodies, the spaghetti can be tossed with virtually anything.. we switched it up a lot!

Our room 220 faced the main road and I would not go there again. There seemed to be an after-hours club across the street that was still going one night at 4 a.m.!! Ole Ole! The early morning clip clop of the coaches and the buses were a little too noisy. I would request near the tennis courts next time. No problem with the water or room other than that. A couple of nights we did notice the smell from the oil refinery and it isn't pleasant. however that is the way it is you can't control which way the wind blows!

The weather could have been a bit better but it is always touch and go. I was warming myself on a travel candle one night as there is no heat in the rooms.. don't forget to bring some snugly clothes!
January can be colder sometimes.

The entertainment was fun enjoyable and did not go too late. the Aqua Ballet was really good.
The quality of the goods at the markets have improved a 1000% since I had been there last.. Nice artisan articles.. got some beautiful wooden salad spoons, nice bracelets good price and hand made by the people running the booths. I look for that rather than the mass produced.

I am going to work on my Spanish for the next time I return.. most of the staff can speak some English, but I love the language and would love to communicate on an even level. Will miss the Roc Barlovento!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Karen K
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel is the best combination of a great beach, comfortable accommodation and close proximity to the town of Varadero. It's close enough that you can walk to the town and enjoy the vibrant night life of Cuba.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank r l
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Had a great time at this resort would diffidently would go back to this resort staff was great very helpful was very close to downtown and shops rooms very clean this was our first visit out of Canada and really loved it we had 4 in our group and all enjoyed this resort the Mexican restaurant was really good

Room Tip: if you have difficult time with stairs ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank aboolin
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This was our 2nd trip to this hotel and we vacationed with 6 friends from Western Canada. You can't go wrong with the beach, location and entertainment. This hotel is a little dated, but the dining room, lobby and most times the washrooms were clean. There was always a large variety of food to choose from on the buffet and the Italian & Cuban a la carte's were Excellent! The beach grill opened after undergoing renovations and we really enjoyed eating there for lunch. The wait staff in all of the dining area's and bar's are super friendly and helpful. Kadia at the customer service area is awesome if you need anything. The beach was a popular spot on the days when the weather was superb, and the pool area was also a great place to hang out for the day if the beach was a no go due to wind/weather. The location of this hotel is a real selling point as you are literally a few steps away from a couple of markets and you are safe to go for a walk after dinner. A horse and buggy are always waiting or you could also take a scooter or cab. The Veradero beach bus is a great way to see the city of Veradero, $5 for an all day ride with the ability to get on and off as you choose. If your at the bank on the main drag there is a cute little bistro on the opposite side of the street that serves the best lobster lunch I have ever had....$15 for a HUGE lobster! Took the catamaran trip to Cayo Blanco on a stunning weather day.....fun trip all the way around...finished off by swimming with the dolphins at the Dolphinarium...was a bit pricey for what we actually got, but was an exhilierating experience never the less! One thing you always have to remember is that you are in Cuba and Cuba has it's strong points and downfalls as well. You can expect to have little pressure in your shower, be asked to pay for toilet paper or pee on a toilet with no seat etc etc etc, but it is also a very lovely country and the people are so friendly, it's why people loving vacationing in Cuba.
All in all for the price of this hotel it IS WORTH the $. Tipping of course goes a long way everywhere in Cuba as it does everywhere in the world. We will be back to the Barlevento for sure!

Room Tip: We were in room 209 facing the street, which I thought was excellent because I could watch all the h...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank LorieRussell
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I picked this hotel mainly based on location. We stayed about halfway down the peninsula last year and found it too far from everything we wanted to do and hated having to pay or wait to get anywhere so for this reason alone this hotel was a great pick. It is right near the beginning and is really close to alot of shopping, bars, and some good restaurants. The hotel itself is very nice, older but they definitely try to keep it nice. Rooms are very dated but we don't go to hang out in the room. Had no problems with water pressure and it was always hot or at least pretty warm. Air conditioner worked great. Staff was very nice and our maid Noelle was awesome. Some of the staff only seemed interested in you if you tipped well but overall service was good especially Rafael at the Italian ala carte. Beach was amazing with lots of chairs, same with the pools. I'm not sure how full the hotel was but we never had much trouble getting a spot or a chair. My only real problem came with the supper buffet. Breakfast was fine and the omelet guy is really good but there can can be a lineup so be prepared. We mostly had lunch at the beach bar with hamburgers and bbq, even icecream. The supper buffet was, well, disappointing. Selection was never very good and alot was cold, it looked identical to lunch. I felt bad for the staff because they were really trying but they didn't have a lot to work with. Try to book the ala cartes as much as possible for supper as they are a definite improvement. If you get hungry late night there is a really nice lady cooking burgers and pizza at the main buffet. Drinks were good and it was never a problem to get Havana Club in them, and Javier at the amimacion bar makes a killer mojito.
It was a great spot overall, especially for what we paid. Be warned though that sometimes at night on the peninsula you get a bad gas smell from a refinery some kms away depending on the wind but that is the same for all the resorts. I had a good time and I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple