“Terrible”

Hotel Club Kawama
Ranked #47 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
“Terrible”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!! this hotel was the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. The staff aside from one or two were extremely rude and very unhelpful! Our first room we got was disgustingly dirty and smelt like sewage our second room was better but still pretty gross! The only way to survive this resort was my heavy heavy drinking and my choices were extremely limited...expect to drink only beer and rum! Overall this hotel was the worst and most boring disgusting hotel I've ever been to and to be honest was the trip from hell!

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Amanda1218

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ontario
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was booked in to the Kawama for April 21-28. I was very disappointed to learn upon arrival that they were overbooked and I had been moved to the Barlovento, but thought I'd go with the flow. I was able to use the Kawama's facilities while staying at Barlovento, so I did. While the Sunwing rep assured me that the Barlovento was a superior hotel, I'm not so certain he was correct. The staff at Kawama was SO friendly and helpful--I tipped far more here than I did at Barlovento, where I couldn't even get a waiter in the buffet. I had smiles and great service wherever I went, whether it was the bars, front desk, or the main restaurant. Imagine, a waitress that greets you, smiles, AND brings coffee and juice!

Another thing I really liked about Kawama was the music--it was everywhere! Fun stuff playing during the day, musicians in the buffet at lunch and dinner, the band in the evenings was fun to dance to...awesome. THAT'S why I visit Cuba.

I hope to visit Kawama with my family and actually stay on the property. That kilometre of beach was magnificent, and the staff made me feel very welcome. El Brocal was a hidden gem, too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Desmei
Reviewed 5 May 2014

First take note that people smoke everywhere on resort, and I think this attracts smokers because there were lots of them. Lobby bar would have been a nice place to sit and meet people but way too smokey. This is an old hotel with character but rooms are very out dated. Had superior room right on beach 802 which was a wonderful location. The mattress was thin and you could feel the springs when sitting but we did sleep ok. The air con was quiet and the shower great. curtains old and some broken and mud plastered on a window. Felt more like a cottage. Got past that....Our 3 kids were in one room 1202 and our sons bed was a very old pull out. Mattress was old and thin. He didn't mind too much but I think most people would refuse it.2 double beds were fine. Rooms around pool may be better. We could see they had new windows so maybe newer inside?? Also...Skimmpy with the towels. Had to keep asking for more and still got 1 per person and they were stained., didn't get water bottles till we asked. Kids never did. Didn't know about pool towels till 3rd day. No business services. We were staying there for 4 nights Apr 28-May 2...Breakfast quite good with fresh omelettes, smoothies,toast sausage good. Lunch so so. Dinner awful..we ate out at KiKis 2 times and Jeep safari once. Snack bar had greasy burgers, hot dogs and 1 type of sandwich. that's it. Dogs hanging around didn't like most of what we offered. First time in Cuba so we didn't realized the sand fleas were so bad. lower legs were covered with bites on 2 of us, moderate on 3 of us.This and mosquitoes will probably stop us from coming back. Positives...very friendly staff, nice pool, good drinks, buildings unique. Beach out front was very nice but went for a walk and had to turn back due to garbage like torn beer cans and broken glass. Many sun chairs were broken, couldn't put the backs up. We got past the negatives and still had a great time. Jeep safari is great, Beatles bar had amazing band, enjoyed all the old cars in town, wonderful people in Cuba, Sun and beach were great, Our family slogan became... 2 star no problem, free drinks fixes everything!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mandy G

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Okay, I've been home now for 48 hours.. telling friends about my adventures in Cuba and the hotel. .. was contemplating writing this review but alas..here I am soaking my bites in the tub tapping away with my Note 3.

To be honest this resort is not for everyone. It's as simple as that. Hopefully you've read the other reviews about this place before clicking mine. Yes the rooms weren't anything special. Small.. Air conditioned and we had 2 roaches that felt the wrath of my flip flop. But to be honest, my girlfriend and I didn't go to Cuba to hang out in the room all week. And with the help of a 24 hour bar..When I got back to the room after a day of sun and evening of drinks I couldn't care less.

Club Kawama is walking distance from downtown, the market and probably the best restaurant in Varadero, Kiki's. Amazing food amazingly cheap. My girlfriend and I explored the area. . Went to Havana and got begged for a peso or my shirt and hat probably every 5 seconds. But the buildings were beautiful and food was awesome in Havana. We did the catamaran excursion with sunwing. And it was the best day ever... long boat ride snorkeling and lobster dinner on a white sand beach.

We didn't get free beach towels (it's a three star hotel we didn't expect it) we kept one with us at all times from the room to dry off. Beach towels are available with a deposit. We got two bottles of water on check in. And had it refilled at the buffet or the bar by the pool. If you only want fresh bottles every time your thirsty... Learn to drink beer and rum for free.. Or pay for the new bottles.

The buffet was decent. It improves with the occupancy of the club which makes sense. When it got busier the food was amazing. . When occupancy was low it wasn't the best but still decent. The Italian was the best Al La Carte. International. .wasn't anything special. . If you go to the buffet and see the Sriracha you better yell "thanks Kyle" as you use it. I brought a few bottles and left some behind at the salsa station near the hot station in the buffet. Hope the staff let it stay there for everyone else :). They advertise a 24 snack bar.. burgers were good hotdogs and cheese and ham sammies. It's not 24 hrs. .it's like 11 till 4 am... 9 till 5. The booze is 24 hrs though. . Thank god or heads would of rolled. Haha.

We met amazing people there however. Other tourists we went out to town with clubs with and finding lil hole in the walls that serve amazing mojitos. I recommend The Beatles. Huge outdoor patio. Live band with mostly American Music. Calles 66 is basically an outdoor club. . Get the chicken sandwiches there for 2 pesos.. noms. International is an indoor club, huge... but really hot inside don't wear much clothing there. And last but defiantly not least my personal favorite. .The Pirate bar.. it's in a cave... basically a rave in a cave. Best night there ever.

The other tourists defiantly made the trip. We all exchanged info and plan on just meeting at the next resort together the next time we travel. I strongly suggest you make friends with other tourists. Trade supplies and compare adventures.

Yes. Bring toilet paper and learn to squat unless you can hike it back to your room. We were in the 47 building and when we left in the morning we made sure to pack a backpack with everything we would need all day. The beach was amazing. Well, parts of it. The main beach by the main pool was scattered with litter. . I don't blame the resort for that. Garbage bins everywhere, it's just careless tourists... to the west of that beach was the one in front of my building. . Quiet smooth grade to the water.. no screaming kids and not worry about not having shade.

The staff at the hotel were polite to me.. and enjoyed having conversations. Treat them like humans. Not slaves and you will be taken care of without having to shell out pesos. The lobby bar (only if your dry) has amazing coffees. I spent a whole day there enjoying the shade and breeze drinking Spanish coffees. . Cappuccino and finally a 26 of gin with another tourist. The pool bar is the only bar serving beer. Bring your own mug. Or drink out of plastic cups that make solo reds look huge. Apart from the bugs taking shelter in the shade eating you there. . It's fun too. Hidden under the buffet is a beach bar with Fernando. He's a crazy bugger always good for a gut busting laugh and amazing drinks. Jenny is the event coordinator. She teaches Spanish and plays volleyball as well the Mc for the nightly shows. Total sweetheart and will braid your hair for a peso a braid. Mike in the pool bar is awesome too. Quick and friendly.. he's short so don't confuse him with the tall guy with glasses who says his name is Mike but is Miguel. . He's a douche. No other staff members really stand out as I think back. But I didn't have issues with any of them over all.

There is no wifi.. and the phone costed 10 bucks for 5 minutes which turns to 4 min after the person picks up. Be prepared to unplug and remind yourself what life was like before you did the iPhone prayer all the time. The computer I've heard was slow... I didn't care to try it myself. I can live without knowing what someone ate for lunch. The gym was left lacking.. mosquito heaven in there. Of your the person that can't go a week without pumping iron. Find another hotel. Massages were good however.

If you'r the couple that loves to be waited on..papered and gets mad on asking for things more than once.. Don't book here. Go to the end of the peninsula. . At a 5 star and relax. If your used to roughing it exploring the area and taking in the culture. Book here. Seriously it's not that bad for the 20-40 age bracket.

So, would I go to Kawama again? Sure! Food was decent drinks pouring and made a lot of great friends. . I'd bring bug spray.. about 2 to 3 rolls of tp. . A bigger cup and low expectations with the goal of relaxing and enjoying the fact your in Cuba for less than a hundred a day.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Kyle M
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This resort is awesome if your trying to save a buck. But make sure you stay on the east or central side of the hotel. I stayed on the east, in the 29 block and my room was immaculate, not a bug in sight! The phone in our room didn't work and we didn't receive beach towels, so it was a good thing I brought my own! The a la carte restaurants were fantastic, the grill chefs were on a point and the staff seemed to go out of their way to make me smile.....that's after tipping a couple pesos here and there. The rest of the food was well gross...But there are good restaurants that are cheap and within walking distance.
I would definitely go back, so long as I could stay on the east side of the resort!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Josie_Ely
Welland, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

AWFUL!!!
Tried to plan a nice relaxing, affordable vacation getaway with my Mother. I will never travel to Cuba, through Hola Sun or to Club Kawama again!!
I paid extra to upgrade my room and receive a stocked mini fridge upon arrival- never received it. I had to complain numerous times about my broken air conditioner, broken toilet, and unstocked mini fridge before anything was done.
MOLD everywhere in the room, windows boarded up, broken phone.
Advertised to have 24 hr snack bar... there is no such thing!! The "BBQ" that only cooked hamburgers, hot dogs and ham and cheese sandwiches only operated certain hours of the day and only when it was working.
Disgusting....thanks for making my 1st experience to Cuba an AWFUL one!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Melissa H
ontario
Reviewed 30 April 2014

well, that was a week i will forget fast!! we just got back from one week, apr 19-26, and was so looking forward to it, but, that didnt last long-----no beach towels for 3 days, had to buy ours at store, no pool with beds in it, as advertised, which this is why we booked this one, convention took over the hotel buffet, poor maintenance of beach, bartenders not friendly, total disappointment
we did know it was a 3 star, have been to Cuba a number of times to 3 stars, but, none like this.
this was definitely a 2 star !!!!.

Room Tip: well, i requested to be close to main area, we got put in block 30, farthest away on 3rdfloor (i h...