“Not for non-smokers” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Club Kawama
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
“Not for non-smokers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

First take note that people smoke everywhere on resort, and I think this attracts smokers because there were lots of them. Lobby bar would have been a nice place to sit and meet people but way too smokey. This is an old hotel with character but rooms are very out dated. Had superior room right on beach 802 which was a wonderful location. The mattress was thin and you could feel the springs when sitting but we did sleep ok. The air con was quiet and the shower great. curtains old and some broken and mud plastered on a window. Felt more like a cottage. Got past that....Our 3 kids were in one room 1202 and our sons bed was a very old pull out. Mattress was old and thin. He didn't mind too much but I think most people would refuse it.2 double beds were fine. Rooms around pool may be better. We could see they had new windows so maybe newer inside?? Also...Skimmpy with the towels. Had to keep asking for more and still got 1 per person and they were stained., didn't get water bottles till we asked. Kids never did. Didn't know about pool towels till 3rd day. No business services. We were staying there for 4 nights Apr 28-May 2...Breakfast quite good with fresh omelettes, smoothies,toast sausage good. Lunch so so. Dinner awful..we ate out at KiKis 2 times and Jeep safari once. Snack bar had greasy burgers, hot dogs and 1 type of sandwich. that's it. Dogs hanging around didn't like most of what we offered. First time in Cuba so we didn't realized the sand fleas were so bad. lower legs were covered with bites on 2 of us, moderate on 3 of us.This and mosquitoes will probably stop us from coming back. Positives...very friendly staff, nice pool, good drinks, buildings unique. Beach out front was very nice but went for a walk and had to turn back due to garbage like torn beer cans and broken glass. Many sun chairs were broken, couldn't put the backs up. We got past the negatives and still had a great time. Jeep safari is great, Beatles bar had amazing band, enjoyed all the old cars in town, wonderful people in Cuba, Sun and beach were great, Our family slogan became... 2 star no problem, free drinks fixes everything!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mandy G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Okay, I've been home now for 48 hours.. telling friends about my adventures in Cuba and the hotel. .. was contemplating writing this review but alas..here I am soaking my bites in the tub tapping away with my Note 3.

To be honest this resort is not for everyone. It's as simple as that. Hopefully you've read the other reviews about this place before clicking mine. Yes the rooms weren't anything special. Small.. Air conditioned and we had 2 roaches that felt the wrath of my flip flop. But to be honest, my girlfriend and I didn't go to Cuba to hang out in the room all week. And with the help of a 24 hour bar..When I got back to the room after a day of sun and evening of drinks I couldn't care less.

Club Kawama is walking distance from downtown, the market and probably the best restaurant in Varadero, Kiki's. Amazing food amazingly cheap. My girlfriend and I explored the area. . Went to Havana and got begged for a peso or my shirt and hat probably every 5 seconds. But the buildings were beautiful and food was awesome in Havana. We did the catamaran excursion with sunwing. And it was the best day ever... long boat ride snorkeling and lobster dinner on a white sand beach.

We didn't get free beach towels (it's a three star hotel we didn't expect it) we kept one with us at all times from the room to dry off. Beach towels are available with a deposit. We got two bottles of water on check in. And had it refilled at the buffet or the bar by the pool. If you only want fresh bottles every time your thirsty... Learn to drink beer and rum for free.. Or pay for the new bottles.

The buffet was decent. It improves with the occupancy of the club which makes sense. When it got busier the food was amazing. . When occupancy was low it wasn't the best but still decent. The Italian was the best Al La Carte. International. .wasn't anything special. . If you go to the buffet and see the Sriracha you better yell "thanks Kyle" as you use it. I brought a few bottles and left some behind at the salsa station near the hot station in the buffet. Hope the staff let it stay there for everyone else :). They advertise a 24 snack bar.. burgers were good hotdogs and cheese and ham sammies. It's not 24 hrs. .it's like 11 till 4 am... 9 till 5. The booze is 24 hrs though. . Thank god or heads would of rolled. Haha.

We met amazing people there however. Other tourists we went out to town with clubs with and finding lil hole in the walls that serve amazing mojitos. I recommend The Beatles. Huge outdoor patio. Live band with mostly American Music. Calles 66 is basically an outdoor club. . Get the chicken sandwiches there for 2 pesos.. noms. International is an indoor club, huge... but really hot inside don't wear much clothing there. And last but defiantly not least my personal favorite. .The Pirate bar.. it's in a cave... basically a rave in a cave. Best night there ever.

The other tourists defiantly made the trip. We all exchanged info and plan on just meeting at the next resort together the next time we travel. I strongly suggest you make friends with other tourists. Trade supplies and compare adventures.

Yes. Bring toilet paper and learn to squat unless you can hike it back to your room. We were in the 47 building and when we left in the morning we made sure to pack a backpack with everything we would need all day. The beach was amazing. Well, parts of it. The main beach by the main pool was scattered with litter. . I don't blame the resort for that. Garbage bins everywhere, it's just careless tourists... to the west of that beach was the one in front of my building. . Quiet smooth grade to the water.. no screaming kids and not worry about not having shade.

The staff at the hotel were polite to me.. and enjoyed having conversations. Treat them like humans. Not slaves and you will be taken care of without having to shell out pesos. The lobby bar (only if your dry) has amazing coffees. I spent a whole day there enjoying the shade and breeze drinking Spanish coffees. . Cappuccino and finally a 26 of gin with another tourist. The pool bar is the only bar serving beer. Bring your own mug. Or drink out of plastic cups that make solo reds look huge. Apart from the bugs taking shelter in the shade eating you there. . It's fun too. Hidden under the buffet is a beach bar with Fernando. He's a crazy bugger always good for a gut busting laugh and amazing drinks. Jenny is the event coordinator. She teaches Spanish and plays volleyball as well the Mc for the nightly shows. Total sweetheart and will braid your hair for a peso a braid. Mike in the pool bar is awesome too. Quick and friendly.. he's short so don't confuse him with the tall guy with glasses who says his name is Mike but is Miguel. . He's a douche. No other staff members really stand out as I think back. But I didn't have issues with any of them over all.

There is no wifi.. and the phone costed 10 bucks for 5 minutes which turns to 4 min after the person picks up. Be prepared to unplug and remind yourself what life was like before you did the iPhone prayer all the time. The computer I've heard was slow... I didn't care to try it myself. I can live without knowing what someone ate for lunch. The gym was left lacking.. mosquito heaven in there. Of your the person that can't go a week without pumping iron. Find another hotel. Massages were good however.

If you'r the couple that loves to be waited on..papered and gets mad on asking for things more than once.. Don't book here. Go to the end of the peninsula. . At a 5 star and relax. If your used to roughing it exploring the area and taking in the culture. Book here. Seriously it's not that bad for the 20-40 age bracket.

So, would I go to Kawama again? Sure! Food was decent drinks pouring and made a lot of great friends. . I'd bring bug spray.. about 2 to 3 rolls of tp. . A bigger cup and low expectations with the goal of relaxing and enjoying the fact your in Cuba for less than a hundred a day.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Kyle M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This resort is awesome if your trying to save a buck. But make sure you stay on the east or central side of the hotel. I stayed on the east, in the 29 block and my room was immaculate, not a bug in sight! The phone in our room didn't work and we didn't receive beach towels, so it was a good thing I brought my own! The a la carte restaurants were fantastic, the grill chefs were on a point and the staff seemed to go out of their way to make me smile.....that's after tipping a couple pesos here and there. The rest of the food was well gross...But there are good restaurants that are cheap and within walking distance.
I would definitely go back, so long as I could stay on the east side of the resort!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Josie_Ely
Welland, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

AWFUL!!!
Tried to plan a nice relaxing, affordable vacation getaway with my Mother. I will never travel to Cuba, through Hola Sun or to Club Kawama again!!
I paid extra to upgrade my room and receive a stocked mini fridge upon arrival- never received it. I had to complain numerous times about my broken air conditioner, broken toilet, and unstocked mini fridge before anything was done.
MOLD everywhere in the room, windows boarded up, broken phone.
Advertised to have 24 hr snack bar... there is no such thing!! The "BBQ" that only cooked hamburgers, hot dogs and ham and cheese sandwiches only operated certain hours of the day and only when it was working.
Disgusting....thanks for making my 1st experience to Cuba an AWFUL one!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Melissa H

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

well, that was a week i will forget fast!! we just got back from one week, apr 19-26, and was so looking forward to it, but, that didnt last long-----no beach towels for 3 days, had to buy ours at store, no pool with beds in it, as advertised, which this is why we booked this one, convention took over the hotel buffet, poor maintenance of beach, bartenders not friendly, total disappointment
we did know it was a 3 star, have been to Cuba a number of times to 3 stars, but, none like this.
this was definitely a 2 star !!!!.

Room Tip: well, i requested to be close to main area, we got put in block 30, farthest away on 3rdfloor (i h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed the first night and complained the next day. Had to wait another night and then was transferred to Barlovento which I assume is a sister resort. We stayed in the 30 block so I can't really say how the other blocks are. Very run down resort. I can't understand why people go there more than once. I will NEVER return. Everyone is pretty nice, especially if you give them a few pesos. Our room was disgusting. Furniture falling apart, mold, super small. The beach made it worth it though for sure. The food was DISGUSTING. Sorry but I know Cuba is known for not so good food but its definitely the resorts that give it a bad name. We went out to eat 4 different times and it was AMAZING. If you don't like the resort food, go out and eat!!! Super cheap and DELICIOUS! Do not have their so called hamburgers...they are nasty. Buffett is gross. Book the a la cartes!!! We went to both and they were actually pretty good!!

Room Tip: Upgrade...honestly...UPGRADE!! You will be very disappointed if you don't!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
St. Marys
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is a solid 3 property that has a five star beach. 30minutes from the airport and a short walk along the canal to the downtown ,the many markets, restaurants and hotels that line the beaches of Varadero.
The Kawama is stretched over a 1.5 km of beach and so seems like a lot of walking if you are in the 400 block and are heading to the lobby. All the rooms are two 3/4 beds, or at least all the rooms that our group of 26 saw or had over the course of the week. We arrived about 9 pm and I was the last of our party to check in. Ray, our bellman was the best, as it was to five different rooms before we found one that had hydro, semi air and we were tired enough to call it a night. The air still wasn't working in the morning, so we were moved to the building next door and life was great in 3307.Air, lots of hot and cold water and a comfortable bed. PS. the pillows are a little on the skinny side, so BYOP. Also the safe is an extra 20CUC so if interested, do this at checkin. Our maid was amazing and we thank her for all her help in making our stay best.
The rooms are only meant for two people and there are no cots available. Each unit has a
fridge, but it is wise to check to make sure it works. Each room get two small bottles of water and that is all that is provided by the resort. You can refill the bottles at any of the bars. In your bag of goodies, bring AA and AAA batteries for the remotes if you get one for the air and the tv. A couple of our group shared controls. Some of the rooms on the resort need some refreshing
and some just need some gentle maintenance.

The resort has had recent updates to their lobby, pool and pool bar. There is another pool with bar and snack bar in the 400 block and is a more private location for the afternoon if you don't want the busy of the main pool. There is also a brand new pool, or that is what I am told by the repeaters near the tennis courts and the coffee bar. No shade here though. Lots of chairs everywhere be it pool or beach. Lifeguards are on the beach thru the day. Bring your own beach towel so that you can find where you have been and you don't have to worry about misplacing the resort towel. The tennis court has a good top but there is no night lighting.
There is also a gym available for use from 9am to 6pm.

The coffee bar is excellent. Try the iced coffee for a treat. You can also get coffee at every bar and restaurant on the property.

No beer at the lobby bar but is on tap at the pool bar. Bring a Bubba or Tim Hortons insulated cup as the plastic cups are small and in the heat, do not stay cool long. Slushie machine at the pool bar was hit and miss and the lobby bar had one the last day of our stay. Bartenders were all professional and made some great beverages.

We did both a la cartes and found them to be excellent. The Gran Canal was the international and we did a group party for one of the girls was celebrating her birthday. Leila helped with the surprise and it was awesome with good friends and great service. We did the Italian at the end of our stay, and again the food was excellent. The buffet always surprised us. Lunch seemed to be the best time for selection. I was told one day that a friend of mine had died and gone to heaven as they had liver, swiss chard and italian all at the same time.The snack bar at the pool bar served burgers , hot dogs and ham and cheese along with their 4 bags of fries a day. Yum.
Pizza at the far snack bar was excellent. I was never disappointed by the food served. Thank you.

Daily activities included: tennis, beach volleyball, basketball, ping pong and dance lessons
Non motorized water sports include: kayak, catamaran, pedal boats, windsurfing and snorkeling.
Didn't really see a lot of the entertainment staff except at the night shows. Heard the announcements for volleyball at about 11am every day and most of us decided the trees we were lounging under was less stressful. Their massages and spa services were well priced and some of the girls from Wasaga Beach took advantage.I can't comment on the kids club as I didn't get to see it.

There was a show every evening at 930pm and you could always count on being entertained. The Disco follows from 11 to 2. One night they had a beach party, which seemed to go really well. Great evening weather helped.

The internet is almost nonexistant at this resort. It is dialup service and the computer is slower than molasses in January along with enough popups to scare you into not going on. This is something that not only this resort needs to upgrade. I could not risk going on to my business email while away as I did not want to take the chance of a virus.More and more of us are counting on access to home, business and work while away in destination and this should be
addressed quickly to keep the resort competitive. I do recommend WIFI, at least in the lobby, and the sooner the better.

The resort does exchange currency at the front reception. They only charge 2 cents more than the currency exchange or bank,but that being said, they only have so much so if they are running full, it does make it a challenge.

ALWAYS carry toilet paper with you. None of the public bathrooms seem to have any EVER. and all the womens' bathrooms do no have toilet seats, so don't plan on doing any more than what you have to... Stole TP from the men's room a couple of time. Youdo what you have to do...

It is DARK at night on some pathways & walkways are uneven -bring a flashlight!

This resort is on the hoponhopoff bus route.An all day ticket costs CUC 5, 9.30am to 8pm. (Watch out for the end, as we never saw a bus heading back to the resort after 715pm so had to take a taxi back)
The open top bus is a great way to see Varadero of the red or green open-top
double decker tourist buses doing the rounds. There are with 45 hop on/hop off stops
lining all the resorts and shopping malls along the entire length of the peninsula.
It passes by every15 minutes to half-hour at well-marked stops with route and distance information.You can buys tickets on the bus itself. In the peak busy season it may get a bit busy but generally this is undoubtedly the best way to get around Varadero.

Most of us (we were a group o 26) said we would return as overall, it was a great escape from the LONG Ontario winter.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the bellman to check the air is on and that the temp. will turn down or get him to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends