“Nice all-inclusive hotel for reasonable price”

Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Nice all-inclusive hotel for reasonable price”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed in Arenas Doradas for one week and i think it is good option for people who travel on budget and still wants all-inclusive resort. Food was okay just it wasn't changing at all so i had to choose everyday from the same options. Garden is very nice, room service everyday. I didn't like the beach that much, it is much nicer when you go closer to bus station. Anyway it wasn't bad choice for me and i got what i payed for.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sonia_ps
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear customers, thank you for your comments help us to improve day by day.

Comment that we have hired a new Chef Italian and we are in a major change process standart menus in our restaurants that are sure to please all our customers.

We hope to return soon with us and can enjoy all the improvements we are making.

Agustín Sainz Parrado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Having never been to Varadero before, I spent some time on this site, trying to work out which resort would suit our needs and offer us good value for money. Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas did just that. In fact, I'd say it exceeded our expectations. We loved its location, the facilities, the excellent evening entertainment, our suite and, considering Cuban food doesn't have a wonderful reputation, we thought the buffet and alternative restaurants did okay. The pool area and resort in general was very well maintained and the immediate beach area in front of the resort was clearly one of the most well managed sections of the strip. Staff were pretty friendly and there was information available if you're interested in excursions. We'd definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Clare H
Dear Sir, on behalf of the Staff and myself wanted to thank your comments day to day help us to improve day by day in search of excellence.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week from Nov 22-29. Myself & husband mid-30s, my parents early 60s and our 11 month old.

Sunwing - flights got changed 2 weeks before from 4 hour direct to a touchdown in Montego Bay making them 7 & 6 hour flights. Disappointing.

Transfer to & from hotel/airport - Our "guide" to the hotel was amazing, our return was running 30 mins late.

Check-in/check-out & reception - everything went smoothly. We got exactly the rooms we requested. Staff was always easy to deal with & very friendly. Never had to wait long.

Rooms - we stayed in 521 & 519. Not yet upgraded. Very basic rooms. Two doubles pushed together. Rooms were dated, but kept very clean. They provided a pack'n'play type crib for our 11 month old, it was quite worn with a plush mattress added to the base. A/C worked great. Always hot water in the shower & great water pressure. No facecloths at all. Room was always clean and towels changed when we requested them.

Bars - Coffee bar every morning was amazing. Lobby bar, pool & beach bars all made great drinks. A little strong so I just asked them to go easy.

Restaurants - food is repetitive on the buffet, we did not like anything at the seafood a la carte (beach restaurant) stick to the buffet, we stuck to the made-to-order stations (omelets at breakfast, grill & pasta at dinner). Beach restaurant for lunch has a great BBQ for fresh food. As usual bread & ice cream was great. The food we had off resort in Varadero & Havana was 100 times better and I recommend trying a restaurant or two offsite.

Beach - amazing. The surf was quite strong, mostly yellow flag days. The men loved playing in the surf.

Pool - always clean and some good areas for shade. The kiddie pool and the gradual entry on one side of the pool was great for our 11 month old.

Staff - wonderful & friendly. Occasionally service in the buffet was slow. Front desk staff were the best I've dealt with anywhere I've stayed, I was very impressed. Maintenance staff, fast & efficient.

We had some issues with our rooms but maintenance staff was fast to respond and fixed everything immediately.

We got an amazing price on this vacation, however the food reflected that. This was my second trip (first was 5 yrs ago) but food seems to have gone downhill. We probably won't stay here again as we'll either stay at the same price point in town and eat off resort or check out another part of the island. We would love to do a longer visit to Havana.

This resort is a good location for a discount family vacation.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank PrincessDoubt
Dear guests, first of all I thank you for your comments as they help us to improve day by day in search of excellence.
We can see that everything in the complex except they liked the food.
I want to tell you that we recently
hired a new Italian Chef is changing menus in all restaurants of the Hotel and I think this will be liked by all our customers.
Thank you again for your feedback we are giving them rapid response to enhance your stay.

Ajax
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I just had to say we just got back this resort and we had a great time. The weather wasn't the greatest but the staff and the resort made up for it. You never go to Cuba for the food , but this time the food in the buffet ws really good. If you've never been to a resort with a swim up bar- your missing alot! The board walk to the ocean is something to be seen it brings the beauty and charm that makes you want to return and never leave. . The shows by the dancers were outstanding and brings the night life alive to the young and old. We saw so much and the trip was one of the best I've had in Varadero. If you want the best buildings to stay in- there is no bad rooms!

Room Tip: Bring a bath plugg if you'd like to take a bath! iF YOU'D LIKE TO GIVE SOMETHING TO THE STA...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pat d
Dear Sir, first of all wanted to thank you for your comments.
It makes us happy to know that we have met your expectations and have spent an unforgettable holiday.
We hope to return soon with us and can see the improvements we are making.

Greetings from Cuba

Campbellford, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Have arrived home after a week's vacation at this resort and was pleasantly surprised. Having been used to much larger resorts in years previous (1000 rooms), I did find adjusting to the smaller size of this resort difficult but the one thing that stood out to me the most was how clean and meticulously kept this resort is. The grounds are beautiful and workers are constantly keeping the property well maintained.

Rooms are basic but large and extremely clean. Kudos to the maids who do an excellent job here. I also felt very safe leaving my belongings out and we actually did not even bother with the safe. We kept our valuables tucked away, however, on the occasions when I left jewellery out by mistake, it was always found where I left it the next evening. I was also impressed by the showers which had good water pressure and we had hot water every day. The toilets also had excellent flush (which is a rarity in Cuba...lol). The beds are firm, which I love, and the pillows flat and hard (it's Cuba...lol). Blankets were plentiful and the air conditioning worked fantastic...best I've come across in terms of controlling fan speed and temp. (all by remote control).

The beach is beautiful and I was happy to see that we did not have to walk over a long boardwalk surrounded by mangroves in order to get to the beach. In fact, you can see the water from the resort pool area, which was great!

Food was average for Cuba. I always stick to the safe foods when in Cuba and am never too brave so my diet consists of eggs, bread (Cuban bread is amazing), French fries, bacon and pasta with red sauce. Boring I know. I did however miss not having pizza at lunch. The only place you can find pizza on this resort is at the Italian a la Carte in the evenings. The Italian restaurant was horrid the night we went!! Buffet seems to have a great selection for those more adventurous eaters.

Staff is excellent at this resort with friendly service bountiful and smiles plentiful. We found no difference in service whether you tipped or not. The only complaint in this department is that they only ever had one bartender working at the beach bar and the pool bar. Lines were often long and after 3pm at the pool, you'd have to wait upwards of 10-15 mins for a drink. One bartender covering a large circular bar is crazy. I finally resorted to walking to the beach bar to get a drink to bring back to the pool later in the day. You could likely do this 3-4 times before 1 person at the pool bar received their order. Staff at the lobby bar were excellent and remembered your drinks. Lifeguards at the beach were very friendly and conversational. Leste was a stand-out!

We found the lobby atmosphere to be lacking at this resort. Most times we travel, you can park yourself in the lobby and find countless laughs with other patrons with socializing/partying going into the wee hours. Here it appeared to be more subdued. Because of this, we ended up going into Varadero 4 nights to find some excitement (the Beatles Bar is phenomenal!!). Usually when travelling to Varadero resorts such as Memories, we never felt the need to leave the resort as the lobby and disco were always hopping. I was happy to see self-serve champagne and orange juice one night which was yummy!

Overall, we had an absolutely fantastic time. If you are looking for a party scene, you will likely find this resort a little bit too reserved but if you are looking for a chilled-out, relaxing vacation, this makes a good choice.

Room Tip: Buildings 6 and 7 are closest to beach.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CurlGirl76
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Sir, first of all wanted to thank your comments are so important to us and make us improve every day.
We are glad that you found our resort in a place of rest and good service and rest assured that we have taken note of the comments of the Italian restaurant and pool service which I assure you will not happen again.

Agustin Sainz Parrado
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We arrived at this resort in the wee hours of the morning (4:00 am) and were blown away to discover that we were able to get a freshly made burger dog (hamburger pattie on a hot dog bun :o) at the poolside cafe at that time of morning! Never, in all our years of traveling have we been able to do that, I was impressed off the hop!

We were in building 6 which is very close to the beach and far away from the disco. Room was clean and spacious, bed too hard for our liking but that was really the only issue besides having some noisy party animal upstairs neighbors for a couple of day but they eventually settled down (from exhaustion I'm sure!). This resort is more tranquil and calm than a lot of the all inclusive resorts so that was very nice for a change being we are not party people.

Food was great, not a single day did we go hungry! Everything on the buffet was edible, not everything was great but when you're cooking that much variety for that many people, really, are you going to get it perfect every time? Unfortunately we didn't get to partake in many of the a la carte meals but the seafood dinner was spectacular and the gourmet was pretty good too. Didn't do the Cuban or the Italian a la cartes though :o(

Drinks were plentiful as is expected but they are always mixed way too strong for me so I had to watch and stop them after a "splash" otherwise I simply couldn't drink it. Coffee bar is spectacular, love the mocca cappuchino!

The staff all over the resort are friendly and always willing to help. Granted you will definitely get better service if you pass along a peso or two here and there but there is no need to tip each and every time if you prefer not to.

The nightly entertainment was quite good at the stage and on Sunday nights they do the water show at the pool which is a must-see for everyone! The musicians that play during meals are wonderful and the piano player in the main lobby makes for great ambiance.

I did partake in a reflexology treatment from the medical clinic while I was there, it was quite enjoyable and 30 minutes was only 18 pesos so also a great deal for even more relaxation :o)

The beach is spectacular with plenty of lounge chairs available. Although there were people on the beach selling clothing, hats, drinks, etc they never pushed or even approached you directly which was so nice compared to my experience in Dominican where they were pushy beyond pushy!

Overall, this resort is fabulous, we had an amazing holiday and would go back in a heartbeat! Our only real complaint is about the Noseeum/sand flies. They are vicious! I am one of the lucky ones that these bugs don't seem to like my blood (my husband says I must taste bitter LOL) but wow, he was top of their menu the entire week! He has bites everywhere (yes, and I do mean EVERYWHERE!), I was very thankful that I took lots of Afterbite because it was the only thing that kept him sane from the itching.

Room Tip: Building 6 is closest to the beach but farthest from the food. It was one of the quietest locations...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roxanne L
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Sirs, thank you very much for your kind comments.
We are very happy to have met your expectations.
It is for all the Hotel Staff have gotten them a pleasure to spend an unforgettable holiday.

Receive greetings from Cuba

Director General
Laval, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is our third resort in Varadero .we were in building 6,as soon as we arrived, our fridge wasn't working, the balcony light wasn't working , and one of the lamp light in the room to.it took 2 days to change the fridge thanks to a lady from Calgary who knows the management .
Our building was a bit far from the lobby and the restaurant ,in the morning there is No place to get coffee except in the lobby, so will be wise if you can bring small coffee machine with you.the food wasn't as expected , and the high gin is poor, I got sick the third day ,diarrhea and vomiting , and couldn't eat any thing for the rest of our vacation, we meet few family's some of them was sick as me, so I was along....you figure from what, ...2 days in bed, the 3 day went out a bit ,and came back, I couldn't eat any thing for the rest of our vacation , lived on small bread daily,and water..if you decided to call home from the lobby, my advice to you, is time your self for how many minuets you talk,because 2 time out of 4 they tried to add extra .the beach is nice as any other hotels , hotel shuttle is unpredictable.not going back to this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for room near the main lobby
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matta N

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels