“Kawama is a good place only if you get a good room”
Review of Hotel Club Kawama

Hotel Club Kawama
Ranked #48 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Upon arrival to Hotel Kawama (9pm) we were given the worst room possible(room 3032). The room smelled full of smoke (we asked for non-smoking). The closet door was broken and hanging on a hinge and the fridge was broken, the bathroom window did not close therefore we had mosquitoes in the room. We went back to the hotel front desk that night and asked for another room. They told us we had to wait until 9am the next day and come back. She wrote our issue on her 'mucho problemo' list. Yes I said " Senora, mucho problemo when you give us a bad room !!" They did move us but we spent the whole morning waiting for another room (we wasted the day). The second room (2012) was acceptable- they showed us the room which was still occupied and then they took all day to clean and empty the room, we never got to move there until late afternoon.

The room was clean but the beds are old and uncomfortable and the pillows were hard. There is no king size bed just two double beds put together with bad mattresses. But there were no bed bugs and no mosquitoes and no cockroaches in this room, and the fridge worked, and so did the air conditioner.

We brought nice Canadian souvenirs and gave it to the maids, gardeners and bartenders.. and locals and got good service when you tip ! If you go on the Safari excursion, save some pesos for the children at the end of the tour. The Safari excursion is the best ! (a lot of bumpy roads !) Bring toys or souvenirs for the children - they are so adorable ! Our driver Raymond on the Jeep Safari was amazing, we were his VIP couple ! :)

Drinks at the bars were sickly sweet. I was looking forward to fresh fruit in a tropical place such as the Caribbean. All I got was sweet water and had to ask to tone down the sugar in my rum punch. They need to put more fresh fruit and juices in their drinks, I did not see a strawberry in any of my drinks.

The flowers were beautiful, there were fresh flowers picked almost daily.. every kind you could image.. I have never seen such beautiful flowers in the Caribbean. We met Jesus the gardener, and for a few pesos, you could ask him to cut a coconut and go to the bar El Dorado and ask them to put rum in the coconut water and have a nice drink ! The bartendar lady even saved my coconut from the morning so I could have my drink in the afternoon.

My favourite coffee bar (El Candil I think) was the best speciality coffee place. Ask for a Meringue Coffee (meringue in black coffee in a tall glass) absolutely delectable ! ) they open at 9:30am right by the beach.. ask for Carmella she does the best meringue coffee !

We went out on the Katarmans (Louis and Isreal were the instructors) they were amazing.. the ocean water is beautiful !! I also went kayaking and paddle boats.. make sure you wear sunscreen on your legs or you will get a severe burn from their sun, it is very strong !!!
The ocean is aqua blue and very beautiful, the waves are fun to jump in !!! and the ocean water is very salty !!

Location is excellent, close to everything a nice walk to the flea markets. We felt very safe in Veradero at all times, locals were very nice.

The food was average but the breakfast buffet was the best at Toscanas. You have to reserve a la carte restaurants from 10am to 12pm every day in the hotel lobby, which can take some time.

The local restaurant, La Sangria down the street is good, we got a whole meal with a beer for 5.25 pesos!

Most of the staff were nice, front hotel desk not friendly and never smiled.

Best advice for the traveller, plan which excursions (if any) you will go on before your trip and book it when you get there including booking the a la carte restaurant for your first evening. Do not exchange money at the hotel, they will charge a fee, go to the bank down the street (opens at 9am) and exchange your money there, you get a better rate but you might have to wait.

This was our first all-inclusive vacation and our first time to Cuba. For the price (based on the second room we got) it was acceptable. the food was mediocre, the drinks were terrible. the beach was fantastic. We would probably not return considering that there are so many other places to visit in the Caribbean, and even if we went back to Cuba, we would pick a different place.

Room Tip: Room 3032 is the worst.. room 2012 is acceptable
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,934)

Got to the hotel at 11 am and had to wait over 4 hours for the room
Room needed some work but the resort is huge. The rooms in the 40's are far better then the ones on the other side of the resort which are a bit more run down. Believe me bring a pillow they are too flat to sleep on. The rooms by the pool area are good as well.
Front desk is grumpy at times same with a couple of bar tenders. However, the bartenders will serve you must better if you tip them here and there which is the result at any resort. The entertainment staff was great. They are really the ones who make the resort a much better place.
The people were great and i liked the lay out of the resort. It makes you feel you are not staying at a hotel for a week. Its more of a spread out and homey type of feel to it.
At times local (kids and adults) would show up and swim in the pool and play on the pool table which is really the resorts fault for not keeping a better eye out for locals coming in. Just kick em off the table... remember you are the paying customer.
Food buffet was bad the burgers were decent at the snack bar. There is kikis a 2-3 min walk who have good pizza. and there is el toro about a 10 min walk in the city which has great steak.
Beach was awesome, night shows, were great, and the pool was good.
There are many people who i met there that always come back to the same resort. which is mostly because it does not have a hotel feel to it and the bartenders and entertainment staff are good. Also, The city was close by and the people in the city are very nice. At the end of the day if you are looking for a nice room with high standards this is not the place for you. If you just want to relax at a nice quite beach in a homey resort then this is it. I loved it but i would bring a pillow next time.

Room Tip: try to book in the 40's and bring a pillow
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Where do I start with this hotel? The front desk service did not care about your complaints nor did they speak English at all. My friends room had no air conditioning the first night so she complained. The front desk said that they would send someone over to take a look and no one ever came for the whole week we were there on top of that her toilet flooded her room so she had to bunk in my room because our complaints seemed to get no where. The food was HORRIBLE and so was the wait staff, we had to go up to the drink counter ourselves because no one came to take our drinks. When the waitress came to give us our drinks she was very rude and huffing and puffing like we were bothering her. The food at the local resturants were amazing & I highly reccommend eating ar Kiki's, La Sangria and anyothers. 4 staff got fired on our stay because we interacted with them and fed them food because they could not eat until they went home (considering they worked 12 hour shifts) I found it very insulting for the fact that we paid for this resort and we should be able to do what we want with the food/ drinks. If your looking for entertainment there is NONE AT ALL! My family was the entertainment to tell the truth. Kawama is not a family hotel but more of a retirement home. There was plenty of grumpy old people that liked to fight over chairs because their hotel room was closer to that side of the beach. There are many more complaints that I have but not enough space to write. It is true you do get what you pay for but coming from someone who stayed in a 3 star hotel in other countries this was by far the worst and I will NEVER return if it was the last resort on Earth!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank alyssiapelley
Reviewed 22 April 2011

This hotel was the worst hotel ever! I have been to Cuba two times, the hotel i stayed at before was Playa De Oro. Club Kawama has to be the worst hotel in Cuba! They had no entertainment! None of the workers smiled. None of the workers were friendly.. Ivan, the bartender was the only person who was friendly and made my stay amazing. He always knew what drinks my family and I wanted. He always had a smile on his face. They offered many things, but you get nothing. They said that on your Birthday they give you a cake, a bottle, and a dinner. It was my moms, my aunts, and my birthday while we stayed there and we got nothing. They should not advertise things about their hotel and nothing good happens.They do not have a 24 hour bar. They do not have a 24 hour Snack Bar.At night time the resort is very dark, they have no lights to guide you at night. They could of had more chairs for the guest.
The peopel who always stayed at the resort were also very rude. You go on vacation to meet new people. The guest at this hotel were were rude and had no manners.
The maids did an amazing job. They always kept my room clean. I always had clean towels and everything else I needed.

I will never stay at this resort again.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank CBorden
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Was the Oldest Resort in Varadero but well cared for..Staff was Great and looked after us like one of their own..
Lobby Girl's needed some help on respect but everyone else made up for their shot coming's..
Beach was well cared for and lot's of room for everyone..
Food was like anyplace in Cuba so bring some spice's from home it make's a big difference, never was there a shortage of it..
Room's were clean and well looked after for us, our maid Lucee was the bomb..Bring your own pillow's if you can..
Kawama is close to everything in Varadero Fleamarket's are well within walking distance, as are some good resturant's.. Kikis was great food was Yummyyyy and well worth the money a must if your close by..
All in all a nice resort to stay at and please don't let the Three Star fool you, it's a Five Star in my eye's..

Room Tip: 4805 middle of everything on the resort..
  • Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank prissy70
Reviewed 22 April 2011

The food was so so, the place was great and the staff was amazing

Room Tip: book a room close to the pool
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BeachBunny70
Reviewed 21 April 2011

It was awful. Room cleaned once. Chickens cockle-doodling in the morning. Buffet absolutely disgusting. Sand in the ham and cheese sandwiches. Drinks only thing good.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends