Hotel Club Kawama
HotelsClick
US$442
HotelsClick
1,983 results
All reviewsbring bug spraygo with an open mindlots of hot watercommunist countryham cheese sandwichthe double decker busmagic showhot saucelobsterdance lessonskeep in mindgreat vacationrepeatersfernandobingocalle
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I define this hotel to be good only for couple of days. We had standard rooms with which we were satisfied, but since it was our first time in Cuba and we spend 2 days in Kawama only (than we traveled to Trinidad and Habana) we were satisfied. Hotel was ok, beach was great but it was almost empty (June 2014), bar at the beach had perfect bartender called Fernando (Last name: NO PROBLEMO) who danced when he made coctails and talked to us all the time :)

Room Tip: I believe you should ask for superior room if you stay for longer time. We traveled "low budget" so did not have one, but if you are not too demanding it will be no problem for you :)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jakub B
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First time in Cuba and I picked the best place to be! Kawama is simply georgous! Hotel staff are very friendly. The beach is simply breath taking..the entertaiment is fun,funny and the dancers are wonderful! I would go back in a heartbeat, as a matter of fact, I can't wait till April 2015 when I go back!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank meotay
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'm 20 years old and went with 2 of my best friends from May 4 - May 19. We had read every review we could find and decided to take a chance on Kawama because the reviews were 50/50. We have stayed in some very questionable hotels in Turkey, so we're used to not the best conditions. Kawama however, is in its own category of terrible.

Problems at Club Kawama:
- bug popped out of a bun
- watched a chef rubbed his nose on a platter of sandwich meat
- served rotten fruit
- food was inedible (went elsewhere for food as did almost every other person we met at Kawama)
- stray dogs begged for food while you ate
- 3/4 of the resort is completely closed but SunWing advertises the whole resort is open: advertised having 336 rooms, my guess is maybe 100 are actually open so when 1 room isn't up to par, they don't have many rooms (or any) to switch you in to
- we asked to switch rooms (our first room was 10 ft from a busy road and 5 ft from the sidewalk with a 3 ft "wall" separating the resort from the public. We had to have our blinds closed the entire time due to people walking past and the other window closed due to it looking directly into someone's house) they couldn't move us for 3 days because they didn't have enough rooms. Then they moved us to a room where the shower was only a dribble (I have a video) and told us they would have to move us 3 days later because someone else needed our room so we could never settle down
- pillows are an inch thick and smelled like poo (had to go out and find a pillow at the market because I couldn't sleep)
- room was mosquito infested
- never washed the sheets even when we striped them off and put them on the floor OR left a note (written in Spanish) with a little gift, asking that our sheets be washed
- stray dogs ran up to you, barked and growled when you walked onto the beach

After 5 days we couldn't take it anymore. I spent 5 hours one morning fighting to be switched resorts. We were upgraded, but not without a fee. I am still fighting SunWing for some sort of refund for this terrible resort. From the bottom of my heart I truly advise anyone to not pay for such conditions. Unless you're 100% willing to deal with the above mentioned, it will just be a huge disappointment. Like every other review says, the beach is amazing, but that is the case for every beach resort in Cuba. The resort we switched to had an equally amazing beach. The staff for the most part are also very nice, however that was definitely not enough to keep us there. The first half of our "vacation" was awful and all 3 of us wanted to go home. Not the kind of "vacation" we paid for. Hope this helps anyone looking!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
24  Thank J B
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were happy with the short bus ride from the airport to the hotel, and were first in line to check in when we arrived at 11pm. Our rooms were clean, yet small and plain.
The beach was gorgeous, and the pool was freshly renovated. There were three days when the water was too rough for swimming, which we spent at the pool (right next to the snack bar).
Our only complaints were the food and the bugs.
My husband and I both suffer from Hanger (hungry-anger), and need to eat often in order to keep our marriage intact. We are not picky, have traveled many places and tried many types of food.
The only meal that was actually edible here was breakfast, where a lovely man made eggs and omelettes to order for you. Make sure to tip, as he is a hard worker and is very nice :)
The lunch buffet was horrible. The food sat out in the heat with flies buzzing around it for the duration of lunch. We laughed at the horror stories of the food in Varadero being horrible..but at least at this resort the stories are true! After the first night my husband and I were both sick and the third day while eating at the buffet I chomped down on a rock that was in the rice.
We ended up eating at the delicious pizza spot Kiki's about a minute down the road to the left when you leave the hotel for lunch and on the nights we couldn't book an a la carte. I would suggest bringing tupperware so that you can take your leftovers back to your room's mini fridge. The portions were huge and the prices insanely cheap. This and the snack bar (which serves ham and cheese sandwiches and burgers and chips) really saved us!
The bugs came out in the evening and it is not uncommon to see guests of the resort walking around with their legs completely covered in huge red welts from the tiny black flies. Make sure you bring lots of bug spray and stay off the beach at night and you should be fine.
If you are looking for a cheap and clean resort with a nice beach, and don't mind going off the resort for some of your meals, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: The beachfront Superior rooms looked really nice, but were booked solid for the duration of our stay. We looked at upgrading to the poolside Superior rooms, but they smelled a little mildewy and would have been very loud at night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank h0watt
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As this was our first trip to cuba and had talked to lots of people about cuba and read the reviews I went with a open mind, I heard that the food in cuba is not very good, So I wasn`t too shocked when I found the food to be really bad at the hotel, On the buffet there was Cow tongue and Pig`s feet simmering in a nasty looking sauce, Potato salad tasted different every day....not good, In the morning I tried an omelet two times and both times it was full of egg shells, I am not a picky traveler but this place by far has been the worst place ive been too. To start out the vacation we flew thru sunwing and had a twelve hour flight delay...wish we knew this before traveling from home to the airport which is a 5 hour drive, we didn't find out till 6am when we were waiting in line to check inn at airport YVR...We lost a night due to flight delay, then when we arrived at the hotel they gave us a room in the 44 block and its the furthest away from beach,pool, and food, as we entered the room we noticed that there was black mould in the room...on the beds and in the closet and bathroom roof....I went to lobby and asked for a different room and they said we could only switch if we paid a 150.00 cuc upgrade charge...didn't want to really pay it but anything was better than that mess of a room we had been first assigned....So we paid it and went to our new room which was 501....gorgeous room...by the ocean and very clean....never received mini bar like promised or welcome bottle of rum until last day when I went and complained after talking to a few other guest who said we should have gotten it and shouldn`t have to pay for a room upgrade....but we never recieved a reciept to show we paid so we had no proof....(quick 150.00 for the front desk lady) The repeat guest`s sure get alot of special attention.....special dinners..rooms..service....We tipped soo much to everyone and recieved crappy service....the more we tipped our maid the less she did! I bought water for the gardeners as it was soo hot and the water they drank was brown, so I would give them fresh clean water and they were so grateful......We went to KIKI`S for dinner three times and it was awsome!! The lobster dinner is incredible and for only 17.00 and its huge!! Went and did a catamaran day snorkeling and swim with dolphins and that was awsome as well, took us to a private island and had lobster shrimp lunch!!! Perfect day! The bugs at the resort are horrible...bug spray a must!! No internet at the hotel and you cant buy calling cards to call Canada!!! Very frustrating!!! The market down the road is a good place for deals but watch out as they are all scamming you....different prices for different people.....keep your bank receipts and check your credit card statements as the bank over charged my visa by 97.00 and i didn't keep my bank receipt......The beach is gorgeous......met awsome friends that made the trip soo much more fun...all in all it was a good spending time with my husband and wont return to this hotel in the future! Make sure you ask for all receipts and that you get whats promised!!!

Room Tip: Beach front!!! Take some food from home!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple